Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Supercharger horsepower question

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2007, 07:34 AM
Wally39
4th Gear Member

Default Supercharger horsepower question

I've noticed most everyone with a supercharger has well over 400rwhp. I don't understand why I'm still at 400rwhp with a 3.4 pulley on my Saleen S/C. Is it because I don't have headers to let it breath better or what? I've had a custom tune by the way.
Old 09-05-2007, 07:41 AM
zkiller
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Supercharger horsepower question

It is all in the tune and the pulley size.
There are guys with over 800 horsepower and stock exhaust manifolds so it definately ain't headers.
I have stock exhaust and my KB is at about 480 RWHP
Old 09-05-2007, 08:52 AM
MustangGT0405
5th Gear Member

Not to be repetitive from other posts but dont get stuck on dyno numbers. Every dyno reads different high, low etc.

To compare yourself to others use your mph in the quarter mile. That is a better comparitor.

Congrats on the great car.
Old 09-05-2007, 09:34 AM
sactown
4th Gear Member

I have the 3.8 pulley, Ford Racing Fuel System, Steeda CIA, 39lb Cobra injectors, and custom tune. Exhaust is completely stock. What is different about your setup?
Old 09-05-2007, 09:35 AM
07SCGT
2nd Gear Member

I know from experience that I started out at 400RWHP and I had all my parts from JDM like you. JDM emails the same canned tune whether you had bought a 3.4 or a 3.6 pulley. Reasons are you most likely didn't spend the extra money on the fuel pump.

1st, if you want more power you need to invest in an aftermarket fuel pump so you can advance your timing. JDM has very very conservative tunes, but the good thing is be happy knowing they haven't blown a motor with any of there tunes yet, at least from what I've heard. remember, each degree of timingadds 7 HP.

2nd, my pulls were in early spring time when it was 60* outside, temp makes a huge diff.

3rd, wheel size can also account for loses, 20's for example will notspin as fast as 16's would.

4th, spend the $300 and get a full custom tune for driveabiliy. I noticed that when I broke away from the "canned email tune" my throttle response really woke up. Don't let the cost deter you, it is well worthyour money to invest in a custom tune, remember every car is different, especially after they add unique aftermarket mods.

good luck, hope this helps you out.

Old 09-05-2007, 12:36 PM
fordfanboy
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: MustangGT0405

Not to be repetitive from other posts but dont get stuck on dyno numbers. Every dyno reads different high, low etc.

To compare yourself to others use your mph in the quarter mile. That is a better comparitor.

Congrats on the great car.
YEP - Dyno numbers mean absoutely SQUAT...remember that... In fact - the only place a dyno number seems to matter is on the internet. The points about your fuel system are good ones - without an upgraded fuel system - you are really limited. I'd be willing to bet the majority of the guys pushing over 410 rwhp have upgraded fuel systems. Upgrading your fuel system is probably one of the best mods for the money you can do your car with FI. It opens up a lot of doors in tuning that are otherwise closed on the stock set-up.
Old 09-05-2007, 01:42 PM
jrm1900
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Wally39

I've noticed most everyone with a supercharger has well over 400rwhp. I don't understand why I'm still at 400rwhp with a 3.4 pulley on my Saleen S/C. Is it because I don't have headers to let it breath better or what? I've had a custom tune by the way.
The pulley is just one of the ingredients but it works within certain parameters, if you get a 10PSI pulley it doesnt mean you can run it. as the other guys stated, you need to improve your fuel system, including fuel pump and injectors, then you will need an intercooler and of course a tune.
If your car is auto you can expect a lower rwhp number, and also mentioned before air and engine temperature, altitude, dyno calibration and other factors will have an effect on teh HP
Old 09-05-2007, 02:13 PM
Wally39
4th Gear Member

I do have the Kenne Bell boost a pump for my fuel pump. Maybe that's not enough.
Old 09-05-2007, 02:54 PM
jrm1900
2nd Gear Member

Remember that the parts work as a whole, if you are not experiencing fuel starvation or lean conditions at wot, then the fuel system is ok.
If you are expecting more power from your current setup, I think the only way to go is to get a custom dyno tune, it will tell you if your car is running rich or lean and how much power they can squeeze out of your engine as is.
Then if you want to go with more boost you'll have to ask Saleen what they recommend, but IMHO after 6 psi you'll want an intercooler, and after 8PSI probably new larger injectors and a new tune. After 10/12PSI you'll need a new rotating assembly, tune, maybe even larger injectors etc. it all depends on what you want to do, how far you can go, and how much you want to spend.
Old 09-05-2007, 04:38 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

How much boost are you making?

Quick Reply: Supercharger horsepower question