Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Car Vandalized

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2007, 10:58 AM
Tungsten06GT
2nd Gear Member

Default Car Vandalized

Ok guys, I just thought I would share what happened to me yesterday because I'm EXTREMELY upset at the moment.

Yesterday, I went to Kennywood (here in Pittsburgh) for my work's family fun day. I arrived at the park at 1 o'clock. Walked around with some friends, went on a few rides,felt like going home at 4 o'clock. No joke, when I went back to my06 GT(which was on the third tier of parking), I noticed my window laying on the ground (which was still semi together due to the tint). I didn't want to look inside because I knew what I was going to see. The entire dash was ripped apart, my touch screen now gone. I dropped to the ground and covered my face because I knew what was going to be next. I opened the trunk and sure enough, my sub and box lifted out, along with the amp and capacitor. Oh, and my ipod was gone as well as my cell phone that I had left in the car. Here's the best part, I had a very nice alarm installed in the car. Well, whoever did this knew what they were doing because the hood was still popped and the wire to the alarm speaker had been snipped to shut it off. Then, they had folded the rear seats down and pulled the emergency trunk release to open it. THIS WAS ALL IN BROAD DAYLIGHT!!!

I found the security guard (who was working on the top tier and armed by the way), and he started writing down what I had lost. This guy had to be on crack because heshowed NO emotion whatsoever, he was almost smiling as he was taking my information. He said that two cars had already been broken into that day, are you kidding me??? So you notice two cars already broken into, hear an alarm from another car going off, and do nothing??? This man carries a gun with him too! So, as he is adding up the amount of stuff stolen, he is realizing that this is a bigger deal than he thought. He called the West Mifflin police and thank goodness, someone with brains arrives! The officer, very upset, started questioning the security guard as to just what he was doing at the time. The officer took all my information, and was even willing to get the detectives involved and search for finger prints if I wanted. Well, we found a white powder on one of the seats, as to assume that the crooks were wearing latex gloves, so I figured there was no use. The officer got all of my information and now I guess I basically start to rebuild.

The car is a mess, the front panel that has the air conditioning/vent control, etc. was basically pried off, so it's damaged. The panel that it was attached to is bent in/destroyed. There is scratches on the passenger's dash. Broken glass in the driver's door panel. Speaker wire is ripped out. It hurts...

Now, I have a few questions. Am I not seeing the big picture? Was the security guard paid off to let this happen? Once other security guards came, they were very concerned/surprised at this. It's just, does this happen on a regular basis or was today just my unlucky day?

Who is responsible here? Whether or not Kennywood has a sign that says "park at your own risk," I didn't see it. And an armed security guard had no idea that this had happened!!! Why do you need an armed security guard then if he's not even going to do his freaking job? Is Kennywood responsible??? Real nice place to take your family. I am seriously considering sueing here. Any legal guys on here that could help me out it would be GREATLY appriciated!!!

And, do I get my stuff replaced? Or sell it all once it gets replaced? Am I being told that I cannot have nice things in my car? Stuff that I honestly worked for. I'm an electrical engineer and put my hard, honest work into buying things for my car. And now, in a matter of 3 hours, in broad daylight, it's all gone. And not to mention the damage to the interior! There's even scratches on the driver's door where the window had fallen out on.

All that I know is that I have insurance, I want everything back to the way it was before going to the park that day. Why should I have to go out of my freaking way just to get things back to normal? I think it is so unfair that I apparently cannot have the things that I want, just because some desparate fool is going to come and take it from me, it's really not fair. And now I don't have a cell phone, ipod, etc. That phone was deactivated immediately btw.

Unforunately, because it's the weekend, there's not a whole lot I can do with the insurance. I filed a claim, but a representative will have to get back to me tomorrow. I will need to rent a car because I'm not going to drive around with a busted window and a security system that doesn't work, let alone doesn't secure worth "crap." I guess I will probably take it to the dealer tomorrow as well. What else can I do to prevent this from ever happening again? Because now I am a target, but you can't tell me I can't have the things I want.

Thanks for hearing me out guys. Anything that anyone could help me out with would be a huge help, if there's anything anyone can do, or just any information I should know about what to do next. Either way, I lost about $5000 worth of electronics, and who knows how much in damage to the interior was done. Thanks again for listening.
Old 07-15-2007, 11:10 AM
Stkjock
Retired Mod

Default RE: Car Vandalized

dude...that sucks so bad.....

I had an 89LX 5.0.. came back to get it form work one day... gone!!! but I feel worse 4 u. you had to see the rementants..... just remember its a car.

have all your receipts ready for the insurance co and dont take their first offer of settlement if it seems too little... you can negotiate with them to some degree.

good luck getting her righted!
Old 07-15-2007, 11:21 AM
Tungsten06GT
2nd Gear Member

Oh wow, what did you do then? Did you ever get it back??
Old 07-15-2007, 11:21 AM
baha
3rd Gear Member

So sorry for you, after restoring everything it'll be just a bad dream trust me!!

BTW my money on that security guard...
Old 07-15-2007, 11:28 AM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

sorry it happened.

it may have been a three man team and one of them
may have had the guard distracted on the top tier, while the
shenanigans were occuring down below.

Old 07-15-2007, 11:29 AM
blk05stang
2nd Gear Member

Sorry to hear this man. This is the main reason I havent bought a nice GPS touch screen head unit. It's too easy to see it and I've had my car broken into in the past for an aftermarket head unit.
Old 07-15-2007, 11:32 AM
slySTANGguy
2nd Gear Member

was it a double din, in dash screen. or a flip up? I think the double din in dash looks much better, but the flip up is easy to hide ya know. what kind of security system did you have installed? Do people ever go around steeling performance mods?
Old 07-15-2007, 11:49 AM
Tungsten06GT
2nd Gear Member

It was a double din, the DNX7100 (navigation built in). It looked amazing. I even had 20% tint (which is kind of a Catch-22, tint so no one to see what I have, but then the tint basically says I have something).

Before this car, I had an Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme. It had gotten it broken into and everything stolen (in the Pittsburgh area, but not near where my Mustang was vandalized). The insurance company replaced it and I vowed to hold on to the stuff once I got a nicer car. I sold what I needed to and kept the amp and capacitor, but took the othermoney and bought stuff custom for the Mustang.

My alarm was a Clifford, it had the two way remote, but I was definitely more than a quarter mile out of range inside the park so I had no idea anything was happening. It had a LOUD speaker to it too, but unfortunately cutting the speaker wire disabled the sound. The speaker should have been mounted somewhere deeper under the hood where no one could access it. I'm sure this kind of stuff happens alot, and considering a few other cars were broken into that day in the parking lot, no one was probably trailing me in. These guys probably just went to the park knowing that they would have a lot of cars to look at, and mine was a huge target.
Old 07-15-2007, 12:21 PM
Stkjock
Retired Mod

ORIGINAL: Tungsten06GT

Oh wow, what did you do then? Did you ever get it back??
I called my mom for a ride.... the car was never found... I had rims/tires and stereo in the car which I had to fight with the ins. company for the value of the added items.... what really sucked at the time I was 25 and starting a new career and could not afford a new stang at the time... 10yrs later got my 06 vert...

it'll work out and like was said above it'll be like a bad dream.... and your baby will be good as new...
Old 07-15-2007, 12:52 PM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

Sucks dude...i left my old mx-6 at the mazda dealer for a some work and over the weekend they had 3 cars broken and stripped...my alarm was going of the entire time til the battery ran down. There were just a bunch of dealerships around so noone was going to here it really.

If the security guard is not walking the tier and the office is far away from where you parked, he is probably not going to suspect anything. The theives can easily park next to you and just dump the stuff in the back or the car/truck and noone would be the wiser....how many cars were around you.....parking in a non crowded spot is sometimes worse cause then nobody is walking by often......if you park right with everyone else then many people are walking by often. I would settle with the insurance and find RETAIL prices on all items, they should give you pretty much everything you ask for, then go out and buy better **** at discount prices or the same stuff at lower than retail and then you have some extra cash. I would say you can hold the guard or anyone else really at fault and cant really sue them either.

Good luck though

Quick Reply: Car Vandalized