Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

06 GT Vortech Problems

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2007, 08:45 PM
erapoza

Default 06 GT Vortech Problems

Hi guys, I am having some major problems with my Vortech SC ( non-cooled) for my 2006 Mustang GT. After uploading the standard output tune the car backfires like crazy and during accleration it shutters and backfires as well. Itactually has less power thanit did before the install. when i came home from the test drive the tail pipes are coated in black carbon and you could smell the fuel. I have gone over the entire installation with a fine tooth comb and can find nothing wrong. The MAF sensor wires are all fine a soldered like it says to in the installation manual. I checked all vacume lines for proper operation with a vacume gauge and they are fine. I tested the by-pass valve and it is operating properly. There apears to be no leaks in the discharge tube either. Before the Vortech the car ran flawlessly. I tried reloading the factory tune and started the car and the backfireing went away. Could the Diablo programmer be bad?

The mods that are currently on the car are as follows: BBk shorty headders, SLP loudmouth axle back exhaust, 4:10 gears, Hurst shifter.

Any help with this would be great, I would like to have it dyno tuned but the closest one to me in Southern Oregon is like 300 miles away and would have to trailer it there as I dont want to drive it in this condition.
Old 08-18-2007, 08:54 PM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

Default RE: 06 GT Vortech Problems

ok, so aside from the shorty headers, it's pretty much stock.....

thoughts:
do you have 91 octane in the fuel system? just making sure.
it may be that the tune is not correct for your year and shorty headers.
you might try reloading the vortech tune, incase something happened during
upload....

Old 08-18-2007, 09:00 PM
jcsgt

Is the car throwing any codes? I just installed an HO on my 05 last week and had a problem with one of the coils not being plugged in all the way after all the harness relocations. Do some logging with you diablo and check the fuel pressure at idle as well as the battery voltage (should be over 14). Start with this and let us know if you still have issues.

Jeff
Old 08-18-2007, 09:02 PM
rick98gt
1st Gear Member

I would make sure the tune is right for your PCM ,did you give them your code number when you ordered it?
Old 08-18-2007, 09:02 PM
jcsgt

One more thing, verify your diablo has version 36 on it. And do not drive it until you figure this out!!!!!!!!
Old 08-18-2007, 09:05 PM
erapoza

I did use 91 octane. My battery voltage is 14.1 I am not sure what the fuel pressure is. I will check it with the diablo and post back.

Thanks for the help

Ed Rapoza
Old 08-18-2007, 09:09 PM
erapoza

It did have some trouble codes show up, it said bank one and two was rich

Ed Rapoza
Old 08-18-2007, 09:25 PM
jcsgt

They did send you the corret injectors for the kit right (they should be blue and and say 03-04 cobra on the box
Old 08-18-2007, 09:47 PM
erapoza

Yes the injectors are blue and did say 03-04 cobra on the box., another question I had was the fuel pump install. the manual I recieved with the kit called for replacing the factory pump with the one supplied in the kit. The manual i recently looked at on vortechs web site said to keep the stock pump and add the one that comes in the kit to it. Could this be part of my problem?

Ed Rapoza
Old 08-18-2007, 09:56 PM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

ok i just looked at the vortech parts list and
i guess you do change the pump in both the
standard and in the HO kits.

well one thing i found interesting, was why you would have
to change the fuel pump for a non-intercooled kit.

Quick Reply: 06 GT Vortech Problems