Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Want to turn my Stang into a Porsche 911 Turbo

Old 07-14-2007, 07:54 PM
damquick1
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Want to turn my Stang into a Porsche 911 Turbo

Sounds like you need this:
http://www.moddedmustangs.com/roush-427r-mustang.html
Not exactly what your looking for, but i'd take it any day over the Porsche, the maintenace is alot cheaper!
Old 07-14-2007, 09:26 PM
LanceH
2nd Gear Member

lower the gears and no chance of keeping with the Porche top end(small chance of keeping up anyhow)....

Thanks,
Lance
Old 07-15-2007, 12:53 AM
PonyGT2005
2nd Gear Member

Just something to consider.You have lots of class options where you won't even see a 911 so why even worry about it. I guarantee you can prep your Mustang to be competitive in a number of classes.
You can do AI/AIX and not see a 911 at all. I don't think 911s are even all that common in T2(but I guess I will find out next year). I mean I see them more in GT1-3...yeah there are some 911s in T2 and I actually saw a 200o or 2001 Mustang in GT1 once. But frankly I findthe well prepped BMW M3s are more likely a threat to a well prepped Mustang.
But if you are looking at a sport bike thats a great outlet too! Have fun no matter what.
Old 07-15-2007, 06:26 AM
LanceH
2nd Gear Member

I wasn't even really too worried about actual racing although there is a place called Summit Point that I want to check out less than an hour from me.

More to the point is whether or not I can build a "supercar" on my budget for a 1/3 of the price of a real one(Porsche 911 TT).

I think what has got me going is that here lately, these damn sportbikes have been running with me(correction...smoking me) and I feel the need for speed...LOL.

The other day, I was stuck in the left lane doing about 70 with a guy on a bike about 2 feet off of my rear bumper(those guys are crazy). Eventually, everyone in front moved to the right lane and opened up the highway for a mile or so. Once that happened, I dropped the hammer and ran her up to 110-120 or so. I don't think the guy on the bike expected it and I saw him falling back. As soon as he realized I was rolling, he got on it, and I watched him come up in my rearview like I was standing still even though I was at 110-120.

So do I drop 20 in my car or spend half of that and go faster?....thing is, I'm thinkin I would kill myself on one of those bikes, haven't ridden anything but dirt bikes and that was in my teens...LOL.

Edit: As far as the gear thing, if I drop from the 3.31's to 3.73's, I go from a potential 207 MPH redline in 5th(yea, I know, maybe with 1000HP) to 183MPH max(10 under the Porsche)...but probably actually achievable with maybe...I don't know...500HP?

Edit#2: Champagne Dreams and Beer Money!!!!(yep, that's me...got plenty of beer money though!)

Later guys,
Lance
Old 07-15-2007, 08:29 AM
damquick1
2nd Gear Member

That dude on the bike was an IDIOT, doing 110+ on a street or state highway, a pebble will sling the front end away from him....I hate those guys!
Old 07-15-2007, 08:38 AM
LanceH
2nd Gear Member

I figure the guy on the bike can do what he wants (it's his bike and his body), if he wants to tailgate me it's fine, not gonna hurt me.

I just always do the opposite when I'm behind a bike...I stay way back... if he wipes he might live but if he wipes and then I run over him, slim chance

I don't want to be responsible for killing anyone so I give them distance when I'm behind.
Old 07-15-2007, 10:03 AM
baha
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: LanceH

I wasn't even really too worried about actual racing although there is a place called Summit Point that I want to check out less than an hour from me.

More to the point is whether or not I can build a "supercar" on my budget for a 1/3 of the price of a real one(Porsche 911 TT).

I think what has got me going is that here lately, these damn sportbikes have been running with me(correction...smoking me) and I feel the need for speed...LOL.

The other day, I was stuck in the left lane doing about 70 with a guy on a bike about 2 feet off of my rear bumper(those guys are crazy). Eventually, everyone in front moved to the right lane and opened up the highway for a mile or so. Once that happened, I dropped the hammer and ran her up to 110-120 or so. I don't think the guy on the bike expected it and I saw him falling back. As soon as he realized I was rolling, he got on it, and I watched him come up in my rearview like I was standing still even though I was at 110-120.

So do I drop 20 in my car or spend half of that and go faster?....thing is, I'm thinkin I would kill myself on one of those bikes, haven't ridden anything but dirt bikes and that was in my teens...LOL.

Edit: As far as the gear thing, if I drop from the 3.31's to 3.73's, I go from a potential 207 MPH redline in 5th(yea, I know, maybe with 1000HP) to 183MPH max(10 under the Porsche)...but probably actually achievable with maybe...I don't know...500HP?

Edit#2: Champagne Dreams and Beer Money!!!!(yep, that's me...got plenty of beer money though!)

Later guys,
Lance
Car & Driver Mag has already tested a Vortech equipped 2005 Mustang GT manual trans, car was stock except for the supercharger that was making 17psi of boost (on race gas) they redlined it in 5th and guess what? 192 m/h!! that car had 570hp in it so yes it's possible to even smoke a 911 Turbo up to that speed.

As for handling, haven't you guyes ever heard of old Fox body Stangs doing more than 1.0g? a full handling suspension kit from a respected name plus an equally super brake kit like Baer Racing will get you there....with the Porsche!!!
Old 07-15-2007, 10:21 AM
LanceH
2nd Gear Member

^^^^^

Now that's what I like to hear, question is, can I do it with 20 grand in about 2 grand increments?
Old 07-15-2007, 10:32 AM
baha
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: LanceH

^^^^^

Now that's what I like to hear, question is, can I do it with 20 grand in about 2 grand increments?
I would check out BMRs handling package, it's about $2100:

http://www.bmrfabrication.com/2005MustangPACKAGES.htm

As for Brakes, check this out:

http://www.blowbyracing.com/bbaerb.html

BTW polytherine bushings and any chassis support piece will help as well.
Old 07-15-2007, 10:47 AM
LanceH
2nd Gear Member

TY for the links, I appreciate it.

Lance

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Want to turn my Stang into a Porsche 911 Turbo