Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

need torque specs for motor mounts....

Old 07-23-2007, 07:59 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Default need torque specs for motor mounts....

No I have not gotten a manual yet, so i'm relying on all you helpful people who have one. I'm changing the motor mounts tomorrow to the poly bullet mounts and need to know the torque specs for the two bolts that hold the stock mounts to the body. If anyone knows of a how to for motor mounts that would be great, but it doesn't look that complicated so i'll probably be allright.
Old 07-23-2007, 08:11 PM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

Default RE: need torque specs for motor mounts....

sorry to keep ya waitin

[IMG]local://upfiles/37808/41EFB82247944CEDB231C08EB47BFB3C.jpg[/IMG]
Old 07-23-2007, 08:17 PM
TrIpOd
3rd Gear Member

besides a little more vibration, upgraded MMs are so much better then those cheap hydra mounts on there. youll love them!
Old 07-24-2007, 02:25 AM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Sweet, thanks!

ORIGINAL: hammeron

sorry to keep ya waitin

[IMG]local://upfiles/37808/41EFB82247944CEDB231C08EB47BFB3C.jpg[/IMG]
Old 07-24-2007, 02:35 AM
mygt500
Multi-Tasking Moderator!

Hammeron beat me to it!
Old 07-24-2007, 12:14 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

I sure hope I not the first person to change the motor mounts without removing or loosening the mounts on the block? Stupid me didn't read the directions carefully. I got the passenger side mount out no problem and I couldn't see any ground cable like the instructions said there was, duh!, that's because it's on the mount connected to the block that I was supposed to remove. It hadn't dawned on me at that time that I was doin it wrong, but once I started trying to get the driver's side mount out I knew something wasn't right. I ended up getting it out without unbolting the block mount, but it took some effort. Now I'm wondering if i caused any damaged by jacking the engine up so high.

I used a block of wood under the oil pan and it did cause a small indention on one side of the pan, but I don't think that's going to hurt anything. i'm worried I bent something by jacking the engine up.

Anyway, mounts are in. For anyone going to do this, make sure you have about 20 inches worth of extension for your ratchet. Those mount bolts are way down in there and you can't get at them from the bottom.
Old 07-24-2007, 12:44 PM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

thanks for the tips moose, how do you
like the "feel" of the car now?
Old 07-24-2007, 01:00 PM
techmanBDsStang
3rd Gear Member

I tried to jack it up and over the factory mount. After about an hour of hassle for the first side, plus I popped it trying to pry it out and the oil all over the place, I remove the mounting brackets. After I did that, less than a half hour. It was just easier and peace of mind to take the mounting brackets out(4 bolts) and lift it only about an inch up.

I too was worried about the jacking it to high when first trying., because I was hearing creeaking and cracking. I checked over the whole engine bay for damage, and I didn't see anything.
Old 07-24-2007, 01:02 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: hammeron

thanks for the tips moose, how do you
like the "feel" of the car now?
Haven't driven or even started it yet. My wife works nights so she was sleeping. I can't start that car while she's asleep, if I need to go anywhere I take her car.

Also don't try to shut your door with the battery disconnected, i'm lucky I didn't break my window. If you're planning on doing this, the motor mount bolts are 1/2 inch and the nut holding the engine to the mounts is 15mm. Not sure about the bolts holding the mount to the block, cause I didn't loosen them, lol!
Old 07-24-2007, 02:04 PM
techmanBDsStang
3rd Gear Member

Also don't try to shut your door with the battery disconnected, i'm lucky I didn't break my window. If you're planning on doing this, the motor mount bolts are 1/2 inch and the nut holding the engine to the mounts is 15mm. Not sure about the bolts holding the mount to the block, cause I didn't loosen them, lol!
If I remember correctly they are 13mm. Except 1 of them is 15. The one on the passenger side holding the ground wire.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: need torque specs for motor mounts....