Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Hurst stick on a Steeda shifter?

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2007, 05:48 AM
300GT
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Hurst stick on a Steeda shifter?

I've read Taco Bill's how-to on the MGW, and I'm sure it functions much better than stock. I'm just saying it doesn't look much different than stock. I am hoping to get a smooth shift AND that classic musclecar look. Thus the Hurst stick on a Steeda Tri-Ax idea.
Old 08-23-2007, 09:53 AM
Stoenr
5th Gear Member

Ok, I was able to find some pics this morning. Not exactly what I thought it was, but here ya go.

Old 08-23-2007, 10:24 AM
TDC71
1st Gear Member

Met Sactown at the track last night and he has the Hurst and hates the fell of it. Got in and felt it, have to agree with him. It doesnt have a smooth feel from first to second, kinda like hits a snag between the 1-2 shift. And he has a hard time finding 5th sometimes if I recall what he said.
Old 08-23-2007, 10:34 AM
s2k
5th Gear Member

I guess its hit or miss with the hurst. Some people love it some hate it.
Old 08-23-2007, 10:46 AM
Stoenr
5th Gear Member

I have personally felt/drove the ford racing one, which I believe is made by someone else, I forget who, and the TriAx. Possible the same ones? Felt like crap compared to the MGW.
Old 08-23-2007, 11:04 AM
fordfanboy
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: s2k

I guess its hit or miss with the hurst. Some people love it some hate it.
The people who 'love' the Hurst don't powershift their cars - I'd bet money on it. (or maybe 'think' they are powershifitng when they really aren't)

The Hurst is IDENTICAL to stock. This is not an opinion, this is fact. Lay the Hurst next to the stocker and they are the SAME. I've been telling people this crap for over 2 years. The ONLY thing peformance wise you are getting from the Hurst is a shorter throw...period...nothing else.

When I let people know this - the Hurst owners get all defensive and come to it's rescue and I'm not bashing the owners - heck - I love the 'look' of the hurst stick and ball as well but it will never hide the fact that the hurst is just a pretty version of your stock shifter and gives you zero performance gains over stock. Some of the owners confuse a shorter throw for performance gains but it's not, it's just the shorter throw (that they could get with a cheap saleen adapter BTW) that they feel.

It is stop bolt adjustment and overall construction of the shifter that gives actual performance. The Hurst has none of it. Anyone who knows how to powershift and tries it with the Hurst will tell you in seconds it's no better than stock. Now if you never have the need or desire to powershift the car, and like the look and name of the hurst, then knock yourself out - but please let's not say the hurst is a 'performance' shifter or 'better than stock' cause it's just not.
Old 08-23-2007, 11:08 AM
300GT
3rd Gear Member

Hmmm.. Maybe buy an MGW and have the stick chrome plated? That was my other thought, and I may just give that a try. Also thinking of fabricating my own shifter bezel/boot using parts available for late 60's stangs. I really hate the pleathery boot that comes stock - mine vibrates like crazy at speeds above 70. The old stangs had the rubber boot (as does my Ford Ranger) and I think that would be more vibration/buzz resistant. I'll be sure to post pics if I go that route.