Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

simple question about CAI

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2007, 03:59 PM
bigTALLguy

Default simple question about CAI

so ive been reading about all of these CAIs and wut i really wanna know is wut is it going to gain me if i go with a CAI with a tune compared to one without a tune? wut will i lose by going with a CAI with a tune(ex: gas mileage, etc.)? and finally is it something i could do myself or do i need to take it somewhere to get it tuned?
Old 07-12-2007, 04:04 PM
SRT lol
1st Gear Member

Default RE: simple question about CAI

I was talking to a local shop and they said you will only gain about an extra 10-15hp with the tune. They recomended the S&B intake if you go without the tune. They said even if you go with a non tunable intake you can still get the tunner later down the road and still tune car car and gain the 10hp. from just tunning the car. I really like the look of the S&B intake, i think im going to get one in the next couple of weeks.
Old 07-12-2007, 04:47 PM
burnout083
1st Gear Member

if you have half of a brain and some basic tools you can put the intake in and tune your car no problem. the tune itself will just plug in the diagnostic port below the steering wheel. it will prompt you through all the steps. piece of cake.

the bigger bang for your tuning buck will come from adyno tune or at least a tune from b a m a chips or brenspeed
Old 07-12-2007, 05:15 PM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

ORIGINAL: burnout083

if you have half of a brain and some basic tools you can put the intake in and tune your car no problem. the tune itself will just plug in the diagnostic port below the steering wheel. it will prompt you through all the steps. piece of cake.

the bigger bang for your tuning buck will come from adyno tune or at least a tune from b a m a chips or brenspeed
+1
Old 07-12-2007, 05:17 PM
shooter23
3rd Gear Member

The gains are alot higher than 15 if you get a tunable intake (JLT, Steeda, BBK, etc)...along with the tunes, you may see upwards of 30 HP...

As for what you will give up...the fact that you HAVE to get premium gas is mainly the only loss, and you might go through gas more often because with the new power, you'll drive it harder haha

Install is easy, couple screws and your on and then the tune is a plug and play with their handheld tuner.
Old 07-12-2007, 05:36 PM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

ORIGINAL: shooter23

The gains are alot higher than 15 if you get a tunable intake (JLT, Steeda, BBK, etc)...along with the tunes, you may see upwards of 30 HP...

As for what you will give up...the fact that you HAVE to get premium gas is mainly the only loss, and you might go through gas more often because with the new power, you'll drive it harder haha

Install is easy, couple screws and your on and then the tune is a plug and play with their handheld tuner.
That is not true at all....you can get a tune for any octane you want. Best gains are with 93+ oct but you can still get a 87-91 oct tune if you so choose.
Old 07-12-2007, 06:45 PM
jlaurens06gt
2nd Gear Member

Whaddy get with a CAI and tune together?

+ side: Better throttle response (feels like you foot is directly attached to theengine and pumping fuel...although it is not), more power and accleration (rpm band depends on thetune you areusing), throatier sound(out of the stock GT mufflers anyway), better gas mileage (unless youreally LIKE to shift and shiftaggressively...),cool look to your engine bay
- side: the higher the octane the higher $ per gallon, the more you like driving it the more you will drive it (see previous note), some dealers maynot want to perform warranty work if you you have a custom tune and/or intake (depends on the dealer and the problem)

My take is that people believe that if they do install a CAI without a custom tune, they will not be hassled as much by their dealer if they have issues and want the dealer to inspect under warranty. You should do you homework and ask you dealer about this up front. Some service managerswant to take care of their customers and will be lenient and others will be wary.I am sure dealers see their share of knucklehead customers. (" It just stopped running this piece of junk"... "uh, do you know the engine needs oil? when was the last time you had it changed?"... "changed? doesn't it come with oil?")

Just about anyone here will tell you that you can't go wrong with Brenspeed or bama. Buy a recommended intake from those guys and they will be great at helping you if you run into challenges. They do this stuff for a living and have worked on hundreds of these cars. They know what they are doing, have learned all the lessons and get 'that little extra' out of their tunes.

Installation: I installed it with my 9-year old son. We had a blast and then had a great excuse for a prolonged ride.

Motor on....
Old 07-12-2007, 07:01 PM
fairlane292
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: burnout083

Say burnout083, love the two tone paint scheme! Do you have any more pics? ..sweet ride you got there!!
Old 07-13-2007, 07:26 AM
Margarita Girl
Is the tide gonna reach my chair?

Hi,

I followed the Steeda instructions that came with the CAI and was able to install myself. Had some trouble removing the vacum hose from the stock intake but otherwise OK. I had done a search on this forum and found that using some sandpaper on the plastic helps secure the connections.

The handheld tuner was too simple. Plug it in under the dash and it tells you what to do. Instructions said to pull fuses but I read to skip that part.

Fill the tank with the octane you plan on using before you install.

Took her for a ride and Wow. Saw difference right away!