Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Pinging after dyno tune?

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2007, 09:46 PM
JGT
2nd Gear Member

Default Pinging after dyno tune?

I had my car dyno tuned recently. The A/F ratio was right on 13.0, where the tuner said it should be.

Under WOT and higher RPMs, I am getting a sound. It isn't really a pinging. I am not getting the higher pitched, tinny, metallic sound. I have heard that classic pinging sound before, and this is not it. This is lower pitched. My first impression was that it was more of a "scraping" sound, or like velcro being ripped apart. But the more I think about it, perhaps it could still be considered to be a marble in a can sound, but without the bell like ringing, maybe as if you were shaking the can very quickly while holding all sides of it so it doesn't ring. Could this still be detonation? It lasts only for a brief moment while accelerating very hard.

I am thinking maybe this is a timing issue?

Is this something a dyno tuner should be able to get perfect while tuning the car, or is it possible for a dyno tuner to advance the timing a little too much and need to back it up later on?

Isn't this something I can do myself with the SCT?

By the way, I also heard this sound back when I had a Brenspeed tune. I thought I was just running lean and the dyno tune should fix it, but I am still getting the sound. Any help is appreciated, it has me a little worried.
Old 09-19-2007, 08:00 AM
Pwny
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Pinging after dyno tune?

Your A/F ratio can be fine with lower octane fuel, and octane rating determines its resistance to detonation. I am unfamiliar with dyno tunes, but I'm assuming that they changed the timing for higher compression.

If you don't put higher octane fuel in with an engine that has a high compression ratio, you can detonate!
Old 09-19-2007, 10:32 AM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

Old 09-19-2007, 11:14 AM
JGT
2nd Gear Member

The tune was for 93 octane, and that is what I currently have in the tank. I don't think it would be a case of bad gas either, since this has happened a few times with different tanks.

So, does everyone agree this sounds like detonation? Even though I am not getting the pingy metallic ringing type of sound?
Old 09-19-2007, 03:28 PM
grampa_stang
4th Gear Member

Maybe....

https://mustangforums.com/m_3772748/tm.htm
Old 09-19-2007, 09:12 PM
ClemsonAce
1st Gear Member

I have heard that noise as well in mine... so I switched to the 89 tune keeping the premium fuel and still heard it (only at wide open).. not sure what it is.

To me it sort of sounds like its gasping to suck air in (maybe scraping as you described it). Keep me updated if you figure anything out.
Old 09-19-2007, 10:13 PM
drbobvs
5th Gear Member

If it's truly pinging you heat, it's probably the timing. The tuner probably couldn't hear the pinging while on the dyno, those things make so much noise...
Old 09-19-2007, 11:14 PM
dseid2
2nd Gear Member

What you are describing does not sound like pre-detonation to me.
Old 09-19-2007, 11:20 PM
JGT
2nd Gear Member

I talked to my tuner, he is going to take a test drive with me to see if he hears it, and revise the tune if needed.

ClemsonAce, it sounds like you know what I am talking about. If it is pinging, like these guys have said, it could be from timing, and I don't think changing the octane would make a difference in that case (anyone, correct me if I am wrong).

But, if it isn't pinging/detonation, I don't know...Does pinging have to have that metallic, ringy quality to it or are there variations on this sound? I think the tuner might not totally be convinced it is detonation either, since he wanted to hear the sound for himself before making any changes.
Old 09-20-2007, 01:50 AM
ratnacage
3rd Gear Member

Detonation can have a velcro sound to it. Having too much timing in can lead to detonation even if you're running 93 octane. Have all your tanks been filled from the same brand or station?

Quick Reply: Pinging after dyno tune?