Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

at the drags

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2007, 05:31 AM
ModernMuscle
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: at the drags

I live roughly 4 hours north of him, and when I mean north, I mean up and to the north, lol
Our usual DA is 5500-5750. Me with 4.10s, underdrives, and exhaust could only muster a 14.1 @ 99.9 mph, granted it was on street tires, and with a 2.15 60', and spinning into third, even feathering it, and a tune so horrible, that my car was unpredictable, and studdered sometimes (going 14.8 a few times)
Im the fastest N/A 05+ in Lubbock, now at 13.2 @ 104.5, and plan on faster. I want mid-low 12s on motor, 11s on nitrous.
Another factor i havent heard from yall is track prep. You can have all the mods you want, but if the track is ****, you aint gonna hook. Ours is nicknamed Slide-alou (idalou), but when its prepped, and with my mickey's, I hook so far to a 1.7x 60' with only LCA's, launching from 5k-5.7k
Its all about your suspension, tires, tires, and altitude...but also if your driver mod is not great, it can be disappointing.
I want to come down there and run at the track Feng,(you have a PM) I can tell ya what the problem might be if I do that. Im in no way an expert, but Ive run enough times to know what Im doing (so I think )
Old 07-10-2007, 07:54 PM
Meangreen1200
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: at the drags

ORIGINAL: fordfanboy

It's an average elev.

Realistically, you should be happy with very low 14's in bone stock form. There is nothing wrong with that. A CAI/tune, some gears, and good rubber with a good pass could see a 12.

Rubber is the first and foremost mod to do if you are going to the dragstrip at all. If you go to the strip on street tires, it's like taking sand to the beach IMO.

Heck, I run Nitto 555R's as my STREET TIRE...lol

Anyone who tells you rubber isn't on the top 3 important list of racing doesn't know sqaut about racing. That 8.X pass was fun I bet...[8D]

My best advice is to foget about what you hear on the internet and just pay attention at the strip for yourself. Watch the clock of the evos, mustangs, LS cars, etc. etc. (although sounds like you're doing this already) THAT is a much better way to calculate what and how you should and can run and what your 'competition' is. This is far more accurate than anything I or anyone else says on the internet.

I am in So Cal where we have A LOT of modded stangs - seems most everyone is blown and I'll tell you right now out of the HUNDREDS of new mustangs I have seen at the tracks over the last 2 years, the average times I see are mid - high 12 sec passes for blown guys and low 14's-very high 13's with the n/a guys. I certainly don't see nowhere near the many claims on the internet. I also see VERY FEW people actually post videos. It's very easy to post a timeslip cause a timeslip doesn't show what car it is in any way shape or form. Heck, I could post 8 sec slips from my nova and say it was my mustang. So, naturally I'm a little leary of most claims on the internet. I know most of the guys who are running pretty quick anyway and believe me, it's a short list. There is not that mnay of us who need cages...[8D]

I guess the main point I am trying to make is don't hold anything on the internet as a measure to your own car and success. Measure your car by other cars in your area and at your local tracks. Trust me, if you can get whatever power you have to hook and hook well, you'll beat most other street cars that may have a little more HP almost everytime...
Yep, mid 12's for me. only been to the track 3 times in two years.