Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

how well does the s197 stand up to abuse?

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2007, 10:06 AM
4wheelkillr
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: how well does the s197 stand up to abuse?

+10 to viking (as if he hasn't had enough support already)
just can't compare the longevity of grandma's corolla to my mustang gt. I hit redline and powershift just about every single time I'm behind the wheel. It's not my daily driver so when I do drive it believe me I put it thru the ringer. Only time will tell. I've got just over 7k miles on my '05 GT but I'm going to continue to beat on it until something breaks; if it breaks it'll be my fault not the car's. Then I'll fix it and beat on it some more!!
Old 09-08-2007, 09:57 PM
22kart22
4th Gear Member

I'm so sick of people saying imports are better quality and are overall better cars. This is the biggest bull**** ever laid upon us.

Why do american autos break down???

--Because we beat the **** out of them.. Seriously, does your grandma tow trailers and rip out trees with her corolla? NO
Do Civic owners do burnouts that shred the tires? NO
Do most import owners abuse their cars? NO

WE DO! Dammit, I gun my stang on a regular basis, and I damn well accept replacing a few minor parts for the fun I had.
Old 09-09-2007, 04:58 PM
Buddyweiser

I had 96 with a v6. Bought it about 7 yrs ago when I was 19. Fastest car I ever had at the time. My first vehicle was an 87 ranger with well over 130000 miles on it so I was impressed bty the difference. I dogged the **** out that thing and didn't even change the oil regularly or the tranny fluid and the thing still didn't give me any problems. No leaks if anything. The heater work awsome and the AC would freeze you ou in the summer. I had all the bolt ons too. CAI,bored out throttle body,3.73's,pro 5.0 shifter,mac headers and pacesetter dual exhaust conversion w/ flowmasters. You know the 3.8 has four bolt mains. These american cars are made to stand the test of time. They aren't MADE IN TAIWAN with flimsy steel. They're MADE IN USA where the standards are higher because we know we're gonna push these cars to the limit.
Old 09-11-2007, 11:21 PM
legendlime
2nd Gear Member

All those self proclaimed Enviornmentalist/ Actorsdriving thierJapanesehybrids to thier awards ceremonies drive me as crazy as those who state that Japanese cars are higher quality than domestics...
Do the Japanese companies take as much care protecting the enviornment while building thier cars as the American factories do?
Also, don't WE build Hybrids also??
I say an American car in your driveway says as much as flying Old Glory on your porch...JMHO...
Chris
Old 09-12-2007, 12:22 AM
One Bad Stang
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: viking396

I've read through a few responses like "Like all Ford products, I would suspect not too well." It's a comment that's not fact based and is ignorant. Ford builds quality cars, I used to own a Limo company and we avoided anything GM because they didn't hold up long term, Lincolns help up for hundreds of thousands of miles. I have owned almost nothing but Ford since 1984, ANY Mustang I have owned has been raced on the street, the track etc.. and held up to my abuse, anything that did break I caused most of the time due to a miss shift or installing slicks on a 7.5" rear end and expecting it to last, which it did for much longer than it should have, heck even my '97 GT held up to a lot of abuse, because it was so slow I beat on that damn thing even harder to get the most out of it, in the 3 years I owned it, the dealer saw it once for a broken fog light and I beat that damn thing hard.

My wife has had 2 S197's, both have been perfect, no trips to the dealer other than oil changes, my S197 has 504 crank hp and the stock everything has held up to the abuse of street racing, drag racing etc... Take your average Toyotathat doesn't see the kind of abuse the average Mustang sees, abuse the hell out of it like we do to Mustang'sand I'll lay odds it's going to be visiting the dealer. Now take that same Toyota and throw 67% more HP into the stock engine, don't build up anything else, drag race it, street race it and then brag about how well it holds up, don't brag about Grandmas stocker that doesn't see anything but nice daily use.

Perspective would be nice for this thread, like lets not compare a Toyota that goes to work each day to cars that see drag strip duty, daily drive duty and street racing duty plus power adders and a host of other add ons that the average Toyota never sees. I'm sure we'll hear about the indestructable Honda now, funny thing though, I've owned a few Honda's, not one of them has held up as well as my Ford's, but maybe I'm the only person that has gotten this lucky, maybe the 16 Ford's I've owned since 1984 were pure luck and the 4 Honda's I've owned were just unlucky.

I don't think so.
[sm=signs007.gif][sm=exactly.gif] *********best response in the whole effing world!!!!!!!!!!**********
I love it when an educated and informed person catches an ignorant one!!! burn haters!!!!!!

dont forget, for what its worth, JD Power ranked the s197 mustang THE MOST *RELIABLE* midsize car for 2007. and since they're all pretty similar, i'd say that applies to all s197's.
Old 09-12-2007, 12:31 AM
One Bad Stang
4th Gear Member

just wanted to add a testimonial...

before i had my S197 GT i had two cars, first a 1995 toyota corolla. next a 1989 ranger 2.3 5 speed manual. both were decent cars, but, the ranger saw about 2-3 hours a week of pre-runner action on stock suspension, and the ocasional pointless 0-60 run by myself. had 106k miles, and ran smooth as silk, did not leak, and was my favorite of the two.

now the corolla, slow as s**t, engine and trans leaked, needed cv joints, and the suspension was falling apart. and all this with only 56k miles. thats 6 years newer than the ranger, and 50kLESS miles. whats that say about quality???
Old 09-12-2007, 01:13 AM
dseid2
2nd Gear Member

I see that since my first post on this thread that the subject has shifted to Ford Quality vs Imports. I said in my first post that the S197 drive train will hold up to lots of abuse (no FI) if youmaintain it andhave the skills not to break it. I think the 3v engine is world class and I expect mine to go 200K before major overhaul. The 5 speed, driveshaft and rear-endcombination is raw, butfine in this applicationand I would not trademy 4.10's for anything. I love my Stang, but as far as the quality of the car goes, it's built for the masses. I boughtmy car because it was the cheapest, quickest car I could get for under $30K.A V8 Mustangis raw Americanmuscle and I am a muscle car guy.

As far as quality goes between American cars and Japanese cars, Japanese cars win hands down.One aspectof my job is to set the policy on what cars should be in our salesmen fleet. When Igot to the company 8 year ago, we had a fleet of Ford's and Chryslers.Every month it was either a transmission, A/C, or an engine. We were spending thousands and thousands of dollarsa month on repairs. For the last 4 year our fleet hasbeen exclusivelyToyota's, and guess what, no major breakdowns ever and I mean none.My 17 year old daughter drives an 06 Corolla.

Drive on!
Old 09-12-2007, 03:10 AM
jaguarking11
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Nuke

Like all Ford products, I would suspect not too well. But then I'm biased by over 1,000,000 miles on 5 of my Toyotas,ALL of which are still in use. But don't get me ranting about domestic vehicles...

Rick
[sm=smiley34.gif]
No offense dude but I have seen multiple domestics with more than 1/2 a million a piece run with no issues except regular maintenance. My friends father has put at least 4 fords with 500-600miles in the graveyard with no mechanical problems in the last 15 years. His last ford he put away after his son dented a fender simply because he was tired of the car and that had almost 600k on the odometer and it was a 97model year and he got rid of it in 05. My father sold a minivan with 200k+ and it never missed a thing after almost 8 years of construction material hauling. My fathers van has 65k on it and it runs like new, he uses that to haul everything from bricks to people as a contractor he abuses the dam thing and thats a chevy astro with no mechanical problems ever.

My last experince with a toyota was a 95 camry that nearly killed me on the highway @ 50miles an hour. It dam near shook itself to bits. I am not saying all toyotas are like that. Simply put I have not had good experinces with toyotas at all. If I were to go foreign I would get a honda instead and even that does not hold a candle to our cars.

On the recent mustang cruize, a guy there had a 99gt with 120k on it and he said he never had issues with it escept his rear is going out the door so he said untill he replaces it he needs to cut down on burnouts. I dont know about you but 120k worth of abuse and burnouts is enough for me.
Old 09-12-2007, 08:54 AM
downriverT
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: legendlime

I say an American car in your driveway says as much as flying Old Glory on your porch...JMHO...
Chris
+1