Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Flows with O/R H or catted X

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2007, 08:44 AM
Tungsten06GT
2nd Gear Member

Default Flows with O/R H or catted X

Hey guys,

I currently have the Flowmaster American Thunder A/B mufflers on my Stang. I'm looking to add some more volume for a meaner sound.

What would be the better choice, an offroad H pipe or a catted X? I heard an offroad X pipe sounds bad with the flowmasters, so I counted that out. What will be the difference in sounds? I am considering the catted X more just because of emissions and such, I really don't want to go through the trouble of switching out the H pipe each year I get my car inspected. But, if the offroad H pipe will sound better, I will end up doing that then. I can deal...

Thanks!
Old 07-23-2007, 09:58 AM
ezio350
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Flows with O/R H or catted X

Go with catted X-Pipe. Non cat H-pipe and flows, sound like an 18 wheeler. I did Magnaflow catted X-pipe and sounds awsome with both O.E. mufflers and Flowmasters !
Old 07-23-2007, 10:20 AM
Tungsten06GT
2nd Gear Member

Is that Magnaflow's P/N 15485? $470 bucks seems like a lot of money for that...
Old 07-23-2007, 10:47 AM
s2k
5th Gear Member

I don't mean to want to offend, but I think flowmaster really failed when designing their A/b's for the05+mustang. I heard some with a o/r x pipe and it was raspy and drone city. Switch for borla and a o/r H pipe. Thats a sick note to play all day.
Old 07-23-2007, 11:28 AM
s197richie
I ♥ Acer

I play the flo + o/r x note...yeah it can be tinny or trumpety at some rpms...but at others it's absolute heaven...
Old 07-23-2007, 12:18 PM
Haze28
3rd Gear Member

The flowmaster O/R H-pipe combo sucks *** on an auto. I had that setup for about 2 weeks and couldn't stand it. If your going to stay with the flows, make sure you stick with a catted midpipe or you will hate it. I just installed SLP Powerflo's with the O/R H and it sounds great.
Old 07-23-2007, 12:31 PM
Tungsten06GT
2nd Gear Member

It's not the Flowmaster's sound bad, they just don't sound much different in my opinion. I was very impressed with Borla's when I heard my friend's.

What's the best way to go about selling the mufflers? They only have about 1,000 miles on them, but I'd hate to make someone payfor shipping. Those things are pretty heavy.
Old 07-23-2007, 01:13 PM
Haze28
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Tungsten06GT

It's not the Flowmaster's sound bad, they just don't sound much different in my opinion. I was very impressed with Borla's when I heard my friend's.

What's the best way to go about selling the mufflers? They only have about 1,000 miles on them, but I'd hate to make someone payfor shipping. Those things are pretty heavy.
craigslist.com... List them on there in your local section. They will sell fast. Or, if you have a local mustang club with a website you could post in the classifieds on their site. Or just post them here for sale locally only.
Old 07-23-2007, 02:04 PM
Tungsten06GT
2nd Gear Member

Thanks Haze28, that's a good call. Switching to a different axleback is probably the easiest way to improve the sound, as well as stay street legal. I don't mind losin' some of the cash from those flowmasters. I'm sure some people do like them, but I need more sound!
Old 07-23-2007, 02:31 PM
Haze28
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Tungsten06GT

Thanks Haze28, that's a good call. Switching to a different axleback is probably the easiest way to improve the sound, as well as stay street legal. I don't mind losin' some of the cash from those flowmasters. I'm sure some people do like them, but I need more sound!

[sm=smiley20.gif]Good luck selling them, i'm about to sell my flowmasters in a couple days. If your looking for more sound without changing your mid-pipe you should try Loudmouths or Boomtubes. Both are pretty loud on a stock stang and they have a nice deep sound.

Quick Reply: Flows with O/R H or catted X