Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

need torque specs for motor mounts....

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2007, 03:43 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Default RE: need torque specs for motor mounts....

Ok, am I susposed to be able to feel the exhaust through the seat with these motor mounts? Not sure i like that feeling. I didn't drive it because it's raining. I won't be able to drive it tomorrow either because I have my fathers old car at my house and i'm driving it to and from work to try and sell it. I just set in the driveway and rev'd it up and when it rev's down you can feel the ehaust gurgle through the car now.
Old 07-24-2007, 03:44 PM
MartyMoose
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: techmanBDsStang

I tried to jack it up and over the factory mount. After about an hour of hassle for the first side, plus I popped it trying to pry it out and the oil all over the place, I remove the mounting brackets. After I did that, less than a half hour. It was just easier and peace of mind to take the mounting brackets out(4 bolts) and lift it only about an inch up.

I too was worried about the jacking it to high when first trying., because I was hearing creeaking and cracking. I checked over the whole engine bay for damage, and I didn't see anything.
I've been putting-off doing mine because I dont have any clearance between the SC and the firewall.

After (finally) reading the instructions it says to loosen the MM bolts from the subframe and only need to raise themotor 1/4 inch and then remove the MM bracket from the motor (4 bolts). If I only need to raise the motor 1/4 inch then I should be ok with the firewall clearance.

I've also been leary about damaging the oil pan by raising the whole motor. Is there any place on each side to raise only that side of the motor (i.e. loosen bolts on both MM's/subframe and then raise one side at a time)?

How's the ride with the new MM's, techmanBDsStang?

Thanks.
Old 07-24-2007, 05:10 PM
techmanBDsStang
3rd Gear Member

Moosestang - that might be from the vibrations. Since the mms are a little stiffer, you get a bit more vibration though the vehicle. I too hear this, but really doesn't bother me. But then I came from driving trucks for over 10 years. Plus I think it just makes it sound like a muscle car.

I did notice that the shifting is much better. Maybe this also answers your question Martymoose.

I tried to raise on the lip of the pan where it connect to the block on each side(one at a time), but I didn't have any proper gear that could do this without being dangerous. So what I did was lay a piece of wood long ways from side to side towards the back of the pan. I put in a crappy diagram but hopefully get the point of what I did. I could have been lucky though nothing happened, but have read here before that people had done it this way without incedent.

[IMG]local://upfiles/21846/AB5C72B03AA3461AABD79F8B689263C7.gif[/IMG]
Old 07-24-2007, 06:30 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Thanks for confirming the exhaust vibe, it only does it when i let off the gas. I'm going to drive my car to work tonight so I can road test it. I raised the engine in the same spot on the oil pan, but if I did it again I would find a different spot like under the crank pulley. Something about putting all that weight on the crank pulley doesn't appeal to me either though.

Moosestang - that might be from the vibrations. Since the mms are a little stiffer, you get a bit more vibration though the vehicle. I too hear this, but really doesn't bother me. But then I came from driving trucks for over 10 years. Plus I think it just makes it sound like a muscle car.

I did notice that the shifting is much better. Maybe this also answers your question Martymoose.

I tried to raise on the lip of the pan where it connect to the block on each side(one at a time), but I didn't have any proper gear that could do this without being dangerous. So what I did was lay a piece of wood long ways from side to side towards the back of the pan. I put in a crappy diagram but hopefully get the point of what I did. I could have been lucky though nothing happened, but have read here before that people had done it this way without incedent.

Old 07-24-2007, 06:38 PM
MartyMoose
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: moosestang

Thanks for confirming the exhaust vibe, it only does it when i let off the gas. I'm going to drive my car to work tonight so I can road test it. I raised the engine in the same spot on the oil pan, but if I did it again I would find a different spot like under the crank pulley. Something about putting all that weight on the crank pulley doesn't appeal to me either though.

I think I'll grab a piece of plywood to cover more surface area of the pan followed by a 2x4. Hopefully this will distribute the pressure across a larger area of the pan and not bend it. We'll, that's the plan anyway.

I probably won't get to it 'til this weekend so I'm hoping you can test drive yours and post back.
Old 07-25-2007, 06:10 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: MartyMoose

I probably won't get to it 'til this weekend so I'm hoping you can test drive yours and post back.
Well i drove the car to work today and I guess I didn't break anything when jacking the engine sky high cause it ran fine. There really isn't much difference in vibration when just cruising or even slowly excellerating. I'm pretty sure I increased my RWHP by adding these mounts, not sure how much, but the tires are spinning much, much easier than before. You can definately feel the starter turning the egine over, much more noticable than with the CHE torque limiters( which I currently have removed because I wasn't sure I needed or wanted them connected with the MM's). There's a very abrupt feeling when shutting off the car as well.

Overall I can live with the vibrations since it's not really there when cruising and it does make the car feel more solid, plus the added power to the wheels feeling (not sure if there really is any). My only problem is it increased my vibration that I still have at 3200rpms, but I figured it would. I might drive by a dealer with themounts installed and see if they will test drive it, with the stock mounts they may dismiss the vibe as normal, but not with these. Of course they could just blame the mounts, but i'd have to ask why it doesn't vibrate at all rpms?
Old 07-28-2007, 02:00 AM
MartyMoose
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: moosestang

ORIGINAL: MartyMoose

Well i drove the car to work today and I guess I didn't break anything when jacking the engine sky high cause it ran fine. There really isn't much difference in vibration when just cruising or even slowly excellerating. I'm pretty sure I increased my RWHP by adding these mounts, not sure how much, but the tires are spinning much, much easier than before. You can definately feel the starter turning the egine over, much more noticable than with the CHE torque limiters( which I currently have removed because I wasn't sure I needed or wanted them connected with the MM's). There's a very abrupt feeling when shutting off the car as well.

Overall I can live with the vibrations since it's not really there when cruising and it does make the car feel more solid, plus the added power to the wheels feeling (not sure if there really is any). My only problem is it increased my vibration that I still have at 3200rpms, but I figured it would. I might drive by a dealer with themounts installed and see if they will test drive it, with the stock mounts they may dismiss the vibe as normal, but not with these. Of course they could just blame the mounts, but i'd have to ask why it doesn't vibrate at all rpms?
Hey Moose

I think you were pretty much on-the-mark with your description of the difference in how the car feels. Meh, dumb sounding sentence.[8D]

Anyway, the pass-side was kind of a pain in the butt, but, they're finally in after postponing it for months - local shops wouldn't touch it with the Saleen already in.Wussies!!

For anyone getting ready to do it make sure you've got plenty of extension and deep well sockets- esp. for the pass side.