Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Hurst Shifter problem?

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2007, 07:01 AM
07 Mustang GT/CS

Default RE: Hurst Shifter problem?

I also have the Hurst,no problems at all.Shift is nice & tight and never missed a gear..Not a bad shifter for the price & looks nice too.........
Old 08-12-2007, 10:37 AM
sactown
4th Gear Member

I think the shifter looks incredible, it must needs some sort of adjustment. Do you do anything special when you installed yours?
Old 08-12-2007, 10:51 AM
beefrits

My Hurst was stiff after installation but it did loosen up over time. As said by others it has a notchy feel that makes shifting positive and precise. And the look is perfect for the retro styling of the vehicle. But everybody is different andI guess it comes down to personal taste.
Old 08-12-2007, 10:55 AM
sactown
4th Gear Member

Notchy would be ok, but it so bad that when I try to speed shift I can't get the damn thing in second without first pausing in neutral.
Old 08-12-2007, 11:05 AM
beefrits

I am not blaming technique but the Hurst does need to go from 1st to 2nd with a straight back motion, no sideways pressure to catch the gate. 2nd to 3rd is smooth as silk, it just finds it like there are no other choices. Keep it about a month and see if it doesn't get better. The only gear that's a liitle hard to find is reverse but that's ok with me.
Old 08-12-2007, 12:02 PM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

ORIGINAL: beefrits

I am not blaming technique but the Hurst does need to go from 1st to 2nd with a straight back motion, no sideways pressure to catch the gate. 2nd to 3rd is smooth as silk, it just finds it like there are no other choices. Keep it about a month and see if it doesn't get better. The only gear that's a liitle hard to find is reverse but that's ok with me.
That is very true, most people have trouble getting into 2nd more than third for a little while......it does lossen up and will be alot better if you give it time. I would try ripping through the gears right away and expect miracles.

Old 08-12-2007, 03:19 PM
blaven
3rd Gear Member

My hurst is the same way and i've had it in for over a year. I do love it though i have never missed a shift from 1-2 or 2-3. I like the notchy feel to it and don't have any trouble banging through the gears. One thing to make sure that was installed correctly is the link at the bottom of the shifter it has to go a certain way. Check this link out. What i'm talking about is step 23

http://www.fordmuscle.com/archives/2...ter/index2.php
Old 08-13-2007, 10:47 AM
subzero05
1st Gear Member

Probably got the lock pivot bolt too tight!.. Loosen it a little and you will see the shift "action" gets easier.
Old 08-13-2007, 11:19 AM
sleeper2
3rd Gear Member

The Hurst shifter is very "positive feeling" but this is a good thing. It does seem to prefer straight front to back motion. It is harder to push/pull than stock but should not be unpleasant. I like mine. Did I read your 2nd post right in that you installed a new clutch and flywheel at the same time as the shifter? Could this have something to do with the shifter difficulty? (I don't know how it would.)

Slight thread hijack: What clutch/flywheel combination did you get? Do you like it. Thanks.

Sleeper2
Old 08-13-2007, 11:29 AM
sactown
4th Gear Member

I don't think it has anything to do with the new clutch it goes into gear fine it just take a little more effort than I was expecting. I will have it looked at tomorrow. As for the clutch/flywheel it is a Spec's 2+ clutch with the aluminum flywheel. Its only a little stiffer than stock, but so far I am happy with it here is a link to the site I brought it from.
Clutch: http://www.lmperformance.com/6228/73.html
Flywheel: http://www.lmperformance.com/5856/73.htmlno pic
This combo is rated up to 520ft torque
If you go with this combo be sure to have in balanced together.

Quick Reply: Hurst Shifter problem?