Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

First Time At The Track....

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2007, 11:44 AM
s197richie
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: First Time At The Track....

1. Get some rear ca's and some drag radials and you'll smile more...

2. Damn you got a lot of runs! At Moroso in West Palm, on a Friday night I think the average is 3-4 runs...so I'll be going on Wednesdays and hopefully it'll bea ghost town (unless everyone else has the same idea lol...)

3. Until you get comfortable, ignore the tree...as aforementioned, it's ok to let it turn green and then launch after a delay, the 1320 clock doesn't start until you move forward, so all that will suffer is your reaction time, if you give a damn...plus better to get a real ticket then to get nervous and red-light...
Old 07-16-2007, 01:49 PM
v6VenoM
3rd Gear Member

Yea I already knew that myreaction time didn't matter because the time doesn't start until I gobut everyone wants to know they can launch quick ya know. What I was really practicing was trying not to spin so I could get a good 60ft time. But I still have to practice that. We could've gotten more runs if we wanted to but our friend snapped a belt so we called it a day.And up next in my future is definitely suspension mods, and drag radials possibly. And Dave I remember meeting you, hope to see you there with us soon it was great. Even better before the track was it was me, John and Ron and we were on Rt 80 taking up all 3 lanes. It was like we were Ron's wingmen lol There were cars in front of us taking pics of us, pretty kool I must say!!
Old 07-16-2007, 01:59 PM
Menace
5th Gear Member

A couple of times we got like 9 or 10 runs at Englishtown. Though it's a bit of a ride for me and I think the next time I go will be to Atco. A little closer. Anyway, if that KB 05 is that one kid... He's an obnoxious little ***** and pretty annoying. Though sounds like you had some decent times. Considering the temp and humidity it looks like you did pretty well. Wait until the cooler dates of the season and you might see 13.2s.
Old 07-16-2007, 03:13 PM
fordfanboy
I ♥ Acer

You already know what you need and under the circumstances with what you've got and first time out I'd say a helluva job!![sm=groupwave.gif]
Old 07-16-2007, 03:54 PM
v6VenoM
3rd Gear Member

Thanks fordfanboy and Menace do you know the name of the guy you are talking about? Because this guy I only met a few weeks ago and he has been nothing but help to me and is far from an obnoxious little *****. But yea I think if the weather was a bit cooler I could've seen a 13.2. I would've been thrilled if I saw that! Heck I was happy to get a 13.5, then a 13.4 I was ecstatic lol
Old 07-16-2007, 04:15 PM
LanceH
2nd Gear Member

sounds like you had a good time, I have never been to a dragstrip, but I am thinking of checking out a place "kinda" close to me near Hagerstown, MD (I can't remember the name)

I'm sure I will make a fool of myself but sure am interested in what a bone stock auto GT can do!

Any tips?...I'm thinking just powerbrake 2000 RPM and TCS off, nothing else I can think of....

according to the literature I read b4 I bought this thing, it supposedly was capable of 4.9 0-60 and mid 13's stock but now I think that was greatly exaggerated
Old 07-16-2007, 05:14 PM
s197richie
I ♥ Acer

^^^ the general consensus seems to be 13.5 in the 1320...as far as tips go, are you in the market for some drag radials?
Old 07-16-2007, 05:26 PM
LanceH
2nd Gear Member

nah, but ty, the only upgrades I am thinking of at the moment are intake/tune...oh, and maybe let some air out of the tires if I ever make it to the dragstrip

after I burn the stock ones off, which I think will be long past the warranty, I am thinking of getting some 255/45's although I've heard that 275/40's will fit the stock rims as well(depending on who u talk to)

BTW, the place I found near me is the Mason-Dixon dragway

Edit: sorry about hijacking your thread, Venom...it seems like I do that every freakin time I post here lately, don't know what's wrong with me, LOL, but again, I apologize.
Old 07-16-2007, 05:50 PM
s197richie
I ♥ Acer

^^^ before I ordered my nitto NT555R 275/40r17's I got confirmation that they will mount fine to an 8" wide rim...hope this helps...
Old 07-16-2007, 07:36 PM
v6VenoM
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: LanceH

nah, but ty, the only upgrades I am thinking of at the moment are intake/tune...oh, and maybe let some air out of the tires if I ever make it to the dragstrip

after I burn the stock ones off, which I think will be long past the warranty, I am thinking of getting some 255/45's although I've heard that 275/40's will fit the stock rims as well(depending on who u talk to)

BTW, the place I found near me is the Mason-Dixon dragway

Edit: sorry about hijacking your thread, Venom...it seems like I do that every freakin time I post here lately, don't know what's wrong with me, LOL, but again, I apologize.
nah its kool man. I powerbraked to 2k rpm, you can mess around with it and go over and see how that goes. I did that a few times. I turned TCS off and OD off. When you powerbrake dont just let off the brake real hard and punch it, do your best to just ease off and as the car starts to roll forward then let off fully and punch. I also had only 20lbs in my rear tires and I took my spare out of my trunk. And yea an intake and tune will help a great deal. There was another GT there with just an intake and tune and his best time was 13.8, he was also auto. I definitely had a great time and can't wait to go again. I think I will wait for a cooler day though to see if I can best that 13.4