Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Ford Install for Gears?

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2007, 04:12 PM
jdmcbride
4th Gear Member

Default Ford Install for Gears?

Is the Ford dealership the best place to have gears installed? I want 3.73s, but want a quality install - no whine!
Old 07-13-2007, 04:26 PM
A_J
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Ford Install for Gears?

IMO, you would hope so! But since every dealer is different and some have horror stories of other dealer repairs badly botched, I'd say you're not automatically going to have better luck with a dealer. If it were me, I'd look for a local performance shop with 8.8 and Mustang experience and go from there.
Old 07-13-2007, 04:26 PM
suoperdave84
4th Gear Member

I was going to go through Ford, but when I called to ask about it, they refused to do it. I was afraid another shop doing it would void the warranty, so I talked to Ford. They said it wouldn't void the warranty but they didn't do it there.

So I called another dealer and they said no way, that new gears will void the warranty.

A few other calls led me to similar BS answers. If you can get a dealership to do it, fine, but be prepared to spend more money. I plan to have a separate shop do mine, and I just won't tell Ford about it.
Old 07-13-2007, 04:56 PM
dbspcl
1st Gear Member

What do you plan to do with the speedometer retune? Wouldn't you need a tuner to put it back to stock each time you take it in to Ford?

I've been trying to get the dealerships in this area (Los Angeles) to agree - none will agree over the phone, but I think I've talked the service manager at my local dealer into it. The reason I want it done at the dealer is a) no warranty issues b) no need to carry a separate tune, the dealer will set it.

--
dbspcl
'07 GT coupe stick, tungsten-grey metallic, appearance package, interior upgrade, Eibach springs, adjustable panhard, 20" black Foose Nitrous, Roush quarter-window louvers, Steeda tri-ax, Webelectric sequentials
Old 07-13-2007, 05:14 PM
jdmcbride
4th Gear Member

I am planning on getting a Brenspeed tune. I would reflash it back to factory before taking the car in for warranty work. Yes the speedo will be off once reflashed back to stock, but only until I reload the tune in it.
Old 07-13-2007, 07:30 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

You should have a custom tune anyway. My local ford dealer had no problem doing it, but they wanted $500 just for labor, no gears, bearings, shims, pinion seal, etc. I had a local performance shop that races at the local 1/4 track do it for $360 parts and labor - gears which I allready had.

Over 1,000 miles now with no whine.

ORIGINAL: dbspcl

What do you plan to do with the speedometer retune? Wouldn't you need a tuner to put it back to stock each time you take it in to Ford?

I've been trying to get the dealerships in this area (Los Angeles) to agree - none will agree over the phone, but I think I've talked the service manager at my local dealer into it. The reason I want it done at the dealer is a) no warranty issues b) no need to carry a separate tune, the dealer will set it.

--
dbspcl
'07 GT coupe stick, tungsten-grey metallic, appearance package, interior upgrade, Eibach springs, adjustable panhard, 20" black Foose Nitrous, Roush quarter-window louvers, Steeda tri-ax, Webelectric sequentials
Old 07-13-2007, 07:35 PM
PLstang
5th Gear Member

+1 on the local shop. I wouldn't let my dealership change the oil. They just aren't capable in my opinion (experience there). I'm sure there are some good dealerships out there I just haven't run across one yet.
Old 07-13-2007, 08:06 PM
Humboldt Stang
3rd Gear Member

I trust Scott, Green Team, at one of the Local dealerships.
He races at the local strip, so he's a kindred spirit.
I have all of my work done there, and pay more for it.
But it is done right, and he ensures my warranty stays intact, as well as keeping the techs from re-tuning it.
So, not all dealerships are bad, but even the good ones will cost you more.
Old 07-14-2007, 12:21 PM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

Stealerships who cant tell you the same answer to the same question?
This should tell you something. Get em installed by someone who can
do it with their eyes close while sleeping and dont tell the stealership.