Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Example of burnout...

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2007, 09:21 PM
fordfanboy
I ♥ Acer

Default Example of burnout...

Many 'how to' burnout threads so I'd thought I'd give you an example of what I have been talking about with 'MPH'

A good burnout should last about 3-4 seconds and you should 'roll' out of the burnout. The 'secret' is your mph. Forget about your rpm. Just focus on your mph. You have a rev limiter so don't worry about bumping it cause you won't hurt your car. You want your mph to be in the 55-60 mph range for about 3 seconds. As you can see from the example - 3 seconds is all you need to get a good smokey bunrout if your mph is up there...

I took off my line locs and I powerbrake the car.

http://videos.streetfire.net/video/3...99016208bd.htm
Old 08-29-2007, 09:35 PM
TheDarkPath
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Example of burnout...

Did you do the burnout in 1st or 2nd gear. I've had a few people tell me with the 4.10s I should try a burnout in 2nd gear instead of first.
Old 08-29-2007, 09:37 PM
Stkjock
Retired Mod

mark's a second gear guy... but he as an highly worked auto for racing....
Old 08-29-2007, 09:43 PM
TheDarkPath
3rd Gear Member

Well if the object is to get around 55mph, that's 2nd gear for me. The question is whether to let the car shift into 2nd during the burnout or to start out in 2nd. With the 4.10 gear, DRs, and a water box, I don't see much problem getting them to spin starting out in 2nd but I could be wrong.
Old 08-29-2007, 11:01 PM
fordfanboy
I ♥ Acer

You are on the money. The MPH is the key. You already know you need to be in second to reach 55-60 mph with 4.10's so you now know you need to be in 2nd.

Put the car in second, place your right foot accross the brake and gas. Slip your left foot on the outer edge of the clutch and hold it down with your toes on the edge. Give it gas to about 4500-5000 rpm while keeping pressure on the brake. Quickly slip your left foot to the side and 'pop' the clutch. As long as you're keeping pressure on the brakes, you'll break out the rear brakes and start spinning the rear tires while the front brakes hold.

Keep your eye on your mph and feather the gas to keep in the 5500-6000 range. Just keep watching the mph and once you have been in the 55-60 rpm for a couple seconds, then slowly let the pressure off the brake but keep the gas up and you'll 'roll' out. As you are rolling out, then you let off the gas and the car will roll itself out.

Be sure to have traction control off or a second gear burnout will end really quick...lol

A couple practices and you'll have it down like a pro![sm=icon_cheers.gif]
Old 08-29-2007, 11:02 PM
nhvickery
2nd Gear Member

if i dont have slicks is it worth it to get in a quick burnout or am i doin nothing but just shreding the tires?
Old 08-29-2007, 11:08 PM
fordfanboy
I ♥ Acer

When you say 'don't have slicks' do you mean you have drag radials or do you mean you just have street tires?

The burnout is the same for a slick or a bias DR. If you are on street tires, DO NOT DO A BURNOUT. It not only won't help you at all, it could actually slow you down and worse, it could cause you to drag water up to the line and **** some people off.

If you are on street tires you want to do what's called 'shake them loose'. This means a couple spins to clean any debris off of them. If you are on street tires, you want to either go around the water box or quickly drive through it and when they tell you to 'stop' just go a few more feet so you are in front if it. MPH doesn't matter here so you can spin the tires from first gear. Just rev the gas, dump the clutch and spin them a couple times and pull forward.
Old 08-29-2007, 11:45 PM
Stoenr
5th Gear Member

I've been told big smokey burnouts on DR's is wasting money. I think I have to agree. My 60ft's were no different when I smoked em up for my son in the stands. vs a quick burn. 1.8 on both.

Smokey one. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j2zXs5_ZOIA&eurl=
Just a little smoke http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K6CK-gMZdrE

But I gotta say the smokey ones sure look cool

Edit: of course Im not putting out as near as much power as you
Old 08-29-2007, 11:55 PM
nhvickery
2nd Gear Member

i just have street tires....and thats what i was wondering....sorry but basicaly what ur saying is do a real quick burnout in front of the water box?
Old 08-30-2007, 12:00 AM
06Saleen3V
6th Gear Member

Thanks for the info FordFanBoy! I was curious as what to do with street-tires...thanks for clearing that up

Quick Reply: Example of burnout...