Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Nitrous Tune Question??? Help needed!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2007, 11:46 AM
Mellowdien
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Nitrous Tune Question??? Help needed!!

Can't u buy a nitrous tune from b.a.m.a.chips or one of the other tuners?
I heard you just pay online, they send you the the tune, you download it on your tuner and upload the nitrous tune.

Is this correct?
Old 07-19-2007, 12:01 PM
GT Bob
3rd Gear Member

Understand that a dedicated Nitrous tune will not perform as well as a regular tune will unless your gassing it. Rule of thumb I use when tuning... 1 degree of timing comes out for every 50 hp (or portion there of) of nitrous. You case, I'd probably go about 2 1/2 degrees of timing, and I would leave the fuel on the fat side.. probably in the sub 12:1 range until I was sure I wasn't getting knock and then dial it back until mytrap speedsstarted falling off.

Also, please understand that I mean no disrespect by this... Just don't wanna see ya loose your motor. Save your pennies and wait for a professional to tune your car. A tune is something that you don't want someone who claims to "know what he is doing" and yet goes at it with nothing but an OBDII port datalogger and no wideband O2 sensor to do. A car only performs as well as the tune lets it, and the tune is only as good as the tuner who makes it.
Old 07-19-2007, 01:21 PM
sccaii
1st Gear Member

I agree with GT Bob. If it were mine it would be tuned by a pro.
Old 07-20-2007, 10:47 AM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: sccaii

From my understanding the SCT tuners and others you only have a very very fine adjustment range like + or - 10%(someone please correct me if this is wrong). While I have in the past tuned turbo 4 cylinders with a LM1 and a long strip of pavement we also had haltecs and other stand alones. The SCT dealers have much more adjustment ability so I would vote on either a dyno tune or at least getting a base nos tune from bren or doug. I can't see the NA tune for octane and timing being right for NOS but I do recall hearing people say they run the 89 or 87 tune with 93 in the tank which means you in effect get the overall timing down enough to be safe....but you might be leaving power on the table.
People have been running brenspeeds 91 oct tune ( with 93 gas)with a 75 shot with no problems. Brent even said it would work fine.

Old 07-20-2007, 12:29 PM
PLstang
5th Gear Member

Okay at the office and noticed this thread agian. Here you go from the Zex instructions I got with my kit.

Spark plugs-The factory spark plugs that come in the new mustang gt are not suitable for use with Nitrous settings above 75hp.

Engine computer modification- Do not use nitrous system if a non-nitrous tune has been programed into your engine's computer. Custom computer tunes generally advance the ignition timing to optimize non-nitrous horsepower

Step 7: ... It is not recommended to go above 75hp without an ECU reprogram designed for nitrous.

So the Zex paperwork says don't use nitrous with a tune that is not designed for nitrous. If you hav a stock tune your fine up to 75 shot. If you exceed 75 shot you should get a nitrous specific tune. In regards to the the plugs 75 and below your fine above 75 replace.

So basicly if your going above 75 shot you really should get a nitrous tune.

Hope that helps.
Old 04-26-2008, 10:53 AM
4.6HighPerformance
1st Gear Member

on mine they took out 4-5 degrees, and ratio flat 12.6 all the way across.. been running like that for a year or so, no problems what so ever
Old 05-01-2008, 09:03 PM
MustangBatman1
4th Gear Member

why not just fork over the $50 for a e-mail tune? I personally wouldn't want to risk anything regardless of how much I thought I knew