Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Long Tube Headers - "Engine Light" - Tune ?

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2007, 11:22 PM
RedfireMustang06GT
1st Gear Member

Default Long Tube Headers - "Engine Light" - Tune ?

Well, I'm needing someone out there that can give me some tips on getting rid of the "check engine light" and it so causing to"rob"/take away,,,horsepower?? and even tq??, as I've been told from 2 sources nowthat it could do it up to5-15 hp, maybe more??!! Just b/c of the engine light......

I have the XCALII (original Brenspeed tune), and the car is tuned now by the Pro Race Shop and was put on the Mustang Dyno,,, however, the check engine light is on, for obvious reasons..[:@] ( 02 sensor )

Anyone know the best way to approach and tune the car appropriately?I know it's probably down to tricking it to the car thinking the cats are still there?? I've spent too much $$ on partsto losehorsepower b/c its not tuned properly.I've might as well not spend$2k on goodies (I have JBA Titanium L/T Headers with a JBA H-pipe..)just to make it louder and changed the gears out to 3:73...... [&:]

All the "hardware" is cleanly installed, its just a software issue with the brain now?? I hope someone whom reads this well shed some light on this matter for me... I've always had great luck with all the friendly users on this site & would appreciate it very much.

Regards,

Reed
Old 09-20-2007, 12:53 AM
Whiteflash454
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Long Tube Headers - "Engine Light" - Tune ?

Personally I would call up or go to the |3ama website and order a custom race tune 93 oct and tell them what mods u have and ur Cal ID etc, etc, and ur car will be alot better then it is
Old 09-20-2007, 01:45 AM
ratnacage
3rd Gear Member

You're not losing any HP - it's purely an annoyance. It has to do with the time it takes for the O2 signals to travel (no kidding) because of the placement on the JBA's (I had the same problem). You need to find a shop that can custom tune and eliminate the nuisance fault, or see if Brenspeed can adjust your parameters to eliminate the fault.
Old 09-20-2007, 02:23 AM
RedfireMustang06GT
1st Gear Member

So it is only purely annoyance? Noloses?

I was hoping for a little more horsepower to the rear [Mustang Dyno, only pulled 288... so I know something is wrong, somewhere,, its got to??,, You see my mods below in the sig..] - Addedan Aluminum 4" Coast Driveshaft too; hence why I figured the "engine light" came into play with the horsepower somehow, through the cpu, etc.

I even went ahead and installeda brand new C&L racer filter just to ensure the pulls on the dyno where as accurate as possible, did oil change beforehand (Mobil1), etc. etc.. Just got it ready to go and shot fans also at the intake to help even make the numbers more accurate.(Any Dyno *dynojet, mustang dyno, etc .. still will always, alwaysfluctuate; obvioulsy from other factors, such as goodol'mother nature.

If that is the case, like you said possibly I could call to see if they have a way to removethe annoying light? (God i hated that seatbealt b/s too... lol, just to disarm the Drive S. and Pass. S.)[:-]With the SCT XCAL2,I'm assuming youcan't manually remove without a custom made tune uploaded to it...[8D]

What did youdoto eliminate your"light",with your SCT?

Know of anyone else that has made Dyno pulls with L/T Headers &the light was"on", then as in your case after you had it fixed, just tested to see if there was a "big" jump in the hp/tq curve?? Just curious...

Reed
Old 09-20-2007, 02:43 AM
ratnacage
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: RedfireMustang06GT

So it is only purely annoyance? Noloses?

I was hoping for a little more horsepower to the rear [Mustang Dyno, only pulled 288... so I know something is wrong, somewhere,, its got to??,, You see my mods below in the sig..] - Addedan Aluminum 4" Coast Driveshaft too; hence why I figured the "engine light" came into play with the horsepower somehow, through the cpu, etc.

I even went ahead and installeda brand new C&L racer filter just to ensure the pulls on the dyno where as accurate as possible, did oil change beforehand (Mobil1), etc. etc.. Just got it ready to go and shot fans also at the intake to help even make the numbers more accurate.(Any Dyno *dynojet, mustang dyno, etc .. still will always, alwaysfluctuate; obvioulsy from other factors, such as goodol'mother nature.

If that is the case, like you said possibly I could call to see if they have a way to removethe annoying light? (God i hated that seatbealt b/s too... lol, just to disarm the Drive S. and Pass. S.)[:-]With the SCT XCAL2,I'm assuming youcan't manually remove without a custom made tune uploaded to it...[8D]

What did youdoto eliminate your"light",with your SCT?

Know of anyone else that has made Dyno pulls with L/T Headers &the light was"on", then as in your case after you had it fixed, just tested to see if there was a "big" jump in the hp/tq curve?? Just curious...

Reed
I don't know how the light was eliminated (I pay someone to do that ), but I know it was done using my SCT Tuner (I think it simply turns off the lower O2 sensors, but don't quote me on that). Based on other people's results, Mustang dyno pulls are a bit lower than the results you'd get on a dynojet, so 288 at the wheels based on what you have doesn't sound out of line (what was your baseline?). I don't know how experienced your tuners are, but there may be some more power availablein tuning (maybe 5-10 hp). SCT has excellent customer service and tech support, so maybe your tuners can call and get some pointers? Before I knew you were making 288, I had figured you should be around 290-300 based on your mods - on a Dynojet. Before I added cams, I was making 306 at the wheels on a Dynojet (350 after cams). Other than the cams, my other mods relevant to HP are about the same as yours. Don't forget that temp, humidity, and altitude also affect the numbers.
Old 09-20-2007, 08:56 AM
MexGT
5th Gear Member

Hey Redfire ! First of all you aint loosing 1 hp just because you have the check engine light on, just ask the tuner u went with to turn off your rear O2 sensors in the tune he gave u and he will give you a new tune and problem solved. The check engine light appears because you have an O//R pype (no cats) or as ratncage said, because the signal of the O2 is coming a little late to the sensor and that causes the check engine light to appear (I did have that problem also!).
So don't worry