Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Loss of Power at Operating Temps.?

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2007, 01:27 PM
fordfanboy
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: Loss of Power at Operating Temps.?

ORIGINAL: Wally39

My tuner noticed that when our cars heat up they pull timing. I forgot to mention that.
No offense but I would be a little concerned if your tuner just 'noticed' that and didn't know it for fact...

it is summer time guys and this is just what happens. The car has an IAT sensor that works just liek the knock sensors. When the sensor detects temps over a certain ยบ - it retards the timing. You'll notice it most at WOT. Just the way it is and it's for your safety. IAT's in the 220ยบ range +timing = bad for your motor.

For you s/c guys, a good mod to have is a larger intercooler resevoir (icebox). The ice helps loads at the track but just having the extra water helpd loads on the street in daily driving.

For you n/a guys, about the only thing that will help you out is a aftermarket rad, EH20 pump, and a hood allowing airflow.
Old 08-28-2007, 01:30 PM
CaptRestless
1st Gear Member

My tuner noticed that when our cars heat up they pull timing. I forgot to mention that.
I'm bone stock right now. Do Brenspeed or B a m a tunes fix this?
Old 08-28-2007, 02:28 PM
Tungsten
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: fordfanboy

it is summer time guys and this is just what happens.

For you n/a guys, about the only thing that will help you out is a aftermarket rad, EH20 pump, and a hood allowing airflow.
I guess it sucks to live in Florida where it's hot ALL the time.

Thanks for the info though...I think I'm going to add a performance radiator to my list of mods...
Old 08-28-2007, 02:46 PM
p.r gt

how about a 160 dgree termostat
Old 08-28-2007, 02:55 PM
blackhorse05
I ♥ Acer

you cant stop the timing issue. however that is also why it is not a good idea to run a n/i system if you plan on ******* the crap out of the car.

here is an example. my friend has a 6.0 gto. we race all the time and i can easily put 4 to 5 lengths on him no prob. his car is not stock. well a few months ago we raced and when i hit the top of 3rd he fly by me like i wasn't moving. for the next month he was killing me, and everyone Else i raced. thats when i said I'm moving the i/c reservoir to the trunk with the pump next to it. well guess what we found out. my i/c pump had taken a crap and i had been running non inter cooled.depending on the tune I'm on. i usually use my 452rwhp tune, and running with out the pump, i wouldn't be surprised it the iat temps got so hot i lost 4 to 5 degrees of timing, which would make me have about 352 rwhp easily. these cars do not like heat. as for n.a cars, i agree with fordfan, a bigger rad or hood or both.but be careful in the type of hood you get.functional hoods don't all do the same. some extract heat, and some are made to pull air in. i recommend a hood with the vents in the front, but its all a personal choice. many things are not needed on these car until you get into the 10 sec range, and then again its dependent on what you use the car for
Old 08-28-2007, 02:57 PM
Wally39
4th Gear Member

Where do I get one of those bigger intercooler resevoirs? Can someone post a link
Old 08-28-2007, 05:14 PM
MartyMoose
3rd Gear Member

Where do I get one of those bigger intercooler resevoirs? Can someone post a link
+1
Old 08-28-2007, 05:38 PM
blackhorse05
I ♥ Acer

ebay, summit, jegs, its a fuel cell. not a fuel tank, a cell. you can get 3gal 5gal etc etc.
Old 08-28-2007, 06:04 PM
fordfanboy
I ♥ Acer

Also try adam at st Motorsports (www.spankintime.com) he makes kits for the KB, Saleen, and whipple. Most all of the centrifugal guys use the vortech one and relocate the battery to the trunk. Can't use that one with the TS units and adam's are nice cause you don't have to relocate the battery if you don't want to.
Old 08-28-2007, 09:56 PM
Tungsten
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: fordfanboy

Also try adam at st Motorsports (www.spankintime.com) he makes kits for the KB, Saleen, and whipple. Most all of the centrifugal guys use the vortech one and relocate the battery to the trunk. Can't use that one with the TS units and adam's are nice cause you don't have to relocate the battery if you don't want to.
Dude...that freakin' bug in your sig gets me every time....

Quick Reply: Loss of Power at Operating Temps.?