Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

dont kill me but i have an exhaust ?

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2007, 11:48 AM
06stanger

Default dont kill me but i have an exhaust ?

ok im a first time poster long time reader....i have read all the other exhaust threads and found them very informative...despite all that i still have one question....i have an 06 gt and i replaced the stock exhaust with a magnaflow 3" dual exhaust magnapack system. it has a nice sound to it and its was soemwhat expensive at about $820 including labor when all was said and done. its sounds great at start up and after about 30 seconds idles down to the original stock sound. my questyion is how can i get it to sound louder...by louder i mean deeper and "throatier". I think my question is can i modify it with a mid pipe what ever that is or the Frpp stingers or borlas in any way to make it sound a little better.......as i said im a first time poster so please bear with my lack of vocab fo rsuch a topic...any help is much appreciated....
Old 07-23-2007, 11:49 AM
shooter23
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: dont kill me but i have an exhaust ?

Put on a set of Headers or a mid-pipe...that would make it much louder and throatier...
Old 07-23-2007, 11:52 AM
06stanger

what exactly is a mid pipe ? any brands you reccomend....i ewas thinking headers but believe it or not my ford dealer who does my mods said "dont waste your time on headers" and i was suprised to hear that. again thanks fo rthe quick repsonse
Old 07-23-2007, 11:56 AM
onederful100
6th Gear Member

if you want deeper and throatier off road H pipe and LT headers are your best bet. here's a clip of my exhaust w/ LT headers, o/r x-pipe, and spintech AB: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Yp38-0LF-g
Old 07-23-2007, 11:58 AM
shooter23
3rd Gear Member

Well, your dealer is obviously not educated in the potential of LT Headers on these cars...

For a mid-pipe, I would consider matching it with the same manufacturer as Headers...if you plan on doing headers, long tube, then you have to get a shorter mid-pipe to work with it...If you use the stock manifolds, then you go with a longer mid-pipe...

Depends on what you want for your car...

Kooks, AmericanRacing are two of the best exhaust set-ups on the market right now...
Old 07-23-2007, 11:58 AM
onederful100
6th Gear Member

headers, especially LT and mid pipes will set you up for greater gains with more mods later, they will only get you maybe 10-15 rwhp with nothing else. if you want great sound theres nothing better than free flowing exhaust.
Old 07-23-2007, 12:17 PM
06stanger

onederful that clip sounds nasty! so being that i have this magnaflow setup i should go with a magniflow midpipe is that about it? or am i going to have to replace the whole setup lol?
Old 07-23-2007, 12:39 PM
shooter23
3rd Gear Member

Well, If you want to do LT headers, then you'll want to buy both a mid-pipe and the headers at the same time, becuase the mid-pipe cannot be used with longtube headers and the stock manifolds...its either or...not both...

I would strongly suggest LT because of the potential available, especially when you start doing other mods...

In that case, just look at headers and mid-pipes together, buy them both at the same time...

If you want to do just a mid-pipe, you wont be able to use the same mid pipe with long tube headers down the road...

A mid-pipe now would help a bit...but really, until you do headers, therw wont be that big of difference...
Old 07-23-2007, 12:45 PM
onederful100
6th Gear Member

the mid pipe should match the header. any mid pipe should bolt up the the axle back exhaust. if you're going with stock exhaust manifold or shorty headers you need a regularmid pipe. if you're going with long tubes you need a short mid pipe. if you're going to keep the catalitic converters, the stock h pipe is good, and you may want to look into shorty headers. but any mid pipe should bolt up to your axle back. my mid pipe is not the same brand as by axle back but it bolted right up easily. in my opinion if you want great sound do the entire exhaust from headers to mid pipes. post a sound clip when you're done, I want to hear it!
Old 07-23-2007, 10:33 PM
mygt500
Multi-Tasking Moderator!

I have the magnapacks and the stock H-pipe and stock headers...it is very deep old school sound and quiet when not getting on her or at WOT. LT headers will help and for a throatier sound get the x-pipe with the LT's but you may sacrifice some of the deeper resonance of the h- pipe if you switch. The magnapacks are a straight thru design and should be loud enough but everyone preceives things differently. I have to tell you the sound seems to get better as time marches on with my system. I will be going with LT in the future as I am getting F/I soon. Hope it helps J
ORIGINAL: onederful100

if you want deeper and throatier off road H pipe and LT headers are your best bet. here's a clip of my exhaust w/ LT headers, o/r x-pipe, and spintech AB: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Yp38-0LF-g