Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Question for those with vortech SC, whipple and saleen?

Old 08-08-2007, 04:15 AM
mygt500
Multi-Tasking Moderator!

Default RE: Question for those with vortech SC?

Here is a guy that is on the forum that just had his done whereI am getting mine done. Click on the Mustang GT when on the link and he had some vids that may help ya! http://www.mkeeler.com/
Old 08-08-2007, 11:13 AM
MustangGT0405
5th Gear Member

I have done tons of research on the net and reading through the forums and I have finally came to the FRPP whipple non-int. Looks like the easiest to install yourself which I plan on doing.

It is for a daily driver that I dont want to have to replace anything else.An extra 75-100 horse is good enough for me....for now. Later it can grow with your needs.

Yeah from what I have read they send you a tuner in the mail once you register it. I figure they do it so that ford knows to void your warranty.

I also plan on having mine tuned by VMP. If you choose the Whipple intercooled or non and want some help with the install, (as I assume you live in the Orlando area),let me know I might be available, and would love the practice . Even if I cant make the install I might want a ride, just to reinforce my decision.

Old 08-08-2007, 01:34 PM
aclass
3rd Gear Member

I'm with ya moosetang, have come so close to pulling the trigger on the Paxton several times but after attending Mustang week and few weeks ago in Myrtle Beach and seeing how clean the Whipple install is compared to a Centri I'm really leaning toward the Whipple. Then again it's a lot more money, but then again I really would like to go with Brenspeed tunes so then againSaleen makes a nice clean install too, so then again maybe a Saleen then..... SHEEEESH!
One thing is for sure though, in my research for a supercharger over the past few months I've talked to several people including alot of you guys in here and regardless whether it's a Paxton, Vortech, Saleen, Whipple, or KB, I've yet to find anybody that regrets it or dislikes their setup.

Hammeron, I noticed you put ina plug for a "non" intercooled Whipple. Which leads me to a thought or question, I'd like to defer the cost of the cooler but isnt it much easier on "parts" to have the cooler?? especially for a daily driver where reliability and durability is concerned. If I understand correctly, when you compress air like the blower does, the temperature really skyrockets. Just a thought to continue a good thread for the tight wads and indecisive.
Old 08-08-2007, 01:54 PM
MustangGT0405
5th Gear Member

I know you didnt direct the question to me, but.....

You are correct the compression of the air by the blower causes heat. The heat rises with increases in boost, ie higher boost, higher temps. Hot air doesnt have as much oxygen but then again you are cramming air down the engines throat with the blower anyway. At low boost pressure like 6 pounds as seen with the base non-intercoooled whipple an intercooler is not mandatory.

Ford built this kit as a conservative set up and will even warranty the drivetrain, which means they are sure it is safe. As long as you dont try to up the boost or go with a real aggressive tune all is well. It also doesnt produce as high power numbers which is easier on the hardware, engine, trans etc.

Ford and whipple sell a kit to upgrade the non-intercooled kit to the HO intercooled kit which pumps out 500 hp.

As you said any kind of FI is better than none.

Just as a note MM&FF installed the non-intercooled kit on stock GT automatic and ran a 12.6 on street tires. Not too shabby for about $4200.
Old 08-08-2007, 01:58 PM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

all good points you make, no doubt. i only suggested
the whipple non-intercooled, because it is close in price
to what moose is willing to spend right now.

6psi will not harm the engine in any way, that is what
Jared @ Lethal says and I believe him. everyone should
use theie own good judgement, when strapping an air
compressor to their baby

ORIGINAL: aclass

Hammeron, I noticed you put ina plug for a "non" intercooled Whipple. Which leads me to a thought or question, I'd like to defer the cost of the cooler but isnt it much easier on "parts" to have the cooler?? especially for a daily driver where reliability and durability is concerned. If I understand correctly, when you compress air like the blower does, the temperature really skyrockets. Just a thought to continue a good thread for the tight wads and indecisive.
Old 08-08-2007, 04:52 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Hmmmmm, so $5300 for the saleen and a little more power or $4200 for a little less power, but probably less hassle when i need to change my clutch.

I took another look at the whipple and I was thinking of the kenne I guess. The whipples air cleaner is in the stock location. I was thinking it went over to the passenger side and down. D'Agostino racing sells a tune for the whipple that's supposed to be pretty good from what i've read, but I'll probably just get it tuned at VMP.

I live 1 1/2 hours north of Deland, not exactly Orlando.

Brent said to go with the saleen if I can afford it.

Hammeron, hows the whipple during cruising? Do you know it's there or does it only scream like a banshee at WOT? I listened to a few sound clips and it does sound mean at full throttle.

ORIGINAL: hammeron

all good points you make, no doubt. i only suggested
the whipple non-intercooled, because it is close in price
to what moose is willing to spend right now.

6psi will not harm the engine in any way, that is what
Jared @ Lethal says and I believe him. everyone should
use theie own good judgement, when strapping an air
compressor to their baby

ORIGINAL: aclass

Old 08-08-2007, 05:09 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

I just realized that I will have to get a custom tune for the whipple. My speedo will be way off with the 4.10 gears! Otherwise my car is basically stock as far as the engine is concerned. I'm going to see how much a mail order tune is from D'Agostino racing, I don't want to have to drive almost 2 hours to the dyno with the speedo being off by 15mph.
Old 08-08-2007, 05:25 PM
viking396
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: moosestang

I was talking about warranty work on the supercharger or even repairing it out of warranty. I don't remembering reading about relocating the alternator in the paxton instructions. I haven't found the vortech instructions online, if anyone knows where they are please shoot me a link.
I can see how many pages mine came with and if possible scan them for you.
Old 08-08-2007, 05:28 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: viking396

I can see how many pages mine came with and if possible scan them for you.
No need, i found them on the vortech website.

Has anyone actually purchased the non intercooled whipple from www.blueovalperformance.net? Their price of $4274 is about $600 cheaper than everyone else.
Old 08-08-2007, 06:42 PM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

hey moose, cruising you don't even know it's there.
when you mash the go pedal, it creates a beautiful
sound that will make you smile, no matter how your
day is going

ORIGINAL: moosestang

Hammeron, hows the whipple during cruising? Do you know it's there or does it only scream like a banshee at WOT? I listened to a few sound clips and it does sound mean at full throttle.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Question for those with vortech SC, whipple and saleen?