Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Where to buy brake pads?

Old 10-02-2007, 07:54 AM
Philostang
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Where to buy brake pads?

I tried the HPS pads and though it was a definite improvement over stock I wasn't super impressed. You might look into the high performance ceramic classes. I've recently tried out Carbotech and I LOVE them. By comparison to the Hawk pads, Carbotech are so much easier on the rotors and the stopping power is fantastic. I've got a set of Hawk Blue pads (track days) that I'm waiting to eat through so I can get into Carbotech's more aggressive race series w/o killing a set of rotors every few events.

Speaking of rotors, I'm not sure where UrS4 got his information, but you most certainly can turn down the rotors (front and back). I already have with no "special" issues. Of course, you must be within the minimum thickness, but that's nothing new.

Best,
-j
Old 10-02-2007, 06:35 PM
PonyGT2005
2nd Gear Member

For daily driving I was using the EBC Greens and Reds...in my experience they are way more consistent than Hawk.
I was running the EBC Yellow at the track with the stock brakes and was REALLY happy with those.
I upgraded to AP Racing calipers on the front and I am switching to a more aggressive race pad for track use (still testing) but I'll still probably run the EBC Yellow in the back regardless
Old 10-02-2007, 07:46 PM
UrS4
4th Gear Member

Philostang,

I got my information from a Ford mechanic when I brought my car in after starting to score the rears after a road racing event. He told me that you can't turn these S197 rotors because they didn't make them thick enough to be turned even once. I took his word for it, I guess he was putting one over on me and wanting me to get new rotors too. My bad.
Old 10-02-2007, 08:52 PM
22kart22
4th Gear Member

Woooo!!! Summit![8D]
Old 10-02-2007, 09:19 PM
Stoenr
5th Gear Member

I installed the HPS+ pads for a road course and kept them on for a year til the next road course event. 2 full day full track events with everyday driving and my only complaint is the brake dust is 10x worse than stock, and on colder days you get a brake squeal. Now with 20,000 miles 2 hard days of track racing my stock rotors are smooth as day one, no shimmy on high speed braking. Whoever says they are hard on the stock rotors may have another issue. possibly incorrect torquing of the lug nuts. Still work great on drag strip days for the 110-5 mph stops. No shimmy/pulsating. They are getting worn out, fronts close to 75% worn. I am debating on replacements soon. I'm to lazy to swap pads on track days, lol.
Old 10-03-2007, 03:26 AM
BlackBetty
2nd Gear Member

Thanks for the comments everyone. I'll look into EBC and Carbotech. I actually just checked out my stock pads, and they have a huge amount of thickness left, so it looks like I'll be waiting a little longer at least.

As far as the aggressiveness of the HP Plus, I want the most aggressive thing that will operate in the heat range of daily and aggressive driving. I don't care about noise or dust. With theheim jointsin the rear suspension, my car is plenty noisy and uncomfortable already, so I don't really mind a little added nastiness.

BTW I have 41,000 on the stock pads and, as above, they're quite healthy.
Old 10-03-2007, 09:06 AM
Stoenr
5th Gear Member

You dont drive hard enough! lol.
Old 10-03-2007, 12:29 PM
PayDay99
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Philostang

I've recently tried out Carbotech and I LOVE them.
+1
Old 10-04-2007, 01:28 PM
BlackBetty
2nd Gear Member

Seriously though, I drive rather aggresively (and in Ithaca, NY with lots of hills) and the car's been autocrossed a lot. I must have stock pads on steroids or something.

I looked around for the carbotech pads and couldn't find a vendor. Where did you guys order from?
Old 10-04-2007, 05:40 PM
PayDay99
1st Gear Member

google machine says ctbrakes.com

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Where to buy brake pads?