Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Cooling System Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2007, 10:51 AM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Default RE: Cooling System Upgrade

Hmmmm, I rarely see under 40 degree temps. Maybe i should be using less coolant and more water? Of course water boils at a lower temperature than antifreeze right?

ORIGINAL: joshetc

ORIGINAL: moosestang

Also does anyone use the water wetter made by redline? Whipple recommends it in the intercooler and radiator in their instructions.
Stuff like water wetter gets its benefit from actually replacing antifreeze, it serves and anti-algae and anti-corrosion without anti-freezing capabilities. Regular anti-freeze has worse thermal characteristics than water wetter. Downside is your coolant will freeze if you live in an area that sees those temperatures. Simply adding racing coolant to a regular 50/50 mixture will not increase performance, it will actually lower it as you are displacing water which has better characteristics than racing fluid.

Also, Zerex Racing Coolant has been better for me than water wetter, its pink.. but leaves less gunk behind.
Old 08-28-2007, 11:07 AM
Wally39
4th Gear Member

Yes, water is a MUCH better way to get rid of heat than antifreeze. My S/C instructions say to have a 80/20 mix in the intercooler. I'm afraid to have 80% water though, because our winters here in Iowa get pretty cold. I don't want it freezing in there.
Old 08-28-2007, 12:24 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Wally39

Yes, water is a MUCH better way to get rid of heat than antifreeze. My S/C instructions say to have a 80/20 mix in the intercooler. I'm afraid to have 80% water though, because our winters here in Iowa get pretty cold. I don't want it freezing in there.
You definately don't want it freezing! I have a bird bath in my backyard and I can't remember the last time that thing froze and even then it's 1 day per year.
Old 08-28-2007, 01:08 PM
fordfanboy
I ♥ Acer

Best mod for you hands down would be to add a larger intercooler resevoir (icebox). Adam at ST Motorsports makes a nice one for the saleen kit.

You will be able to stuff Ice in there at the track and it will make a big difference but it is great for the street as well as you'll hold about 5 more gallons of water to feed the intercooler during daily driver. Must have mod IMO for all s/c kits.
Old 08-28-2007, 02:15 PM
blackhorse05
I ♥ Acer

well, once again ford fan is correct.im beginning to really like this guy.... and that is why i relocated the i/c resevoir to the tank with a 5 gal fuel cell. it has made a huge difference
Old 08-28-2007, 02:25 PM
fordfanboy
I ♥ Acer

Thanks![sm=icon_cheers.gif]

I can tell you guys now that I could not have a 10 sec daily driver without the larger intercooler resevior...period. It is that important.

Here is a dyno clip of my car to see where I put the larger resevior with a KB kit. (the big metal box over the driver fenderwell) The spot on the saleen and whipples is in front of the fan. I'll try to find a pic of one as I know several guys with them...

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v6...T9Aug07005.flv
Old 08-28-2007, 02:41 PM
blackhorse05
I ♥ Acer

ill post a pic of mine later tonight if i can. but basically i got 3/4 hose from lowes, about 50 bucks. you need at least 37ft. then ran the lines on the pass side of the car to the trunk. i mounted the cell on the corner of the valley for the spare. i also relocated the pump to the trunk and mounted it in the valley so it could be gravity fed. if you dont mind running without a spare, then its a great combo. i was even able to put the factory carpet back in, with a 2 holes for the lines. now i can still put groceries in the trunk
Old 08-28-2007, 02:58 PM
sactown
4th Gear Member

Very nice I will check it see if I can find an ice box on line. Was that ST Motorsports that built your car?
Old 08-28-2007, 02:59 PM
sactown
4th Gear Member

can't wait to see the pictures.
Old 08-28-2007, 03:16 PM
joshetc
2nd Gear Member

Water is a much better coolant than antifreeze. If you rarely see low temperatures I'd try a 75/5/20 mixture of 75% water, 5% zerex racing coolant, and 20% antifreeze. Remember another big reason to use antifreeze is the anti corrosion properties of it. With something like that you should be good to like 28-30F too.. somewhat below freezing, but if you see 20F you're ****ed.

Hmmmm, I rarely see under 40 degree temps. Maybe i should be using less coolant and more water? Of course water boils at a lower temperature than antifreeze right?

ORIGINAL: joshetc

Also does anyone use the water wetter made by redline? Whipple recommends it in the intercooler and radiator in their instructions.
Stuff like water wetter gets its benefit from actually replacing antifreeze, it serves and anti-algae and anti-corrosion without anti-freezing capabilities. Regular anti-freeze has worse thermal characteristics than water wetter. Downside is your coolant will freeze if you live in an area that sees those temperatures. Simply adding racing coolant to a regular 50/50 mixture will not increase performance, it will actually lower it as you are displacing water which has better characteristics than racing fluid.

Also, Zerex Racing Coolant has been better for me than water wetter, its pink.. but leaves less gunk behind.

Quick Reply: Cooling System Upgrade