MustangForums.com

MustangForums.com (https://mustangforums.com/forum/index.php)
-   GT S197 General Discussion (https://mustangforums.com/forum/gt-s197-general-discussion-49/)
-   -   First Mods . . . Any advice? (https://mustangforums.com/forum/gt-s197-general-discussion/326233-first-mods-any-advice.html)

BigDon 08-02-2007 04:22 PM

First Mods . . . Any advice?

Well, I have said it a few times and I'll say it again. I'm new to the Mustang world. I love the cars now. I'm looking to make some mods. They will be my first.

I've been reading up alot on these thing in here and it seems that you guys know what's good and what's not so good. So, I thought I'd see what you guys thought for a first timer.

Anyway, I was thinking about starting out wiht the C&L CAI and tune package from Brenspeed and Borla cat-back exhaust. I was curious to see if anyone had some input. Good idea?

Thanks Guys.

howarmat 08-02-2007 05:11 PM

RE: First Mods . . . Any advice?

the C&L combo with brenspeed is great

get the FRPP stingers instead of the cat back...cheaper and does the same thing really.
Leo Capaldi Racing

suoperdave84 08-02-2007 05:21 PM

The JLT is a great choice too. Similar HP gains and only $550.

grey06gt 08-02-2007 05:28 PM

I have the JLT and love it...Any CAI, for the most part, will get you the same gains. If you're looking to do more I would get gears and if you're an auto a torque converter. It all kind of depends on what you are wanting to do with your car really.

mustangman02232 08-02-2007 05:30 PM

full exhaust
VMP tune
4.10/4.30s

s197richie 08-02-2007 06:05 PM

I'd go CAI/tuner but with b*a*m*a* since you're auto. I'd stick with the factory exhaust (no hp gain) until you're a little bit more ready for taking on all comers (and trust me the exhaust upgrade should attract em all), so I'd do a 3.73 gear, some rear control arms and sticky rubber. Then you'll look and sound stock, but should be in neighborhood of high tweleves. Then, get the exhaust and tell the world "you wanna race this?" lol...
oops...I thought you were auto...well if you're stick do a brenspeed combo and 4.10 gears, the rest stays the same (how lazy am I not to go back and edit what I wrote, eh?)

PLstang 08-02-2007 07:37 PM

+1 and you can throw some under drive pulleys on to give it a little more kick (pretty effective and cheap mod). However, keep your stock pullies if you ever wnat to go FI later.

s197richie 08-02-2007 07:43 PM

ORIGINAL: PLstang

+1 and you can throw some under drive pulleys on to give it a little more kick (pretty effective and cheap mod). However, keep your stock pullies if you ever wnat to go FI later.
while we're on the subject, you should really keep all of your stock parts, in case you have to swap around for warranty work...

22kart22 08-02-2007 07:51 PM

yes.

BigDon 08-02-2007 07:55 PM

Thanks guys, I suppose I could have told you what I have in a little more detail. I have the stick. I think muscle cars are more fun with the manual transmission. It's a convertible.I was thinking about starting with these items just to get a feel for it. I was thinking I would go with a SC down the road. It's still new. 2007 GT, only a few months old so I'm kind of leery to do too much right away for warranty reasons. Same reason I wasn't doing pullies just yet. I am also steering away from gears because of what they do for gas mileage. I drive it everyday and just want to give it a little more kick for now. Oh, and a little more grumble. I think I'll get onto all the other stuff a little later.

Anyway, as far the things I mentioned, Are all brands similar as far as installation goes? Are some more difficult than others?

I was also curious about the tune. Is it a point and click thing? Do you plug it in and select the tune and it does the rest? I have no idea how that works. I realize how sad that may sound, but I guess I was a late bloomer on the car mods thing. LOL!