Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

car is incredibly different when cold

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2007, 09:18 AM
AmericanMuscle4.6GT
5th Gear Member

Default car is incredibly different when cold

im sure you all know what im talking about. when the car is cold; throttle response is fantastic, especially under light throttle blips, rpm's return to idle quickly, engine sounds nice and rough, low end torque feels very abundant. also, the car is louder. not just because it's idling higher. theres something else to it.

can someone shed some light? why can't the car be tuned to run this way all the time?
Old 10-03-2007, 09:25 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Default RE: car is incredibly different when cold

Good question about why can't they tune it to run that way all the time. It's common knowledge on the forum that our Stang's heat-soak pretty quickly.
Old 10-03-2007, 11:55 AM
Tungsten
2nd Gear Member

Yeah it's really unfortunate too....

I agree, the stang feels amazing when I first take it out of the neighborhood on the way to work. By the end of the freeway it acts like a fat kid who just got done running 5 miles.
Old 10-03-2007, 12:10 PM
Bmr4life
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Tungsten

Yeah it's really unfortunate too....

I agree, the stang feels amazing when I first take it out of the neighborhood on the way to work. By the end of the freeway it acts like a fat kid who just got done running 5 miles.
Wow, that is what I've noticed but could never put my finger on it. Stang will be nice and peppy when I pull onto the freeway but seem slower once I'm almost at work. I thought it was just me becoming velocitized or something.
Old 10-03-2007, 12:17 PM
slySTANGguy
2nd Gear Member

Just going to throw some facts out there....When air is colder, it is denser, which means there is more air per unit of volume when its cold compared to when its hot. There needs to be a certain amount of air to burn a certain amount of fuel, the ideal air/fuel ration, 12 parts air to 1 part fuel. The colder the air the more fuel it can hold per unit area, which means more power. Plus the colder air cools the engine down significantly more then hot air, that makes the intake temperatures even colder, holding more fuel, creating more power.
Old 10-03-2007, 12:18 PM
thaztrain35
2nd Gear Member

it never goes under 70 here so yeah.. i dont get to enjoy that feeling in the morning lol
Old 10-03-2007, 01:08 PM
D_Gusler
3rd Gear Member

I think an additional part to it, is that the vehicle is still in open loop mode.
Old 10-03-2007, 01:10 PM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

ORIGINAL: slySTANGguy

Just going to throw some facts out there....When air is colder, it is denser, which means there is more air per unit of volume when its cold compared to when its hot. There needs to be a certain amount of air to burn a certain amount of fuel, the ideal air/fuel ration, 12 parts air to 1 part fuel. The colder the air the more fuel it can hold per unit area, which means more power. Plus the colder air cools the engine down significantly more then hot air, that makes the intake temperatures even colder, holding more fuel, creating more power.
+1....simple physics really...you fell like you have a s/c under the hood in 40 or below weather
Old 10-03-2007, 01:30 PM
Tungsten
2nd Gear Member

There are several threads on the board regarding the heat-soak issue. I plan on doing a few things to try and minimize it, such as:

1. Heat Extractor, Cowl or Ram Air hood
2. Electric Water Pump
3. Fluidyne Radiator

Steeda claims their cowl hood keeps underhood temps within 5 degrees of ambient, vs. the stock hood which evidently can raise up to 100 degrees above ambient.

Old 10-03-2007, 01:33 PM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

^^ + 2

if there was just a way, to push more air
into the manifold when the car is at
operating temperatures , we'd be livin'
large

Quick Reply: car is incredibly different when cold