Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Weight reduction

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2007, 07:23 AM
saud alzaabi
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Weight reduction

ORIGINAL: RodeoFlyer

It's not just about removing weight. Removing rotating and unsprung weight will pay off MUCH MUCH more than just static weight. Try some of these things (not necessarily all rotating/unsprung weight)

1. lightweight battery - or move your to the trunk for better balance. the added cable will actually add weight but it's worth it. I will be thinking of it
2. lightweight driveshaft - the best mod there is weight-wise Have it
3. aluminum flywheel - less strain on your motor, more power to the ground arriving saturday
4. Wheels - 5Zigen Fn01R-c, Enkei RPF-1 - these are both @ 18lbs in a 17x9
5. 2 piece rotors - costly but worthwhile on a street car. I would trash them on a road course too quick to make them worth the cost (@$600)
6. lightweight seats - try 50resto.com (that's 5-zero) Corbeau has some light ones and rails to go with them for CHEAP
7. hoods aren't much lighter than our stock aluminum ones
8. drain the washer fluid reservoir - hey....water weighs 8lbs per gallon. remove the whole system and throw a squeegy and windex in the trunk
9. mufflers - straight thru's like SLP loudmouths are much lighter than traditional chambered/turbo types
10. off road h or x pipe - don't remember what the cats weigh - but it's a bit
11.replace front hydro-bushings with Steeda race bushings. the hydro-bushings are like 5lbs a piece.

add it up - that's a couple hundred lbs off the car. start counting OUNCES
the others I will check them out. thanks

Old 07-11-2007, 01:02 PM
white07
4th Gear Member

You can ditch the glass and get plexi glass or whatever the dragsters use. Take out all the carpet. Bogarts are light weight rims but they cost 1500 for the set.
Old 07-11-2007, 01:27 PM
Dex
5th Gear Member

drive naked. thats a good 5-7lbs of clothes weight
Old 07-11-2007, 02:11 PM
shooter23
3rd Gear Member

^^ HAHAHAHHAA
Old 07-11-2007, 02:49 PM
fordfanboy
I ♥ Acer

Rodeoflyer had some good advice..

First of all the rear seat delete saves you a whooping 3 lbs...lol

Second, you DO NOT want to be driving the bogarts on the street (or any aluminum race rim for that matter) one good pothole and by by rim (it has already happened to a couple guys)

I notice you said you still want the car streetable and a DD so the idea of lexan (that's what it is BTW) windows is stupid. As with any other drag shaving mods. Here is the best bang for the buck weight shaving mods...

1. BMR Tubular K member with a-arms (don't get the adjustable race version for a DD)
2. BMR Swaybar delete/radiator support brace
3. QA1 struts and coilover set-up for most weight shave but expensive so go with the Tokico D spec struts and shocks. (heavier but still lighter and better than stock)
4. Strange front brakes (weigh 23 lbs!)
5. Replace driver and passenger seat with a nice lightweight recliner like cobra or corbeau (shave 100 lbs right there!)
6. Relocate battery to the trunk
7. Aluminum DS
8. Lightweight clutch and flywheel for manuals
9. If you want to get serious, then gut the doors (take off the skin and remove all hardware and switch to manual window mechanism and gut the material and replace the skin) It will shave over 100 lbs and look stock when done minus the power windows.
10. Remove EVERYTHING from the trunk.
11. Lighter wheels
12. All bushings switch to molly and eurathane
13. Forget about body mods like scoops, covers, skirts, panels, etc.
14. run 1/4 tank of gas
15. Put yourself on a diet to lose some weight too...
16. Get rid of the windshield wiper resevoir

Old 07-11-2007, 03:15 PM
Feng Houzi
3rd Gear Member

fenders, doors, hood, trunk, roof, just make it frame, engine and tranny...
Old 07-11-2007, 03:27 PM
RetroS197
1st Gear Member

MM&FF did an article where they took off 150 pounds or so, the sway bar on front is like 20 something pounds and he said didn't make a huge effect on handling.... along with all the other things you guys are talking about... take out the shaker 1000, thats gotta weigh a good 50 or so.. hehehe you could do a seat belt delete or windsheild delete.... thats alot of weight.
Old 07-12-2007, 01:19 AM
RodeoFlyer
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: fordfanboy

Rodeoflyer had some good advice..

First of all the rear seat delete saves you a whooping 3 lbs...lol

Second, you DO NOT want to be driving the bogarts on the street (or any aluminum race rim for that matter) one good pothole and by by rim (it has already happened to a couple guys)

I notice you said you still want the car streetable and a DD so the idea of lexan (that's what it is BTW) windows is stupid. As with any other drag shaving mods. Here is the best bang for the buck weight shaving mods...

1. BMR Tubular K member with a-arms (don't get the adjustable race version for a DD)
2. BMR Swaybar delete/radiator support brace
3. QA1 struts and coilover set-up for most weight shave but expensive so go with the Tokico D spec struts and shocks. (heavier but still lighter and better than stock)
4. Strange front brakes (weigh 23 lbs!)
5. Replace driver and passenger seat with a nice lightweight recliner like cobra or corbeau (shave 100 lbs right there!)
6. Relocate battery to the trunk
7. Aluminum DS
8. Lightweight clutch and flywheel for manuals
9. If you want to get serious, then gut the doors (take off the skin and remove all hardware and switch to manual window mechanism and gut the material and replace the skin) It will shave over 100 lbs and look stock when done minus the power windows.
10. Remove EVERYTHING from the trunk.
11. Lighter wheels
12. All bushings switch to molly and eurathane
13. Forget about body mods like scoops, covers, skirts, panels, etc.
14. run 1/4 tank of gas
15. Put yourself on a diet to lose some weight too...
16. Get rid of the windshield wiper resevoir

from some of his previous posts i believe he is still interested in handling as well as straightline performance.
Old 07-12-2007, 04:15 PM
saud alzaabi
3rd Gear Member

haha nice one seat belt delete.. so I endup with my face being shaped like the gauges..

im insterested in handling too .. I have looked at this kit from bmr with the swaybar delete .. its really great. yet I still sometimes particitpate in auto x races..
Old 07-12-2007, 04:38 PM
RodeoFlyer
4th Gear Member

actually the swaybar delete wil help you on an autocross course. The front end wont plow lol.

Quick Reply: Weight reduction