Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Uploading Nitrous Tune While Driving..

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2007, 01:11 AM
Mellowdien
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Uploading Nitrous Tune While Driving..

That is true. A friend of mine has an F-150 Lightning with an Eaton charger from the factory and he hasnt had any major problems yet. However when he got his truck it was ready to go.Nothing was aftermarket.I am not against supercharging i've just post-poned it. The reason is mostly that we lack professional mechanics here.(Suriname South America. we dont even have a dyno) If there was an authorized ford dealer here with trained tech that icould trust with my mustang, i wouldnt care about the problems i've read so much about because they would be able to fix it. However i am in the unfortunate position that if i were to S/C and something would go wrong i would have no one to turn to.

Seeing how i've just had my mustang for a couple of months i am in no hurry to modifications i "think" i will have no use for. But something tells me that it might go wrong..

Was looking to order the bottle warmer and somehow winded looking at 3.73gears...
I should get off my pc before i really catch the "bug"....[8D]
ORIGINAL: jrm1900

I fully respect your decision, and if all you want is bursts of power every now and then, NOS could be your ticket.
In defense of FI I have to disagree with you, be more dicerning and dont beleive everything you read as most are either incomplete stories or tales of someone who read somwhere, or was told by someone etc., mostSC complaints refer to: A) Belt slippage, detected by black rubber deposits, as it turns out that is a normal condition in all GT's as stated in Ford's own shop manuals and is not a reaon of concern or to replace the belt, it is caused because the grooves in the Ford pulleys and belts does not match exactly, I've never read a post about someone actuallyhearing the typical belt slippage sound you know like when an alternator bearing locks up. B) Belt shredding, blame it on lousy installation, over or under torqued pulleys, etc,
You dont have to beleive me if you want tofollow up on these "problems" make a poll among owners onlyto see how many people have experienced a problem with a SC that has not been resolved, and do some research on NOS related problems, borrowing fordfanboy's words in another post ANY mod will give some problems as thesmall aftermarket vendors dont have the money to run long durability tests as car manufacturers do.
Finally You'll see factory cars with Turbos, twin screws, roots but I have yet to see a NOS equipped factory car, that gives you an idea of what is reliable and practical for street useand what is not.
Old 07-20-2007, 10:34 AM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

I wouldn't be looking to change the gears when there aren't any qualified mechanics around. You must have one of the few mustangs there.

ORIGINAL: Mellowdien

That is true. A friend of mine has an F-150 Lightning with an Eaton charger from the factory and he hasnt had any major problems yet. However when he got his truck it was ready to go.Nothing was aftermarket.I am not against supercharging i've just post-poned it. The reason is mostly that we lack professional mechanics here.(Suriname South America. we dont even have a dyno) If there was an authorized ford dealer here with trained tech that icould trust with my mustang, i wouldnt care about the problems i've read so much about because they would be able to fix it. However i am in the unfortunate position that if i were to S/C and something would go wrong i would have no one to turn to.

Seeing how i've just had my mustang for a couple of months i am in no hurry to modifications i "think" i will have no use for. But something tells me that it might go wrong..

Was looking to order the bottle warmer and somehow winded looking at 3.73gears...
I should get off my pc before i really catch the "bug"....[8D]
ORIGINAL: jrm1900

I fully respect your decision, and if all you want is bursts of power every now and then, NOS could be your ticket.
In defense of FI I have to disagree with you, be more dicerning and dont beleive everything you read as most are either incomplete stories or tales of someone who read somwhere, or was told by someone etc., mostSC complaints refer to: A) Belt slippage, detected by black rubber deposits, as it turns out that is a normal condition in all GT's as stated in Ford's own shop manuals and is not a reaon of concern or to replace the belt, it is caused because the grooves in the Ford pulleys and belts does not match exactly, I've never read a post about someone actuallyhearing the typical belt slippage sound you know like when an alternator bearing locks up. B) Belt shredding, blame it on lousy installation, over or under torqued pulleys, etc,
You dont have to beleive me if you want tofollow up on these "problems" make a poll among owners onlyto see how many people have experienced a problem with a SC that has not been resolved, and do some research on NOS related problems, borrowing fordfanboy's words in another post ANY mod will give some problems as thesmall aftermarket vendors dont have the money to run long durability tests as car manufacturers do.
Finally You'll see factory cars with Turbos, twin screws, roots but I have yet to see a NOS equipped factory car, that gives you an idea of what is reliable and practical for street useand what is not.
Old 07-20-2007, 11:00 AM
GT Bob
3rd Gear Member

Ok.. to the fire point first... As you stated, temp in excess of 500 degrees are needed for the O2 in N2O to become a factor in fires, correct? My point is simply this, in a fire that got the passenger compartment going, the temps created would be well above the point that would cause the oxidizer in the Nitrous to come into play. Plain and simple. Likely to happen,. maybe not. But, enough that most major manufacturers of Nitrous kit recommend that the bottle only be turned on when your going to use it, and then turned off immediately after.

AS for the difference between 500 nitrous fed horsepower and 500 blower fed horsepower? I am going to take it that you have never driven both. The blower fed horsepower is developed in a linear fashion. It starts out lowand builds. When nitrous hits, its sudden. However many horsepower that the jets are set for are added in an instant. It's violent,it's sudden, and even seasoned racers get taken unexpectedly by it some times. On a track that it prepped for traction and racing, there's realy little concern. Worst case, Car looses some traction, you hit a wall (or the car in the other lane) and you and your car (and maybe the person who agreed to race you) is all that getsmessed up. On the street, you have asphalt (or concrete), that may or may not have oil on it from Joe Blow in front of you whose 82 Ford Truck (that he lovingly named the Exxon Valdez) has a leaking rear main. You hit the button, your rear tire, looking for friction between it and the road only finds a nice coating of 10w30, you go sideways, and end up hitting a car/building/person/children.. Now, your racing has effected someone who not only did not agree to participate in your race, but they had no knowledge of it and are innocent bystanders.

But, whatever man. You have your opinion, and I have mine. We don't hafta agree, we just respect each others right to have the opinion ya do.
Old 07-20-2007, 05:24 PM
Mellowdien
3rd Gear Member

Yes, only this isnt 500shot, it's 75. however there are a million other things that could go wrong making me end up hurting others, i get that.
But as i said earlier, we race in the most controlled environment possible here.We're car enthusiasts, not racers, we just want to push our vehicles to the max every once in a while. Safety of others is always our first priority.

How does ordering a nitrous tune work exactly?..Like i just email b.a.m.a.chips for instance, give 'm my numbers and tell him i'm going for a 75 shot and he'll just include the tune?
Old 07-20-2007, 07:37 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

You missed my point apparently and I never said anything about the temp of a car fire. Nor did I say I was matching the horse power that the S/C car had in my scenario. I doubt there are any s197's on the street spraying enough nitrous to get 500hp to the wheels, but there's plenty of S/C mustangs with close to that power.

If I were driving a Ford Pinto and spraying then i might be worried about a possible fire.

ORIGINAL: GT Bob

Ok.. to the fire point first... As you stated, temp in excess of 500 degrees are needed for the O2 in N2O to become a factor in fires, correct? My point is simply this, in a fire that got the passenger compartment going, the temps created would be well above the point that would cause the oxidizer in the Nitrous to come into play. Plain and simple. Likely to happen,. maybe not. But, enough that most major manufacturers of Nitrous kit recommend that the bottle only be turned on when your going to use it, and then turned off immediately after.

AS for the difference between 500 nitrous fed horsepower and 500 blower fed horsepower? I am going to take it that you have never driven both. The blower fed horsepower is developed in a linear fashion. It starts out lowand builds. When nitrous hits, its sudden. However many horsepower that the jets are set for are added in an instant. It's violent,it's sudden, and even seasoned racers get taken unexpectedly by it some times. On a track that it prepped for traction and racing, there's realy little concern. Worst case, Car looses some traction, you hit a wall (or the car in the other lane) and you and your car (and maybe the person who agreed to race you) is all that getsmessed up. On the street, you have asphalt (or concrete), that may or may not have oil on it from Joe Blow in front of you whose 82 Ford Truck (that he lovingly named the Exxon Valdez) has a leaking rear main. You hit the button, your rear tire, looking for friction between it and the road only finds a nice coating of 10w30, you go sideways, and end up hitting a car/building/person/children.. Now, your racing has effected someone who not only did not agree to participate in your race, but they had no knowledge of it and are innocent bystanders.

But, whatever man. You have your opinion, and I have mine. We don't hafta agree, we just respect each others right to have the opinion ya do.
Old 07-20-2007, 08:23 PM
JibStyle
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Mellowdien

Can u drive around with your Nitrous tune without activating the nitrous itself? Is it harmful? I asked this in a post once, and the answer i got was yes this is perfectly fine, except that while doing this you are losing around 8hp due to the retarded timing in the nitrous tune. But once you actually spray the nitrous you will still be producing all the horsepower you can.
Is there a way to load a nitrous tune while keeping the car on? I don't think so.
Say your driving around and a ricer comes out and wants to play, it's not really possible to ask him 2 wait for me while i upload my nitrous tune, so are there any alternatives? If I ran a nitrous setup I would probably want to install a remote bottle opener so that i can open the bottle with the flip of a switch, and i would probably run the nitrous tune all the time just like you asked about in the first question
Here's some more reading: https://mustangforums.com/m_3144733/...tm.htm#3144733

i hope that helps
Old 07-22-2007, 12:29 AM
Mellowdien
3rd Gear Member

Hmmm , Now i'm really eager to put the nitrousin.
Ijust got home 5 min. ago and lost from a '97 modded prelude.[:@][:@][:@]
He wasnt using any power adders though (no turbo or nitrous).

I would've taken i'm accept i was busy turning off tcs when it turned green and he immediatly launched!
and when i caught up to him at the at of second to mid third i was gonna pass him but the SOB was coming onto my lane! Needless to say i let go of the gas, cuz if something were to happen would lose more then some prelude.

GODDAMN IT! when aremy CAI COMBO + NITROUS KIT arriving!!!

I'm not really a racer but for some reason i feel reallly pissed off, probably because i would've taken him if he hadnt raced like an a-hole.

Will the CAI combo and the nitrous kit get me below 13.5????????(on an average.)
(plus a litte added weight from the 20" wheels.)
Old 07-22-2007, 06:51 AM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

I should hope you would average better than 13.5 with nitrous, but traction will be an issue with those 20 inch tires.