Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Is My Fuel Pump Failing? Battery? Spark Plugs?

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2007, 10:16 AM
FredTT
3rd Gear Member

Default Is My Fuel Pump Failing? Battery? Spark Plugs?

Hey Everyone,

I tried to get in my car this morning to run an errand, and almost immedialty after I pulled out of the parking sport and took off, the little wrench light (not check engine) came on. So I pulled to the side, turned off the car and turned it back on, it roared to life, and died. Reset the key, waited a little, tried it again, and everything seemed fine so I kept going, and it cam one again within 20 seconds. I turned it off and on at least 5-6 times, and every time this happened. The one itme it didn't, it died after about a 1/8 mile (coming to a stop).

No code, no CEL, just that stupid little wrench. I thought it might be somethign wrong with the fuel, so I turned the Boost-a-Pump up all the way, but I still have a pretty low fuel pressue, milde acceleration use to give me 34-36 PSI now its about 28PSI. Idle use to be around 30PSI but now its 26PSI. I don't know is its the Fuel Pump thats starting to die or if the Alternator died and my batteries (yes two batteries) are dead and the car is failing because there is enough power to start the car but not to keep it running? What do ya'll think?

Or maybe, since I've ben running pretty rich (10.8) for a while - about 6 months now - there is something wrong with my spark plugs.

~Fred
Old 09-15-2007, 10:29 AM
FredTT
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Is My Fuel Pump Failing? Battery? Spark Plugs?

Electronic throttle control (if equipped): Illuminates when the engine has defaulted to a ’limp-home’ operation. Report the fault to a dealer at the earliest opportunity.

Thats what the wrench means, but why is it doing that? This isn't the first time its done it, it probably done it about 3 or 4 times, but every other time I've been able to turn it off and on and everything goes back to normal.

~Fred
Old 09-15-2007, 10:32 AM
sactown
4th Gear Member

My guess would be fuel pump or maybe fuel filter. Are you still using the stock pump? Just with a boost-a-pump?
Old 09-15-2007, 10:35 AM
FredTT
3rd Gear Member

Ya, Everyone here said the stock pump is good up to 450 hp, especially with a Boost-A-Pump. I'm only pushing 380 to the wheels (running pretty conservative).

~Fred
Old 09-15-2007, 12:33 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

The battery doesn't power the car once it's running so that's not your problem. It could very well be the alternator. Do you hear the pump run when you first turn the key to on before starting? What's the pressure at after the pump stops running before you start the car?

I don't know what my stock pump pressure was, but with the GT500 pumps it goes up to 56-60psi before starting the car and is normally at 38-42psi when cruising or idling.

The car doesn't set a CEL? Seems like it would have to if the engine dies, but what do i know.

I don't know **** about the boost-a-pump, but I know a lot of people don't like them.
Old 09-15-2007, 02:53 PM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

were you able to make your 8psi of boost
routinely, before these recent developments?

Old 09-15-2007, 05:22 PM
FredTT
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: moosestang

The battery doesn't power the car once it's running so that's not your problem. It could very well be the alternator. Do you hear the pump run when you first turn the key to on before starting? What's the pressure at after the pump stops running before you start the car?

I don't know what my stock pump pressure was, but with the GT500 pumps it goes up to 56-60psi before starting the car and is normally at 38-42psi when cruising or idling.

The car doesn't set a CEL? Seems like it would have to if the engine dies, but what do i know.

I don't know **** about the boost-a-pump, but I know a lot of people don't like them.
I do hear the pump. It still works, but i'm thinking it may be on its way out. Those PSI reading are well above my normal range. I don't know much about the BAP, but it was cheaper then buying the dual pump system.

ORIGINAL: hammeron

were you able to make your 8psi of boost
routinely, before these recent developments?
Ya, always. Never had a problem hitting max boost.

~Fred
Old 09-15-2007, 05:30 PM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

alrighty then. i'd start with the easy stuff....

pull a spark plug or two, to get a feel for
how things are going......

Old 09-18-2007, 10:54 AM
FredTT
3rd Gear Member

Well, I tried it again today and everything worked really well. I ran a few errands and picked up some takout. One thing I noticed though was that on start, the Fuel Pressure Gauge pretty much goes nuts and finally stabilizes after everything is up and running (20 seconds).

After that, any use of the electrical system (radio, very loud radio detector, windows, phone charger, etc) will cause the fuel pressure to flucuate by 4-5PSI.

I think that kind of excludes the spark plugs. Batteries (I have one for the car and one for ethe audio system hooked up in paralell), Alternator, or Fuel Pump/BAP system. Whats the easiest to test?

Or was it just morning sickness....my car is pregnant.

~Fred
Old 09-18-2007, 11:18 AM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

if it were me.....

there are too many variables at work here...
i would disconnect the secondary battery and any
unnecessary accessories while troubleshooting....

it sounds like the FPDM or the pump itself, is
not getting a stable driving voltage....

a) alternator
b) FPDM
c) fuel pump
d) one of the 2 car batteries has a bad cell

Quick Reply: Is My Fuel Pump Failing? Battery? Spark Plugs?