Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Race gas at the pump?

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2007, 12:24 PM
Norse1974
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Race gas at the pump?

I have a Sunoco station that has 110 octane & we cant pump it straight to the car either(Station rules).I use a 5 gal can then pull 50ft off the gas station & pour it into my car.Then I upload my 110/125 shot custom tune & rip the wheels off my car!LOL!
Old 07-16-2007, 12:43 PM
Mellowdien
3rd Gear Member

So, i would have no advantage when putting in 91+ fuel right?

ORIGINAL: shooter23

Yes...its like putting 91 Octane in with a stock 87 tune...the PCM will retard itself and run the same as if it was 87 Octane...

So in your case, if you put higher octane than 91 it in with a 91 octane tune, the PCM would change the timing so it runs the same as 91 octane...

Only carburated cars have a difference without a tune...
Old 07-16-2007, 12:59 PM
Dex
5th Gear Member

not unless youre tuned for it
Old 07-16-2007, 02:41 PM
fordfanboy
I ♥ Acer

Out here in so cal - there are several unocals that have race at the pump. I have seen 100, 104, and 109 at the pump. All of which are unleaded.

Just remember that you really want to run an unleaded race fuel even if you don't have your cats and downstream 02 sensors. Leaded gas fouls plugs quicker than a mexican to home depot.

If you have your cats, you are limited to 104 octane. Anything higher will fry your sensors and send your car into failsafe quick.

Adding octane can in now way hurt your car and only help. (within reason depending on your set-up like stated above regarding cats)

There is also no way now how a cop can do anything for purchasing gas that is sold at a public pump.

Regardless of the tune, the car will pull timing when it detects certain parameters reagarding heat, knock, and spark advance. The main reason many of us run race gas is not so much to have more timing but to be able to run the timing we give it in the first place.

As I just described, you can give the car 24º of timing all day long but unless it is custom tuned to not do it, the car will still pull the timing based on the all the factors it reads and though you may have 24º of timing, the odds are you are not running that much timing for more than a minute. Running the higher octane allows the car to push the limits of the timing that it has been given and perhaps hold the timing curve longer than just a few rpm. It's kind of complicated and I could make this post huge but to put it in a nutshell....

Octane = good - just don't over do it and run what's right for you.
Old 07-16-2007, 03:12 PM
GTstangB.F.D.M.
5th Gear Member

so im still not understanding, even tho its been asked like three times..

if i am runnign a custom tune, on 91.. and i put 105 or 110, is it going to be at all beneficial, is my stock motor able to handle it.. etc..

BASICALLY, WILL IT DO ANY THING WITH A 91 TUNE, GOOD OR BAD!

-GTstang
Old 07-16-2007, 03:17 PM
fordfanboy
I ♥ Acer

110 is a leaded gas and I explained above that it will be very bad for you especially if you still have cats and downstream 02 sensors.

I thought I was pretty clear but I'll reiterate....

Running higher octane will allow the car to hold the timing it's already given longer. YES, it is better for your car and you will get better perfornmence from higher octane.

As I explained, whatever timing the car is given on your custom tune, it is almost certain it is not capitolizing on that timing all the time on pump gas.
Old 07-16-2007, 04:58 PM
06musgt
2nd Gear Member

the sunocos like the one in my town has the race gas pump far from the others and it says race gas.you can get into trouble putting it straight in your car like norse said.i heard if a cop sees you,he'll pull you over.
Old 07-16-2007, 06:03 PM
fordfanboy
I ♥ Acer

Just curious..... and charge/cite you for what?
Old 07-16-2007, 06:26 PM
NomadSteve
1st Gear Member

About the only thing I can see a cop stopping you for is pumping a leaded product into a car marked 'leaded fuel only' and then I believe it may be outside the relm of the local police departmnet to enforce (perhaps a federal offence?). Other than that, if they sell it as an unleaded motor fuel, pump away. Unless there is some really wacky local or state ordinance that says you can't put gas in your car.

Old 07-16-2007, 07:59 PM
07GTEddy
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: fordfanboy

110 is a leaded gas and I explained above that it will be very bad for you especially if you still have cats and downstream 02 sensors.

I thought I was pretty clear but I'll reiterate....

Running higher octane will allow the car to hold the timing it's already given longer. YES, it is better for your car and you will get better perfornmence from higher octane.

As I explained, whatever timing the car is given on your custom tune, it is almost certain it is not capitolizing on that timing all the time on pump gas.
It's Vp Racing 100 octane Unleaded.

Quick Reply: Race gas at the pump?