Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Throttle body goes kaput

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2007, 03:54 PM
acascianelli
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Throttle body goes kaput

Well...the BBK aftermarkey TB is only like $270, I know you have to use the motors from the stock TB with the BBK one but still, $400 for a OEM TB is way too high. I think you're getting screwed.
Old 07-24-2007, 04:44 PM
RodeoFlyer
4th Gear Member

I wanna know where the other $400 in labor is going????????/
Old 07-24-2007, 05:12 PM
D_Gusler
3rd Gear Member

My thoughts---even at $100/hr labor rate???????

.5 to diag
3.5 to install??????????

come on now.
Old 07-24-2007, 05:55 PM
sleeper2
3rd Gear Member

I agree with you guys about the labor. OEM parts always seem to cost more, but it seems in this case they aretrying to screwyou on the labor, too. It might be the Labor time that Ford lists in their Tech manual, but you can still argue with the dealer and try and get some of it knocked off.

Sleeper2
Old 07-24-2007, 05:56 PM
POWERS
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Daniel60
even with my littlest of bolt ons I feel I have a beast and don't laugh super-charger people.
HAHAHA silly n/a. lol
Old 07-24-2007, 06:10 PM
05gtdriver
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: JasonIsAGeek

So the car has gone into failsafe mode a couple of times these last few weeks. I've reset it by turning the engine off and back on again, but the last time it happened the CEL came on. I take it to the dealership today to have them check it out and they told me the throttle body needed to be replaced. I went ahead and just told them to take care of it, but now I'm thinking I should've just done it myself. Has anyone else had this happen to them? The car has almost 40,000 on it.

I may be wrong but do the 05's come with a limited power-train warranty for 5/60,000? I'm being told that even if it did this wouldn't be covered. Ugh.
Yes, my '05 GT had less than 20K when the T.B. failed. Luckily it was early enough that the warranty covered it(although I did have the extended power-train warranty of 5/60). It starting hiccuping badly and the CEL came on, then it was stumbling and impossible to drive(with only 17K), traded the '05(with 21K mileson it) for a late '06 during Ford's 0% financing last yearand no problems whatsoever(yet) in nearly 12K miles in 12 months.
Old 07-24-2007, 09:52 PM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

$800....a stock TB costs less than 200 i think, hell a GT500 TB has to be 250 at most....and the process takes less than 30 minutes to switch them out....sorry dude but I would be going back there and complain to the manager and tell them you are taking it to FORD or something.
Old 07-24-2007, 10:44 PM
F1Fan
4th Gear Member

So the car has gone into failsafe mode a couple of times these last few weeks. I've reset it by turning the engine off and back on again, but the last time it happened the CEL came on. I take it to the dealership today to have them check it out and they told me the throttle body needed to be replaced. I went ahead and just told them to take care of it, but now I'm thinking I should've just done it myself. Has anyone else had this happen to them? The car has almost 40,000 on it.

I may be wrong but do the 05's come with a limited powertrain warranty for 5/60,000? I'm being told that even if it did this wouldn't be covered. Ugh.
AFAIK the throttle body is a part of the emissions system and should be warrantedby the Federally mandated emission system warranty. The Federal emissions warranty is 8/80,000. The TB may not be covered bu it seems like it should be.

HTH!
Old 07-24-2007, 11:10 PM
05gtdriver
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: F1Fan

I may be wrong but do the 05's come with a limited powertrain warranty for 5/60,000? I'm being told that even if it did this wouldn't be covered. Ugh.
AFAIK the throttle body is a part of the emissions system and should be warrantedby the Federally mandated emission system warranty. The Federal emissions warranty is 8/80,000. The TB may not be covered bu it seems like it should be.

HTH!
I disagree, it's part of the induction system(which with alterations) would effect the emissions system.
Actual emissions items are the cats, o2 sensors, egr valve which all contribute to lower harmful emissions, the T.B. just basically monitors the ingestion of o2.
Old 07-25-2007, 12:43 AM
BillyBobJoe
4th Gear Member

It's still arbitrary bull**** that so many people are having TB problems. Ford really screwed up when they went DBW for us.

Quick Reply: Throttle body goes kaput