Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Noises when Wet

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2007, 08:53 AM
slySTANGguy
2nd Gear Member

Default Noises when Wet

I am not sure what is wrong with my Mustang, but i get violent noises from my rear left side, from the axle. I think it is the clutches slipping inside the axle. Although it only makes the noise when its wet. But its to the point where i cant even get up a hill when its wet with out making this terrible noise. Then i let sit for a couple hours, got inside, and it was all fine and dandy. I took it to the dealer about this many times and they said they cant replicate the problem (even though they used half a tank trying to) and from what i am describing they say that it is perfectly normal. Bull ****!
Old 08-10-2007, 10:58 AM
slySTANGguy
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Noises when Wet

If any body has any idea whats wrong please let me know, thanks alot
Old 08-10-2007, 11:48 AM
danGT06
3rd Gear Member

are you sure its not the traction control?
Old 08-10-2007, 11:56 AM
slySTANGguy
2nd Gear Member

the traction control could be on or off...the problem happens in heavy rains, its not hte tires slipping, its like something locks up in my rear and it makes the engine hesitate when it happens. It also happens on left turns.
Old 08-10-2007, 12:02 PM
MustangGT0405
5th Gear Member

Sorry I cant help you identify what is wrong, but I will say it certainly isnt "normal"
Old 08-10-2007, 03:36 PM
jrm1900
2nd Gear Member

This is a difficult one, never heard of such problem before, so I'd say it is not normal.
If only happens when wet, it could be:
A) Mechanical problem that is the traction lock system in the differential not working properly, making it engage and disengage erraticaly, that would explain the up hill and cornering problems.
B) Junction box getting wet and sending wrong signals to the abs and TCsystems, this would explain the 2 hour back to normal period. JB are known to get wet in heavy rains and cause all sort of problems.
At any rate next time it rains and you have the problem, drive to the dealership, kidnap the servicemanagerand show him/her, I hate the kind of problem that is always there and when you go to the dealer just disappears.
Old 08-10-2007, 08:39 PM
slySTANGguy
2nd Gear Member

thanks alot...i would love to do that...i am going to start driving around now with my stock intake and tune so i can go right to the dealer. A better way to describe the problem would be to say its a chatter. I was talking to my friend about it who had an explorer and ran into a similar problem and ford kept saying it was normal until they just made it an open rear end.
Old 08-10-2007, 09:01 PM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

have you had the chance to get underneath the
vehicle, to make sure the exhaust system is solid
and tight

next might be checking the rear suspension....

just hittin' the problem, from another angle.....

Old 08-11-2007, 01:04 PM
slySTANGguy
2nd Gear Member

yeah....actually i first assumed it was the exhaust system....its real solid and tight, looks beautiful. It is definitly a chatter from the rear. I have been known to do power stands and it is a manual.
Old 08-11-2007, 01:18 PM
06GT4RAD
5th Gear Member

It sounds like the LS Clutch pack chattering based on what you have said. You have a few way to try and resolve this. First and probably least expensive would be to drain the rear diff and then refill with Redline 75w140 No need to add friction modifier as it contains it already. If that does not resolve the issue within 100 miles then you will most likely need to have the Clutch Packs in the LS unit replaced. If i am not mistaken Ford originally used Carbon Fiber disks and it created lots of clutch pack chatter like you are describing and it could be taken as something breaking if you ave never experienced it. They do have a TSB for this and they swap out the clutch packs for a softer material. The real solution however is to ditch the FORD LS and upgrade to a Eaton or a Detroit True Trac.

Richard

Quick Reply: Noises when Wet