Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

how well does the s197 stand up to abuse?

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2007, 02:03 AM
acdc163
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: how well does the s197 stand up to abuse?

+infinity.......
Old 09-06-2007, 11:20 AM
7STANG
99GTverts minion

I personally only have 6k mileson mine (no problems) but I have a friend who has an 05' with 48k that has seen nothing but hard WOT driving and he has had no problems what so ever.
Old 09-06-2007, 07:02 PM
Torque07
1st Gear Member

I agree with viking as well. I have a 97 Ranger with 140,000 mileson it and it is still going strong with no major repairs. Does not use any oil between oil changes and I drive it every day. If you do your maintance as scheduled it will last a long time.
Old 09-06-2007, 07:22 PM
wadman
2nd Gear Member

I drove only GM products for 25 years. Most were bought new and they all went back to shop for something. Its usually something like the a.c. stereo, or a power window that wont work. In 2003 I bought my first Ford and now have three in the driveway. They are far superior to G.M. Every time I drive my 05 gt I push it past the redline. I often wonder if it can take the beating for long but so far so good. To me the words high performance and import go together like a three piece suit and a pair of Nikes. I would much rather drive a chevy or dodge rather than a Toyota. They just arent cool!!!!!
Old 09-06-2007, 09:31 PM
06GT4RAD
5th Gear Member

There's a reason why most Fire Depts., Police Depts, Construction Company's, Tow Company's, Ambulance Company all use Ford cars and trucks. I think that alone should hold a lot of value.

And let me say this I grew up in a Strictly GM Family and there came a time when some of us finally said enough is enough and purchased Fords. And have not looked back since.

I personally however do not abuse any of my vehicles.

Richard
Old 09-06-2007, 11:38 PM
mygt500
Multi-Tasking Moderator!

1,000,000+ to Viking and his response! I have never had problems with any of the 5 stangs I have owned except for driver error or stupidity (like missing a gear and damaging parts of the drivetrain)
Old 09-07-2007, 01:53 PM
bazguitarman
2nd Gear Member

American made cars took a beating in the late 70`s and through the 80`s. It was more than obvious that the Japanese auto makers were more consistant in their quality. The US auto market took such a beating that they didn`t have any choice but to step up and be more consistant. I think Ford over-all has done a good job in meeting the increased demand for value vs. price. All the roller 5.0`s that are still on the road go to show how strong an American made car can be.

Unfortunately Ford takes one step forward and two back. The issues with car fires over the last 10 years are insane. I started doing a lot of research when deciding on a new Mustang and was scared by how big of an issue that it is. Many people have died, homes have been burned down, hundreds of cars lost, etc. All over a stupid little cruise control relay that was located in an improper place. I have one of the affected cars sitting in my driveway right now. Thank God we havn`t had any issues, but I know there is a problem that Ford has not fixed. They will not even admit there is a problem and will not recall many of the effected cars. And the cars continue to catch fire.

The recent recall of `08 Ford trucks just adds to that. All this continues to over shadow the fact that Ford makes some very good cars. My wife`s Focus has been trouble free except for a power window regulator issue. But she will never own another Ford because of the way they have handled the car/engine fire issues. She will not park her car close to the house for fear that it will catch fire. Seems crazy except for the fact that more than one home has burned down because of a Ford car catching fire while unattended. Makes the S197 water leak seem trivial, doesn`t it?

I have done a lot of research on the Mustang though. Even with all the TSB`s I feel secure in buying one. All the problems seem like growing pains for a new model. The car looks solid and Ford has quite a few good cars in their stable. I wish they would make a major move on the engine fire issues, but fortunately the S197 isn`t one of the cars that has this issue. Honestly I don`t care about the other Ford cars because I`m buying a Mustang. Gotta be realistic. No problems with the Mustang makes for a happy bazguitarman. Even if other Ford products are having some problems.

Eric
Old 09-07-2007, 08:42 PM
Torque07
1st Gear Member

All car companies have recalls including the imports. I know this because I work at an import dealership. As far as the fire issue have them install the fuse inline to the switch so it blows instead.
Old 09-07-2007, 10:59 PM
Maverick9110E
2nd Gear Member

yea seriously i had a 1980 ford F100 with the 300 cubic inh 6 cylinder when i got rid of it it had 250k miles on it and still ran like a champ.
Old 09-07-2007, 11:00 PM
Rt1Rebel
3rd Gear Member

I am assuming that the query involves the engine and drivetrain. Like all previous mustangs I own and have owned, I am sure that the engine and drivetrain will be going strong after the interior and other trim has been beaten to crap.

Quick Reply: how well does the s197 stand up to abuse?