Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Tint Questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2007, 07:55 PM
LanceH
2nd Gear Member

Default Tint Questions

Anyone in the Frederick MD area have any idea what the local law enforcement likes to mess with or leave alone as far as tinted windows?

I have been wanting to do this for a while now but not sure what I can get away with.

I have been thinking of doing the 35%, which I think is legal (and I always get these numbers screwed up since I don't really understand them) on the driver and pass windows but darken it upto 20% on the rear window, the tiny side rear windows, and the allowable strip on the windshield.

Also, I am wondering if the windshield strip messes with the dotted(whatever it is) thing on the windshield with the Pony logo, and if the rear window tint messes with the rear defroster in any way...

Thanks in advance for any help, suggestions, etc...

Lance
Old 07-17-2007, 08:54 PM
slySTANGguy
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Tint Questions

just call up the local tint shop or drop by, they will give you the best they can whether you want illegal or not.
Old 07-17-2007, 09:04 PM
06stangGT
4th Gear Member

here you go!
Old 07-17-2007, 09:06 PM
danGT06
3rd Gear Member

I'm not sure how the law enforcement is around where you are, but I live in southern cal where they are suppose to **** about tinted windows. I have 20% tint on the fronttwo and 5% on the back three. I do drive with my windows down most of the time though and if I see a cop then I just roll them down (which exposed my radar detector lol) Then I step on the gas and my illegal FRPP stingers come to life. I haven't had a problem yet with anything though *knock on wood* I wouldn't worry about just the tinted windows because its just a fix it ticket if you get pulled over and if you find the right shop they will replace it for free.

My two front windows do have scratches on the tint though. There is something that the shop can install that protects yours front two windows from scratching.
Old 07-17-2007, 09:34 PM
owero01
5th Gear Member

In Maryland, its 35%.
Old 07-17-2007, 10:12 PM
22kart22
4th Gear Member

nice link btw
Old 07-18-2007, 11:02 AM
Aziraphale
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: owero01

In Maryland, its 35%.
Correct, 35% all the way around. I have 35% on mine with black on black and it looks pretty good. It gives the darkened appearance that was looking for but still bright enough you can pretty clearly see me.

I would have loved 20% but I'm just not willing to be hassled for my tint. I haven't had any problems in MoCo with the 35% (as I shouldn't) but I can't speak for what Frederick is like.

Here are some pics of mine with the 35% in bright sunlight (and one without tint).

Old 07-18-2007, 05:36 PM
LanceH
2nd Gear Member

Thanks for the info folks, I was pretty sure about the 35% but was really hoping to hear some input from anyone in the Fredneck area.

Plus, I'm wondering if I go 35 on driver/passenger, and 20 rear and rear sides if it will look stupid with the different shades.

I'd still like to know if anyone has any input on whether the windshield strip messes with the dotted/Pony Logo thing.

Also, I found this little write-up, so maybe I should just go 50% all around to be safe, would suck to have to pay to get it removed:

1) TINTED WINDOWS -The 35% Window Tint Law in Maryland means that the TOTAL amount of light being transmitted
through the glass of a motor vehicle cannot be less than 35%. In other words, it doesn't make any difference what percentage
the actual window tinting film is rated at, you still cannot exceed 35% total Light Transmittance Value, or LTV for short.
The problem here is that many people purchase a window tint film that is rated at 35% and think it's automatically okay to put it
on their car windows. A 35% window film will guarantee you that your vehicle will be illegal, and here's why:
ALL vehicles come from the factory with a certain percentage of tinting incorporated into the glass. In most cases it blocks out
approximately 20% of the available light, which means that 80% is still passing through.
That is an LTV of 80%, and there's no problem there.
An after market window tint film rated at 35% means that the film allows 35% of the available light to
pass through, and blocks out 65%. (This is known as 35% LTV Film) And again, there's no problem with that.
Here's where the trouble begins. When you place a 35% window tint film over a vehicle window that is already blocking out
20% of the available light, you have now reduced the LTV to 28%, which is ILLEGAL! Why is it now 28%? Because you
started with a piece of glass that was already blocking out 20% of the available light, and you are now placing a
35% tinting material on a piece of glass that only had 80% available light to start with. (.35 x 80 = 28%)
That means you are now blocking out 72% of the available light, leaving only 28% to pass through.
You now have tinted windows with a 28% Light Transmittance Value,
and remember that the State of Maryland requires an LTV of at least 35%.
(Windows that are tinted darker than 35% are very obvious to police officers.)
We want you understand the law completely because there are many Window Tint Shops out there who are telling their
customers that a 35% window tint film placed on their vehicle glass is legal, which it isn't. (And you just saw why.)
Additionally, many shops will just tint your windows without even telling you what is, and what is not legal in Maryland.
Be forwarned that if you get stopped with illegally tinted windows, it's YOU that gets the $55.00 ticket, not the shop that installed it.
Plus you'll have the added cost of having it removed from your vehicle, which is probably as much as it was to have it put it on!
Why take the chance? Read the actual law below regarding tinted windows in Maryland,
before you have it done to your vehicle!

So anymore opinions or ideas?

Thanks,
Lance
Old 07-18-2007, 07:26 PM
22kart22
4th Gear Member

Better safe than sorry. You wouldnt want to pay alot of money only to have to take it off[:'(]
Old 07-18-2007, 08:34 PM
Aziraphale
4th Gear Member

20% on the sides and back won't look stupid but it ups your chance of pissing a cop off which is why I stuck with the 35% all around.

As for the large quote in there, that is true for the most part. Factory tint is not 80% though, it is usually more like 90-97% I believe. Really though, almost none of the cops will hassle you for 35% (slightly darker with factory) unless they really just have it out for you. A buddy of mine had 35% on his truck and was tested when it was inspected for MD title and the state trooper said it was actually 32% but let him slide. I'm not sure you'll be happy with 50%.

EDIT: As for the pony, you may see a little outline on the dots but it is only noticable up close. No worries on the rear defroster lines, can't be helped but doesn't look bad.

Quick Reply: Tint Questions