Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Noisy Saleen SC. Normal?

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2007, 07:09 AM
Screamin Yellow 06
1st Gear Member

Default Noisy Saleen SC. Normal?

Just looking for some input. I installed a Saleen SC on my '06 GT about 6 months. Got everything I needed from JDM including the upgraded 10 psi kit. Installed it myself and everything runs great with no problems. However, even from day one I noticed that it's kinda noisy. It's got that awesome sc whine but at idle it seems to make a gravely noise. Since every thing seems to be working fine and I didn'y have any point of reference to compare it to I just assumed that that's the way it is.

A few weeks ago a friend of mine stopped by with his '07 GT to show me the SC he installed. I think it is the one that you can get from Ford Racing and looks similar to the Roush SC (it may have even been one). Anyway, I noticed that at idle his is very very quiet. If you closed your eye you wouldn't even know it was there.

Have any of you other Saleen SC owners noticed something similar. Just wondering if this is normal or did I get a noisy unit? Not that theres much I can do about it. Thanks
Old 08-11-2007, 07:37 AM
Bulitt
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Noisy Saleen SC. Normal?

Mine does the same thing i have heard 2 others in person and they were the same also so my guess is its normal i hope
Old 08-11-2007, 08:22 AM
s2k
5th Gear Member

Can you post a sound clip or vid?
Old 08-11-2007, 11:22 AM
ThisBlood147
5th Gear Member

I had the same problem up until a few months ago. I'm guessing you still are on the stock motor mounts? If so, you are probably getting some vibration from the blower housing hitting against the firewall. It's a little problem with the Saleen units caused by there not being enough clearance. I purchased some prothane motor mounts and had them milled down 3/8" to lower the engine a little bit....and it has given me enough clearance to banish the dreaded "gravel-vibe" for good. JDM offers these same lowering mounts (except milled down 1/2") on their website, but they were a bit too expensive for what I wanted. But either way, lower your engine 3/8-1/2" and you'll get rid of the racket.

Besides, these prothane mounts rock.

If you don't wanna spring for new mounts just yet, I've heard of some ppl loosening the bolts to the blower housing and adjusting it just forward enough to get it to stop making contact with the firewall.

And last, but not least............you can take a hammer or prybar to your firewall and "make" some clearance for your s/c. Don't worry, the firewall isn't load bearing, so bending it does nothing for the rigidity of your car.
Old 08-11-2007, 11:28 AM
sactown
4th Gear Member

Good question, and some good answers I am having my Saleen SC installed next week. I will hopefully be able to avoid that noise now.
Old 08-11-2007, 12:40 PM
PROMETHEUS PRIME
5th Gear Member

The Saleens do have a clackity,( if that is a word) sound to them at idle. The Whipple what sounds like your friend has are alot more quiter.
Old 08-11-2007, 01:45 PM
ThisBlood147
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: PROMETHEUS PRIME

The Saleens do have a clackity,( if that is a word) sound to them at idle. The Whipple what sounds like your friend has are alot more quiter.
The clackity sound is only from blower to firewall vibration contact. Get rid of that metal to metal contact and the idle is smooth and quiet. My car sounds almost completely stock at idle.......there's no way to tell from inside or outside the car that I have a s/c until I get into the boost. Sleeper status FTMFW
Old 08-11-2007, 08:09 PM
MartyMoose
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ThisBlood147

I had the same problem up until a few months ago. I'm guessing you still are on the stock motor mounts? If so, you are probably getting some vibration from the blower housing hitting against the firewall. It's a little problem with the Saleen units caused by there not being enough clearance. I purchased some prothane motor mounts and had them milled down 3/8" to lower the engine a little bit....and it has given me enough clearance to banish the dreaded "gravel-vibe" for good. JDM offers these same lowering mounts (except milled down 1/2") on their website, but they were a bit too expensive for what I wanted. But either way, lower your engine 3/8-1/2" and you'll get rid of the racket.

Besides, these prothane mounts rock.

If you don't wanna spring for new mounts just yet, I've heard of some ppl loosening the bolts to the blower housing and adjusting it just forward enough to get it to stop making contact with the firewall.

And last, but not least............you can take a hammer or prybar to your firewall and "make" some clearance for your s/c. Don't worry, the firewall isn't load bearing, so bending it does nothing for the rigidity of your car.
+1 A good indicator isany wear spots in your hood liner.

And, yep, the prothane mounts are [sm=smiley20.gif]
Old 08-11-2007, 08:55 PM
Wally39
4th Gear Member

Mine makes that sound also at idle. I have the solid motor mounts from JDM and it still does it.
Old 08-11-2007, 09:00 PM
drbobvs
5th Gear Member

Yep, it's not the mounts. The noise he is talking about isnormal for this unit. There is no contact anywherein the engine bay and mine will do it at idle. For those who wonder what the noise sounds like, well, have you ever heard a procharger at idle? It's like that, but not as loud.

Quick Reply: Noisy Saleen SC. Normal?