Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Dynoed Whipple@ 12 psi...Not good

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2007, 07:46 PM
Vcoat
3rd Gear Member

Default Dynoed Whipple@ 12 psi...Not good

Was expecting close to 500 rwhp but not even close...in fact it went the other way. My 10 psi pulley dyno was 479 hp & 421 tq. Not sure what happened. At around 3K the knock sensor kicked in and pulled like 6 degrees of timing and the whipple tune i guess doesnt add it back in.. The car rips despite what the data shows but i am going back to the 10 psi pulley.

[IMG]local://upfiles/31319/BEA33B6BBEB84C269092FE4DA30A43E0.jpg[/IMG]
Old 07-16-2007, 08:12 PM
s2k
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Dynoed Whipple@ 12 psi...Not good

Maybe your stang is telling you not to do it! 500 rwhp is the point of no return
Old 07-16-2007, 09:52 PM
jrm1900
2nd Gear Member

I am sorry to hear that vocoat, what kind of fuel are you using? to my understanding 12 psi is right on the limit for 91 octane, I can not take my car to a dyno but so far I've never had a detonation problem that I am aware of (95 octane gas). During the runs, did the dyno shop provided enough aiflow to cool the engine and intercooler?
I am not sure why the tune does not add back the timing, maybe its some kind of fail safe mechanism,at any rate I suggest you give a call to Whipple, in a couple days at the most you should receive a call back from Art Whipple, to my understanding (and experience) he addresses every customer problem in person and he knows what he is talking about.
I agree with you, until the source of the detonation is found, it is better to play safe. Good luck and please keep us posted.
Old 07-17-2007, 12:40 PM
fordfanboy
I ♥ Acer

The knock sensors saved your motor - that's what they do so be happy they worked. If they are pulling timing, it's for a reason and you don't want to force it back in unless you want to get a birds eye veiw of the inside of your block.

As far as the numbers, it's not rocket science, a custom tune should be your very next purchase after you buy a Whipple IMO. A custom dyno tune makes all the difference in the world.

BTW: A low timeslip is much more impressive than a dyno sheet so get out there and show what that thing can do for real.

My friend Paul just layed down a 6.95 in the 1/8 (that's a 10.80 in the 1/4) with his whipple @13 psi on his STREET TIRES! (yes, guys - he runs DR's as street tires but still awesome and way cool and still his 'street tires') He is making UNDER 500 as well at 13 psi.

Trust me, his video of that is more impressive and blows away any dyno sheet no matter how much HP it says...
Old 07-17-2007, 12:55 PM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

what i'm interested in, is whether you were trying to run
the same tune for both pulleys?

i'm still quite new to all this, but i thought you needed a seperate
tune, for each pulley size you put into service.

ORIGINAL: vocoat

Was expecting close to 500 rwhp but not even close...in fact it went the other way. My 10 psi pulley dyno was 479 hp & 421 tq. Not sure what happened. At around 3K the knock sensor kicked in and pulled like 6 degrees of timing and the whipple tune i guess doesnt add it back in.. The car rips despite what the data shows but i am going back to the 10 psi pulley.

[IMG]local://upfiles/31319/BEA33B6BBEB84C269092FE4DA30A43E0.jpg[/IMG]
Old 07-17-2007, 12:57 PM
Vcoat
3rd Gear Member

Iam running 93oct...Changed back to the 10psi pulley this afternoon...not taking any chances trying to stuff more boost into it...
Old 07-17-2007, 12:59 PM
Vcoat
3rd Gear Member

I did call Whipple before switching out the pullies and I was told the tune i had was sufficient and they didnt have 12 psi tune....
Old 07-17-2007, 01:01 PM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

that's interesting, thanks

Old 07-17-2007, 08:19 PM
GT Bob
3rd Gear Member

I did call Whipple before switching out the pullies and I was told the tune i had was sufficient and they didnt have 12 psi tune....
Whoever told you that a tune for 10 PSI will work for 12 PSI should be drug into a field and run over with a lawnmower until their body matches the pile of mulch they think with. ANY time you stuff more air into the combustion chamber, you need more fuel to burn. And whoever said it is right.. that knock sensor saved you from buying a new motor. Detonation is bad in ANY case, but when your running at the ragged edge of what a motor can take, it's catastrophic. Personally, I would leave th 10 # pulley on until I could afford some tuning time.
Old 07-17-2007, 08:51 PM
nem
2nd Gear Member

I called Whipple last week about their kit for the auto. Comes with a 7psi pulley but their tune was good for a 10 psi pulley. i was told that ford and whipple are running the 12 psi on a stock auto for testing to see the breaking point. I asked again about a different tune from 7-10 psi and was told the tune will be fine.
Dunno,

Quick Reply: Dynoed Whipple@ 12 psi...Not good