Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

*Warning* cervini side exhaust issues

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2007, 09:28 AM
07SCGT
2nd Gear Member

Default *Warning* cervini side exhaust issues

Hey guys,
Just a quick update on the exhaust that I was having installed yesterday for the Cervini side out exhaust. Basically according to Cervini and my local exhaust shop, the issues that I have been having with clearance is mainly due to the kit not being intended for a lowered vehicle. I guess they didn't realize it when I ordered it and told them I had a saleen race suspension that was lowered on it....[:@][:@][:@]. I am at the cross roads of losing the suspension going back to stock height, or dumping the side exhaust altogether. Since I am lowered 1/3/4 inches all around my clearance is only 1/1/5" from the side exhaust pipe (not the tips), that hang lower than the side skirts (WHY???), awesome design if you ask me. According to Cervini the clearance on stock height is still only 3.25", man that's low!!!!! Here in Arizona we have mostly rolled driveways, right now I ca't get it out of my driveway without scraping bad. So buyer beware of this kit if you have lowered your vehicle. It looks cool but just intended for stock ride heights, according to Jeremy at Cervinis.

Old 09-07-2007, 09:47 AM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Default RE: *Warning* cervini side exhaust issues

ORIGINAL: 07SCGT

Hey guys,
Just a quick update on the exhaust that I was having installed yesterday for the Cervini side out exhaust. Basically according to Cervini and my local exhaust shop, the issues that I have been having with clearance is mainly due to the kit not being intended for a lowered vehicle. I guess they didn't realize it when I ordered it and told them I had a saleen race suspension that was lowered on it....[:@][:@][:@]. I am at the cross roads of losing the suspension going back to stock height, or dumping the side exhaust altogether. Since I am lowered 1/3/4 inches all around my clearance is only 1/1/5" from the side exhaust pipe (not the tips), that hang lower than the side skirts (WHY???), awesome design if you ask me. According to Cervini the clearance on stock height is still only 3.25", man that's low!!!!! Here in Arizona we have mostly rolled driveways, right now I ca't get it out of my driveway without scraping bad. So buyer beware of this kit if you have lowered your vehicle. It looks cool but just intended for stock ride heights, according to Jeremy at Cervinis.

That really sucks! But one thing to consider is that the pipe would HAVE to go UNDER the car frame in order to exit out the sides. I'm not sure if that clicked when you went to call them. I'm really surprised Cervinis didn't catch that either. You can't have lowered AND side exhaust... It's a big reason you don't see to many side exhuast systems anymore, it really restricts any type of handling mods with lowering you can do.
Old 09-07-2007, 09:58 AM
SaddleUp
5th Gear Member

That's one of the reasons I went with the rear exit exhausts with my kit........plus I liked the dual exhausts on the back being the last thing people see. I chose straight side skirts instead and the car looks just as clean, lil' better now in the back IMO................... s ~
Old 09-07-2007, 01:55 PM
okbfd
4th Gear Member

That is such a crock since Cervini lowers their C300-350-500 all the way around when they do the install. I have trouble with the same issue and I only lowered the rear 1.5 Dang thing still scrapes on a speed bump that is at all agressive. [:@]
Old 09-07-2007, 02:41 PM
07SCGT
2nd Gear Member

I am finding out the hard way that 20's and side exhaust don't work well with the lowered Saleen race suspension I put on. I don't mind riding on 18's, and actually prefer them for performance reasons. The trouble I have is the side exhaust not working with the side skirts after spending the time and money on themin addition to the prepping, sanding and painting of them.I have decided to run the exhaust to the back and just have the tips mounted to my subframe connectors. I won't gain or lose any HP or performance since they are just not attaching the 4' U shaped bend in the tube, the glass packs will still be in tact. Just is dissapointing to me, and another thing I can add to the OOPS I shouldn't have bought that, list.
Old 09-07-2007, 02:43 PM
07SCGT
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: SaddleUp

That's one of the reasons I went with the rear exit exhausts with my kit........plus I liked the dual exhausts on the back being the last thing people see. I chose straight side skirts instead and the car looks just as clean, lil' better now in the back IMO................... s ~
That is a good idea actually for down the road. I will eventually end up buying the side skirts ou have and port the exhaust out the back like you. Sweet looking car there, very clean looking.
Old 09-07-2007, 03:21 PM
sactown
4th Gear Member

that fricking suck! I would dump the exhaust.
Old 09-07-2007, 04:15 PM
Shard Phoenix
2nd Gear Member

Just weld some 1/4th inch thick steel runner platesall the way down the mufflers, then it can scrape for years and never do anything :P Just dont get them hung up one something!
Old 09-07-2007, 06:16 PM
Timmay!!!
4th Gear Member

That really sucks. I was really considering the side exhaust kit when I start working on my show mods. Theres no way I'm going back up to stock height again.
Old 09-07-2007, 09:18 PM
mygt500
Multi-Tasking Moderator!

07SCGT- I know we talked about this in great lengths through email but wanted others to hear my opinion on this subject. It is funny that Cervinis does lower the C-300 and the C-500 (mostly used in show cars). Now I have the side exhaust and never ran into any problems with the exhaust hitting the ground, but I am NOT lowered but I do have the springs (steeda ultralights) and am thinking of getting the rear lowered only as it is impossible for me to lower the front. I want some of the rake to be removed and the front looks lowered already and the rear has about 1.25-1.5 inches of drop still to make the car level. I live in a state that has rolled curbs but it was before they left them rolled for the driveways. I mean that the driveways in my subdivision are all cut to level (old subdivision) with the street with little incline so I can get in and out of my driveway fine. Head to my parents house and I will not go up the drive as they have the same curbs as 07SCGT. I use the car for show and know all the areas I drive the car before going there. So yes there are special considerations with the car and the kit itself but I would not discourage anyone from getting the side exhaust. If you want a track car or DD than yes I would not get it lowered and even consider staying with the exhaust out the back. But if for show the sound is great as it is closest to your ear and I love the look (one of a kind in my state). Saddleup and07SCGT- I totally understand your reasons for not going with the side exhaust and okbfd it sucks that you scrape at times too. I just wanted to throw this out there and I live in the pothole state -Michigan! Basically what I am trying to get across and 07SCGT basically said too is consider where you live and what you use the car for before deciding on going out the back or going with the side exhaust. Take care J

Quick Reply: *Warning* cervini side exhaust issues