Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Steeda Billet Brace

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2007, 02:16 PM
TrIpOd
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Steeda Billet Brace

ORIGINAL: phatphil

My buddy and I both had the steeda brace on our cars along with a g-track brace and it did seem to add some stability. We bought them because of the look factor more than the functionality. Once we had our superchargers installed we could no longer use them.Billet aluminum and chrome looks good when you pop the hood.
the saleen supercharger has no clearence problems with a tower brace. so im not sure why you are saying it wouldn't fit.
Old 07-27-2007, 02:23 PM
phatphil
3rd Gear Member

Because I actually tried to put it on after the Saleen was installed. Maybe your getting this confused with the other steeda brace.
Old 07-27-2007, 02:59 PM
Margarita Girl
Is the tide gonna reach my chair?

Actually, the convertible is not identical to the coupe. Simple evidence of this when buying parts. "does not fit convertible" can be seen on many parts that mount under the car.

Before I had the tower installed, the steering wheel would move under my had when traveling down a certain road in my town. Now that I have the brace, no movement at all. I call that improvement.
Old 07-27-2007, 03:02 PM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

You might be experiencing bumpsteer and I dont think the brace would help that....not for sure though.
Old 07-27-2007, 05:16 PM
RodeoFlyer
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Margarita Girl

Actually, the convertible is not identical to the coupe. Simple evidence of this when buying parts. "does not fit convertible" can be seen on many parts that mount under the car.

Before I had the tower installed, the steering wheel would move under my had when traveling down a certain road in my town. Now that I have the brace, no movement at all. I call that improvement.
A strut tower brace doesn't mount UNDER the car now does it? I made no mention of anything under the car, where there are a couple differences on verts. Chasis flex and camber changes aren't going to make the steering wheel move around in your hand.

Bumpsteer is a change in toe angle in relation to suspension travel, so a strut tower brace doesn't fix that either

Phatphil - the G-track brace is where you felt your improvement. They work very well.

As I said, if it makes you happy to have one - more power to you. I personally find the whole market on them to be comical. All the aftermarket companies are in a competition to see who can put more bars , rod ends , and billet between the towers and then laugh their happy asses all the way to the bank with hundreds of dollars a piece for something so cheap and worthless after a bunch of sheep buy them. Half the companies out there making them don't know a damned thing about this car - they just mock up stuff and sell it because everybody else is. Call up Griggs and Maximum and talk to them about strut tower braces for this car.They have engineering degrees, decades of experience, anddozens of championships under their belts. They say it's not required but YOU feel better going down a certain road by your house with one. I'd LOVE to be a fly on the wall during that chit-chat

Anybody that buys them for a dressup standpoint - whatever blows your skirt up. Anybody that buys them for performance is wasting their money. period

Old 07-27-2007, 09:12 PM
F1Fan
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: RodeoFlyer
As I said, if it makes you happy to have one - more power to you. I personally find the whole market on them to be comical. All the aftermarket companies are in a competition to see who can put more bars , rod ends , and billet between the towers and then laugh their happy asses all the way to the bank with hundreds of dollars a piece for something so cheap and worthless after a bunch of sheep buy them. Half the companies out there making them don't know a damned thing about this car - they just mock up stuff and sell it because everybody else is. Call up Griggs and Maximum and talk to them about strut tower braces for this car.They have engineering degrees, decades of experience, anddozens of championships under their belts. They say it's not required but YOU feel better going down a certain road by your house with one. I'd LOVE to be a fly on the wall during that chit-chat

Anybody that buys them for a dressup standpoint - whatever blows your skirt up. Anybody that buys them for performance is wasting their money. period
Hi RF,

I guess that nobody has been reading my posts for the last two years. I've tested the front strut towers and upper rear damper mounts of my S197GT for flex and there is none to speak of. I have said many timesthatfor an S197 coupechassisstrut tower braces are a style statement and nothing else. All they dois add weight in the worst place and cost money that could be spent on stuff that works. But it is true that these bracesadd acertain racey look under the hood but as far as performance goes they are a totalwaste.

Cheers!

Old 07-27-2007, 09:45 PM
Bulitt
2nd Gear Member

Man some of you need to get a life all the man is doing is trying to sell a strut brace stop busting his ***** if you don't like it or don't want it move on to a different post and who really cares where he posted it my god cry cry cry !!!Anyhow phatphil don't listen to the cry babies some people have nothing better to do than stir up $hit we all know the type [sm=signs003.gif]
Old 07-27-2007, 11:31 PM
RodeoFlyer
4th Gear Member

apparently you didn't read all of the posts thus far.............

For a dress-up item they're neat looking. My arguement is with the peoplethat experience placebo effect with certain parts and then profess as to know more than the pros.

I mean really - WTF is this thing supposed to do? This one is by far the most ridiculous thing I have seen. Even the Tornado is better - at least it is out of sight.

[IMG]local://upfiles/41141/0D1FAADD87E944979F6AC001975138A2.jpg[/IMG]
Old 07-28-2007, 03:19 AM
dseid2
2nd Gear Member

Just a couple of points on this subject. For starters, Steeda, BMR and FRPP all include strut tower braces in their base suspension packages, so you can't tell me they are all wrong.There are some very good engineers working at these companies. As far asSteeda's billet strut tower brace goes,it clears the plenum cover, the non adjustable Steeda’s won't. Two, if you go to Griggs (Griggs was mentioned earlier in this thread) their GR40 suspension starts with a tubular front cradle and goes onto severe duty lower control arms. Griggs is so far beyond the average guy that you can't even compare to them. Finally if one is driving a convertible and is getting some cowl shake, I'll bet a strut tower brace will help (it is not bump steer as someone mentioned earlier, one gets bump steer from lowering the car). I rented a V6 convertible a while back and it had some cowl shake under severe conditions.
Old 07-28-2007, 02:42 PM
RodeoFlyer
4th Gear Member

The FRPP/Steeda are the same thing. They want your MONEY.FRPP parts are 95% aftermarket so don't tell me the Ford engineers toiled thru the night designing it. FRPP also sold the Powerdyne blower that everyone loves to hate and now they are out of business.

Griggs - their tubular front cradle and control arms have nothing to do with body flex. Not sure what point you are trying to make there. your statement about them being far beyond the average guy only puncuates my point. If They are the flat out best of the best and they say it's not required, who is somebody with their stock car on the street to say that it is?

The cowl shake on a vert is aerodynamics - exactly how does a strut tower brace fix that?

Plenty of people on here continually mislead other Mustang owners.Perhaps it's the placebo effectormaybe they need comfort in someone else having the same useless part they bought. One guy claimed his Flowmaster axle-back made the car a new animal and he felt much better throttle response and low end torque LOL. What a dumbass. Underdrive pullies crack me up the most. They're a great mod. They free up a few ponies, help out the accessory life. I crack up at the people that install them and then post the WOW my car is really fast now - the engine revs up so much faster - who would win in a race on the third Sunday of the month in light rain with him on Goodyears and me on Toyos - me or an 03' STI with the optional headrests? ROFLMAO These are the people that pump the pedal on a cold day thinking the car will start faster (wait, lot of people on here don't know what I mean - talking about carburetors. If your reading this it might have been before your time, back when we had timing lights and jets/metering rods instead of Diablosport and SCT) A lot of people treat perfomance on these cars like dieting. They think there's that one magic pill (part) that makes you lose weight when we all know it's the combination of a balanced diet and excersize. In much the same way performance is a combination of multiple parts that support each other. Perfect example - guy wants to go 11's so he blows his whole wad on a supercharger and then cries that he's goin 12.70's because he has no tires,suspension,etc.

I have no problem with people buying **** that doesn't work because it looks cool, but I do have a problem with people saying things work when they don't or at least not to the extent that they want to make others believe. I personally think hood scoops and painted factory calipers are lame - but that's just me. One person on here posts an issue with their car that has an associated TSB and everybody runs to the dealers and floods them with unnecessary warranty work and headaches and then wonders why FoMoCo is in financial trouble. Those of you that want to spend your hard earned dollars onmediocre parts have at it, but myself and the rest of the properly informed Mustang community will still have those dollars in our pockets for BEER

My long winded grumpy bitter point - buy whatever makes you happy, but don't tell people something performs in a way that has been PROVEN false.

Quick Reply: Steeda Billet Brace