Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

*Warning* cervini side exhaust issues

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2007, 12:11 PM
Eleanor06
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: *Warning* cervini side exhaust issues

Scraper here..lol.Stock height also,but with just one passenger in the car I really don't have problems .
But if two more is in the back I'll usually scrape,or If I go over ridiculous big speed bumps that I have found
here in georgia..lol.But this little inconvenience is worth it to me.
Old 09-08-2007, 08:47 PM
Newbreedgt05
3rd Gear Member

Wow! I have the side exhaust kit on my car and the eibach pro-kit. I haven't had any problems with the exhaust hitting the ground. It even easily makes it up the steep curb on my driveway. It may be that the 20" wheels actually help out by lifting the car slightly higher, but even that would be minimal. I also have the tokicos and can set them to a tougher setting so the back doesn't sink down as much when it hits a bump. The roads in my area are pretty rough also.
For those that are wondering, this is how the side exhaust is routed. Keep in mind that the black chassis braces in the middle are only there since the car is a vert and the stock ones got in the way of the pipe. The part of the pipe that usually hits is the front 90 degree bend before it reaches the tips.

Old 09-08-2007, 09:41 PM
22kart22
4th Gear Member

lol get an 8" lift!
Old 09-08-2007, 09:53 PM
07SCGT
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Newbreedgt05

Wow! I have the side exhaust kit on my car and the eibach pro-kit. I haven't had any problems with the exhaust hitting the ground. It even easily makes it up the steep curb on my driveway. It may be that the 20" wheels actually help out by lifting the car slightly higher, but even that would be minimal. I also have the tokicos and can set them to a tougher setting so the back doesn't sink down as much when it hits a bump. The roads in my area are pretty rough also.
For those that are wondering, this is how the side exhaust is routed. Keep in mind that the black chassis braces in the middle are only there since the car is a vert and the stock ones got in the way of the pipe. The part of the pipe that usually hits is the front 90 degree bend before it reaches the tips.

I want to really thank you for taking the time to do this, I think this clears up the issues for some people without the exhaust setup. Basically you are right Newbreed, the very first 90* that is 6" from the side tips is what was only 1/1/4". The exhaust shop said they wouldn't mount it with less than 3" of clearance for safety and insurance issues. They actually mouned the tips to my subframe connectors that I have installed, then took the exhaust straight back and dumped the U shaped pieces altogether. I am assuing that your Eibach kit didn't lower you more than 1" and or you have less than 3" of clearance and an exhaust shop with different policies. I am really bummed about it myself but I wasn't going to lose the Saleen suspension, BTW it lowered me 1/7/8" basically 2" all around. I will take a picture of my wheel welland close up's tomorrow of my actual clearance right now from a side view in the morning when theres more light. I have to be riding a solid inch lower than you Newbreed because I have to back into my driveway to avoid tearing my front bumper off, it was that bad of a scrape....OUCH.....painful memories.
Old 09-08-2007, 10:28 PM
WhiteStallion06
4th Gear Member

I am not lowered and i had a similar problem . The exhaust tip clamps were put on facing down and long story short i scraped the ground and the clamp grabbed the pavement and pulled it all outta whack. It scratched my side skirt and still isnt perfect. I wanted to lower it but i cant imagine lowering it now , its awful i still scrape every once in awhile sorry to hear about that . Those tips are a pain in the ***. The only i could think of would be getting some custom tips made so they are even with the exhaust.
Old 09-09-2007, 02:22 PM
Pwny
4th Gear Member

I would stick with the rear exit! I have to have a lowered car.
Old 09-09-2007, 07:02 PM
jared188
1st Gear Member

Hey guys hows it going? I am new to this forum and to mustang in general.. I just bought a 07 gt 3 weeks ago and I am interested in the Cervinis body kit and side exhaust. I was told by a guy on a different forum the his side exhaust from Cervinis sounds like crap. I was wondering how you guys liked your side exhaust sound??
Old 09-09-2007, 09:27 PM
mattblasi
3rd Gear Member

OK OK no fighting, I have the Cervini's kit and H&R Coilovers, I am lowered farther than pretty much EVERY other Cervini's that I have ever seen, not only that but I also know I am lowered more than a Saleen. There were 2 times in the 20k miles I have on my car that I have had an issue, the first was from the same thing as WhiteStallion, the bolts were facing down and the I grounded it out and forced the pipe up. The second was because I was run off the road one night and snagged the exhaust.

I do take speed bumps slowly and I have never had an issue around Phoenix/Scottsdale/Mesa or Tempe so I am not sure where in AZ you are but Yes I take driveways at an angle but I have never scrapped on them on any of them.

Cervini's knows that clearance can be an issue and I have never had anyone there deny its a possibility but I have to side with the fact that if you drive it like a lowered car then it will be fine. In all regards I have scraped with the 430 more than I have my Mustang.

If anyone has seen my car they know I ride low, I have had lowered cars for years both in Phoenix and in DC Metro area and thought yes at times I have had my problems congratulations it happens.

Now for the tips sitting at an angle, that is how they were designed, Cervini's meant for them to be that way. If you saw their first car then you would have known that. Now mine sit flush, why because I spent $150 for a little over an hour of labor and the pipe to cut out a piece and have then re-bent and re-welded to be flush with the car. Any truly custom exhaust shop can do this. If you need a shop let me know I can tell you of a few in both the Phoenix area and DC area.

Ending, I am sorry you are unhappy with the kit, the Ronale has the same issue, in fact this was the reason Roush chose against a side exhaust on this car. It was occasionally an issue on the older Roush cars that had the side pipes.

I hope whatever you switch too makes you happier, but if you did not hurt the paint it would not be hard or expensive to get fixed, if you did crack the sides then there would be more work probably to the tune of $250-$300 more for reglassing, prepping and repainting.

Just my .02 hope I did not offend anyone. =)
Old 09-09-2007, 09:29 PM
mattblasi
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: jared188

Hey guys hows it going? I am new to this forum and to mustang in general.. I just bought a 07 gt 3 weeks ago and I am interested in the Cervinis body kit and side exhaust. I was told by a guy on a different forum the his side exhaust from Cervinis sounds like crap. I was wondering how you guys liked your side exhaust sound??

I love the exhaust, I guess its really everyones personal opinion.
Old 09-10-2007, 12:04 AM
07SCGT
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: mattblasi

OK OK no fighting, I have the Cervini's kit and H&R Coilovers, I am lowered farther than pretty much EVERY other Cervini's that I have ever seen, not only that but I also know I am lowered more than a Saleen. There were 2 times in the 20k miles I have on my car that I have had an issue, the first was from the same thing as WhiteStallion, the bolts were facing down and the I grounded it out and forced the pipe up. The second was because I was run off the road one night and snagged the exhaust.

I do take speed bumps slowly and I have never had an issue around Phoenix/Scottsdale/Mesa or Tempe so I am not sure where in AZ you are but Yes I take driveways at an angle but I have never scrapped on them on any of them.

Cervini's knows that clearance can be an issue and I have never had anyone there deny its a possibility but I have to side with the fact that if you drive it like a lowered car then it will be fine. In all regards I have scraped with the 430 more than I have my Mustang.

If anyone has seen my car they know I ride low, I have had lowered cars for years both in Phoenix and in DC Metro area and thought yes at times I have had my problems congratulations it happens.

Now for the tips sitting at an angle, that is how they were designed, Cervini's meant for them to be that way. If you saw their first car then you would have known that. Now mine sit flush, why because I spent $150 for a little over an hour of labor and the pipe to cut out a piece and have then re-bent and re-welded to be flush with the car. Any truly custom exhaust shop can do this. If you need a shop let me know I can tell you of a few in both the Phoenix area and DC area.

Ending, I am sorry you are unhappy with the kit, the Ronale has the same issue, in fact this was the reason Roush chose against a side exhaust on this car. It was occasionally an issue on the older Roush cars that had the side pipes.

I hope whatever you switch too makes you happier, but if you did not hurt the paint it would not be hard or expensive to get fixed, if you did crack the sides then there would be more work probably to the tune of $250-$300 more for reglassing, prepping and repainting.

Just my .02 hope I did not offend anyone. =)
I am actually very happy with my Cervini setup and wouldn't switch anything about it. I only posted in this forum after talking to Cervini's (Jeremy) about what the exhaust shop told me not wanting to mount them on a 2" lowered car. I wanted to let others know about my personal experiences with Cervini, being lowered 2" and what to expect.Jeremy at Cervini's told me "Our kit was not designed for any radical lowering, in fact our C-500's leave here with approx 1" lowering kit, which leaves just under 3" of clearance for our setups". My exhaust shop as I stated above said for liability reasons they wouldn't mount anything with less than a 3" clearance. The shop manager and I got under the car and measured from the 1st 90* bend and discovered I had less than 2" of clearance. He strongly urged me to lose the U shaped part and dump it out the back. I followed his advice and did just that. I am happy with my setup, the tips are for looks only now. Also are you riding on 20"s? I can only fit 19"s (which I opted for 18's instead). With that setup and on 40 series tires I have 1/1/4" clearance from wheel well to tire all around. I am intrested in seeing some pics of your setup, and I might possibly go back and have them custom bend the U shaped like you said you did.

Quick Reply: *Warning* cervini side exhaust issues