Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

287 HP on 87 Octane

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2007, 05:42 PM
balli

Default 287 HP on 87 Octane

Wow...all I can say is the JLT Tunes I got from B@ma were crap. The car loaded up on the dyno on all 3 tunes. The tunes ran WAY too fat down low as well as on top. B@ma sent me the following tunes
JLT 87 Perf, 89 Torque and 93 Race.

Max power on the B@ma was 272hp with 280lbs torque. Believe it of not the car responded best to the 87 perf tune.

The guys at Gearheads performance recommended to try the factory SCT tunes. We switched to the SCT Tune..selected the JLT intake and the car made 287HP with 296 lbs torque on the 91 octane tune. We tried the 93 octane tune and the car dropped 3hp.

Temp at the time was 100 degrees 31% humidity.

I'm running Costco regular unleaded. It never detonated when we switched tunes. I figure if it doesn't ping at 100 degrees under a full load the 87 octane should be safe with the 91 tune.

Here's the dyno results. Nice smooth AF
Old 09-15-2007, 05:53 PM
Monstermike1311

Default RE: 287 HP on 87 Octane

I had the same problem with B@ma tunes. My local shop installed everthing and the 91 tune was in the neighborhood of 256 hp and with serious pinging. My guy then loaded up his personal 87 tune and dynoed it and came alive with 295 hp and 303lbs of torque.I dont see how people thing B@ma tunes are worth anything. By the way if you in the orlando area it worth going to Lamotta Performance in Longwood. Just wanted to give my 2 cents worth.
Old 09-15-2007, 06:03 PM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

ORIGINAL: Monstermike1311

I had the same problem with B@ma tunes. My local shop installed everthing and the 91 tune was in the neighborhood of 256 hp and with serious pinging. My guy then loaded up his personal 87 tune and dynoed it and came alive with 295 hp and 303lbs of torque.I dont see how people thing B@ma tunes are worth anything. By the way if you in the orlando area it worth going to Lamotta Performance in Longwood. Just wanted to give my 2 cents worth.
Becuase every car is different, not all cars react the same, My b ama tunes are great, and many many others will say the same. All mail tunes will be a little fat for the protection of your car, some might just be a little fatter than others. A dyno tune allows for this adjustment. You are only 2 people out of the hundreds he has done tunes for and I havent heard many complaints about the tunes at all.

By the way I still wouldnt run a 91 tune with 87 gas....you might not hear pinging but it still is not a good idea.
Old 09-15-2007, 07:33 PM
BillyBobJoe
4th Gear Member

^^^ indeed. B@ma is a good tuner. I've hear more complaints about Brent's tunes, but I still use him cuz they have excellent customer service and consistency. These cars are unlike any other car Ford has made. The platform is new, the engine is new, the driveline is new, everything in these cars is very different. Especially from car to car. And ya, def don't run the 87 gas with the 91 tune.
Old 09-15-2007, 08:21 PM
Mikes_BLK_GT
4th Gear Member

I have both and both run great I am currently running brenspeed's.Only complaints Ive heard about brents tunes is detonation and I had that at first as well but he retuned it for me and it runs great.
Old 09-16-2007, 09:18 AM
balli

A little fat in an understatment. The car smoked it was running so rich. You could smell the fuel coming from the car. Nothing personal against B@ma... it's just his tunes ran terrible on my car. I had better luck with the SCT tunes.
Old 09-16-2007, 09:56 AM
rravolt
2nd Gear Member

when you switch the tunes between octanes you really should have that octane in the tank that could of been the problem
Old 09-16-2007, 10:26 AM
Mikes_BLK_GT
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: balli

A little fat in an understatment. The car smoked it was running so rich. You could smell the fuel coming from the car. Nothing personal against B@ma... it's just his tunes ran terrible on my car. I had better luck with the SCT tunes.
Have you contacted Doug about your issue's?.....he cant help to fix it if he doesnt know it's its broken.
Old 09-16-2007, 12:03 PM
killbee
1st Gear Member

I just got my XCal 3 from Dougat B@ma tunes and all I can say it runs like a bat out of h###. I just running the 89 performance tune right now and my automatic GT will bark the tires at will. I would drop him an emailabout this issue. Did you list all your mods when you purchased the tune from him?
Old 09-16-2007, 08:15 PM
balli

I did tell him the mods listed. All I am saying is SCT standard tune vs B@ma custom tunes...the SCT made more power.
We ran the SCT tunes after I tried all 3 B@ma tunes. The guys ar Gear Heads Performance said the car was loading up. As a test we let the car cool for 10 minutes and ran the 3 SCT tunes. The SCT tunes outperformed the B@ma tunes.

I understand all cars run different. My car LOVED the SCT 91 octane tune. It made 4 more HP than the SCT 87 tune.

Quick Reply: 287 HP on 87 Octane