Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

What headers to get?

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2007, 02:32 PM
SlinkyBMX
2nd Gear Member

Default What headers to get?

I am looking to get headers but do not know what one is best for me. I don't know if I should get long or short, or even what brand to get. I would like to know the benifits of either types and what I need to do to install either. Thanks for the help!
Old 09-09-2007, 02:35 PM
Pwny
4th Gear Member

Default RE: What headers to get?

I wonder how many people are going to reply saying, "use the search button!". However, I would say you should stick with the long tubes. I have heard nothing but good things about long tubes. Plenty more power at the top end and just all around better than short tubes. You will need a tune though if you get long tubes. I encourage you to do a quick search on these forums, and you'll get plenty of good information.

Also, get a package that comes with an x-pipe or h-pipe. This is an easy way to make sure everything fits correctly.

As far as brand is concerned, I would go with American Racing. I have heard nothing but great things about their product!

Good luck and happy hunting.
Old 09-09-2007, 02:56 PM
suoperdave84
4th Gear Member

Get Long Tubes only!!!! LTs get you somewhere in the 20-25 HP range, and the Shorty Headers get you from 0-5 HP.

I agree with Pwny about getting a package. I am personally going to go with the whole Kooks setup (everything from the Axel forward). Kooks are really expensive but top quality. About $1500 from Brenspeed but I think Texas Hotrods has the same thing for like $1350.

The prices differ greatly because of the materials. The expensive ones are made of the highest quality stainless steel, and as the price lowers, so does the quality. HP improvements will be similar though.
Old 09-09-2007, 05:28 PM
mpn1jgk

I have Kooks long tube headers from JDM and the car is tuned for the headers as well. You will notice a difference in performance...Joe
Old 09-09-2007, 06:59 PM
androdz
I ♥ Acer

Go with jba for 500$ a piece you CAN'T go wrong
Old 09-09-2007, 07:04 PM
TheMeanestofTimes
1st Gear Member

I have BBK LT their great!
Old 09-09-2007, 07:40 PM
Mikes_BLK_GT
4th Gear Member

Whatever you get Make sure it has the eramic coating, if not the headers will raise the underhood temp quite a bit. What you get will depend partially on where you live. I say that because I know of a number of people who have to go with shorties because cali emmisions laws. Now if carb approved parts are not required in your state then your probably good to go but it is something to think about. As stated above get a full kit that comes with cats and midpipe or just midlpipe w/o cats if you prefer. ARH and kooks are regarded on this and TMS forum's to be the best.
Old 09-09-2007, 09:00 PM
tonkpils555666sas
4th Gear Member

shorties dont really do much. they may make the car sound a little more agressive and provide small hp gains... i would go longtube. would you get the headers only or get a new mid pipe as well?
Old 09-09-2007, 09:01 PM
tonkpils555666sas
4th Gear Member

i luv my Dynatech set up...!!! that with the ud pulleys and delete plates and tune dropped me a whole second (dont know if the whole second was due mainly to the exhaust though)
Old 09-09-2007, 10:43 PM
Mikes_BLK_GT
4th Gear Member

If I go LT which is what I would prefer, I'll get a mid w/cats to go with them. Shorties I dont know maybe but it'll be catted either way. I also want them ceramic coated eitherway so that gets exspensive when it comes to lt's. I dont have the cali type retrictions at this point which really restricts what you can do and still pass smog tests so I'm not worried about that just cost.

Quick Reply: What headers to get?