Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Wider tires/rims in back?

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2007, 12:12 AM
ModernMuscle
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Wider tires/rims in back?

Thanks for the comment...

Also, he could have the 555RII's the road racing, enhanced sidewall ones...
Old 07-14-2007, 06:54 AM
dkano
3rd Gear Member

Learn something new every day!!! [sm=smiley20.gif]
Old 07-14-2007, 09:04 AM
MIAMISTANG2006
1st Gear Member

for the street i went with the 20's. i mean it was meant to be, the wheel wells on this car are so big i think any thing smaller doesnt look right. Ill take thehp loss over the looks. the 4.10's really help out. im running 295/30/20 on a 20 x 10 in the rear and a 265/30/20 on a 20 x 8.5 in front. traction is not bad, but i plan to get this same style wheel in 17 inch with a 305/45/17 drag radial for the track.
2006 AUTO GT
331 RWHP

[IMG]local://upfiles/49269/18670CE492794EC789850A3FE0DC97DC.jpg[/IMG]
Old 07-14-2007, 11:56 AM
fordfanboy
I ♥ Acer

That sounds like a good plan. It is tough to get 20's to hook at the track on any tire.

Right now I am favoring the M&H's for DR's. My friend Paul has done very very well on them. They are his street tires and he has been laying down 1.5 60's with them. He has a Whipple at 13 psi right now and had a personal best of 6.9 last thursday with a 1.50 60' (1/8)

I was VERY impressed with those tires after that.
Old 07-14-2007, 01:10 PM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

ORIGINAL: Valyndiir

I am not completely sure about the technical aspects of lower profile tires, but they should be able to resist sidewall binding better than tall tires would. This means you would theoretically be able to increase the force required to cause traction loss during turning. That is about as far as it goes in regards to performance enhancement. Low profile tires are stiffer which causes the tire to retain its shape better meaning it will have a smaller footprint. Consider the amount of weight you are adding to your car It probably won't help a vehicle built mostly for acceleration. Also do not exceed a tire height 3% over stock because, by mechanical advantage or dis-advantage in this situation, will cause you to apply more pressure to your brakes in order to decrease speed due to the increased momentum given by the increase of tire height. This causes a hideous multiplying factor in temperature. Of course you could upgrade to an aftermarket system offering larger and better designed hardware. Increases in tired height will, however, increase your gas mileage, contrary to a small tire offering better acceleration and deceleration, but making more rotations per mile and making your car less efficient. In conclusion I'll say they are mostly for looks and exceeding 19" will more often cost much more than they are worth. 18s would be just fine for you!

As far as width is concerned, a 1" wide tire will have less surface area than a 2" wide tire and will not be capable of gripping as well. As far as height goes where footprinting is concerned, yes, a taller tire should generally have a larger footprint, but this is insignificant when compared to the compound loss in acceleration as a tire becomes taller. Not to mention your speedometer will no longer be accurate, which is just a pain in the *** to callibrate, at least it was when I had to find speedo gears calibrated properly for my transmission in conjuction with the rear-end set up in my Trans Am. I have only just purchased my 07 GT, so I don't know what it is like on the Mustangs, but they must use a gear somewhere as well. I wish I could tell you maximum insets/offsets, but I have not read enough literature on Mustangs as of yet, I myself am curious about how wide of a tire I can safely install in the rear wells on a 17-18" x 10-11" rim with stock offsets. The characteristics between tire manufacturers however are quite variable and everything I have said is subject to variation. Hope that sheds some light on things.

Try using your return key so we dont have to scroll
left and right to read your long post. What a PITA.[:@]
Old 07-14-2007, 09:34 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Hey! My names Paul and i just got my M&H'smounted. 275/50/17 on a 17x9.

That right there is sex on wheels to me! Well once I get rid of that stupid center cap on the rear rims it will be.

Miamimustang, I don't get your logic. You say this car has such large wheel wells that anything smaller than 20's doesn't look right, yet both your front and rear wheel/tire combo is smaller in diameter than the stock wheels. So basically you have increased your wheel well gap and made your rims look even larger with such small tires.

ORIGINAL: fordfanboy

That sounds like a good plan. It is tough to get 20's to hook at the track on any tire.

Right now I am favoring the M&H's for DR's. My friend Paul has done very very well on them. They are his street tires and he has been laying down 1.5 60's with them. He has a Whipple at 13 psi right now and had a personal best of 6.9 last thursday with a 1.50 60' (1/8)

I was VERY impressed with those tires after that.
Old 07-14-2007, 09:50 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: fordfanboy

As far as the wrinkel effect at the track, many guys make the mistake of over-inflating their tires. Depsite what MT website and many people say, you should not run more than 13 psi in your DR and 12 psi on your slick.
13psi, damn! I was thinking of trying 15 for the first pass. They are at 26psi in the picture. Do you think I can dump the clutch at 4k and not worry about spinning? I was going to launch at 3k or less the first time just to get a feel for them.