Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Buying used UDP's

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2007, 09:59 PM
wozz
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Buying used UDP's

Whle you may think yeah getting used is bad. The other way of thinking about it is there chunks of metal that are designed to last for many many many miles. I see no danger using used examples. They dont really change or wear out as such.
Old 07-27-2007, 08:46 AM
acascianelli
5th Gear Member

I don't think there is anything wrong with the pullies themselves being used, but be sure to get all new bolts. At the very minumum a new crank bolt.
Old 07-27-2007, 09:35 AM
VerginaStang
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: acascianelli

I don't think there is anything wrong with the pullies themselves being used, but be sure to get all new bolts. At the very minumum a new crank bolt.
The pullies did not come with the bolts.... where can I get new bolts (i'm guessing through Ford). What new bolts do I need for installation? Why cant I re-use the stock bolts, just curious??
Btw, the used pullies were $75 so I think its a great deal.
Old 07-27-2007, 10:11 AM
2006GTSC
3rd Gear Member

I was the one who sold him the pullies. Trust me on this one guys, the pullies arestill pretty much brand new. They we're on the car for 200 miles IF that.
Old 07-27-2007, 10:32 AM
MexGT
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: wozz

Whle you may think yeah getting used is bad. The other way of thinking about it is there chunks of metal that are designed to last for many many many miles. I see no danger using used examples. They dont really change or wear out as such.
+1 UDP´´s are parts that may last longer than the engine itself, not that a rubber band will wear them in any way.
Old 07-27-2007, 10:45 AM
VerginaStang
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 2006GTSC

I was the one who sold him the pullies. Trust me on this one guys, the pullies arestill pretty much brand new. They we're on the car for 200 miles IF that.
Hey, can you guys keep an eye out for those bolts if you can?
Old 07-27-2007, 10:56 AM
acascianelli
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: VerginaStang

The pullies did not come with the bolts.... where can I get new bolts (i'm guessing through Ford). What new bolts do I need for installation? Why cant I re-use the stock bolts, just curious??
Somebody please correct me if I'm wrong...

You'll need a new crank bolt, you can get that from Ford. You'll need either the shortened alternator bolt, which you may be able to get from Steeda, or you can just grind down the bold thats on there now. The reason that you shouldn't use the same crank bolt is that once its torqued down, the bolt is stretched, and be removing and reinstalling the bolt, it may become slightly weaker. But, I have read that people just re-used the original crank bolt with no problem.
Old 07-27-2007, 11:07 AM
2006GTSC
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 2006GTSC

Hey, can you guys keep an eye out for those bolts if you can?
Sure man, I'll def look around.
Old 07-27-2007, 07:03 PM
MexGT
5th Gear Member

Somebody please correct me if I'm wrong...

You'll need a new crank bolt, you can get that from Ford. You'll need either the shortened alternator bolt, which you may be able to get from Steeda, or you can just grind down the bold thats on there now. The reason that you shouldn't use the same crank bolt is that once its torqued down, the bolt is stretched, and be removing and reinstalling the bolt, it may become slightly weaker. But, I have read that people just re-used the original crank bolt with no problem.
Have 4,200 miles with the UDP´s and the same crank bolt and no problems at all.
Old 07-27-2007, 07:14 PM
RodeoFlyer
4th Gear Member

hijack! - 2006GTSC - what wheels are those? they are gorgeous!

buying used underdrive pullies is like buying used condoms imo

Quick Reply: Buying used UDP's