Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Stingers vs Pypes Mid-Muffler System Comparison

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2008, 04:08 PM
Darkness7
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Stingers vs Pypes Mid-Muffler System Comparison

I didn't actually have to pay for the stingers they came on the car so that was a plus for me. Keep in mind that I'm running an o/r h-pipe so that is a large reason why I can't hardly bear the MM's Maybe they do just need to wear in...but I doubt it will get any better. I'm personally just tired of wrestling the exhaust to line up correctly and to stay aligned.... we will see I might give em a second chance. But you guys are right....for the price they are pretty good. Especially from American Muscle $299 shipped! check em out! great company
Old 03-07-2008, 04:37 PM
Wilsonman02

is it possible to put the boom tubes on the end of the pypes MM?
Old 03-07-2008, 05:17 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Wilsonman02

Does axle back part of the MM's slip off?
Yes. It's just like any axle back muffler, but doesn't have a muffler.

ORIGINAL: VerginaStang

I love my pypes MM, but I am getting a bit of a vibration, and I have no idea where the eff its coming from. I am going to check the hangar and hangar bracket though... def sounds like its coming from the passenger side.

Also, the MM will sound better once they break in- They sound GREAT IMO.
The hangers on the axleback pipes were contacting the hanger brackets. Mine would look fine when under the car most of the time, but under load it would move just enough to cause metal to metal contact and start chirping like a cricket. It would also rattle and then start chirping sometimes.

The obvious fix would be to remove the hangers and reweld them, but I didn't have that luxury. I removed the stock exhaust brackets and used a grinder to remove some metal then repainted. I also slotted the bracket mounting holes so I could move the whole bracket back. If the hanger is touching the bracket you should see a point of contact on the hanger. It may not be very noticeable, but there should be some mark.
Old 03-07-2008, 06:00 PM
DarkFireGT
4th Gear Member

The hanger on my drivers side of my Pypes Violators was too long and hit the bumper support. I just hacked it off. Vibration solved. I love the sound of Pypes products on these cars. Now that it's been brought up, I'm also interested in how the MM system sounds with boom tubes. Hrm... Could just add a bit more character.
Old 03-07-2008, 08:45 PM
Darkness7
3rd Gear Member

ok ok ok check this out... my mind was wondering this, what would it sound like with the MM's and the stingers together??? I wonder if it would choke it down....although both mufflers are bullitt style free flowing???? $hit I mean I've tried practically everything else!!![sm=headbang.gif]
Old 03-07-2008, 08:54 PM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

it does calm the stingers down and gives them a deeper sound......they are like resonators sorta of i guess you could say....to me the trumpeting was also minimized
Old 03-08-2008, 06:49 AM
Darkness7
3rd Gear Member

howarmat,

Have you tried this then? MM's and stingers????
Old 03-08-2008, 01:38 PM
Larmo
4th Gear Member

Love my MM's (with o/r prochamber)... only thing I don't like it the trumpeting at mid-WOT.
Old 03-08-2008, 07:25 PM
damquick1
2nd Gear Member

Well mine are perfect run with a catted X, if you get them welded up it's even better, no vibration, no drone at 2100rpms like others have experienced. Get rid of the factory mounts and buy some of the aftermarket ones with the solid rubber bushings and wallah, no rattle, no vibration whatsoever, like other have mentioned measure up the ends where they slide into the mounts and trim off the excess that may hit the frame or rear pan mounts and you'll be fine. The MM system after about three months of usewill mellow out beautifully, a low growl at idle, aggressive tonewith a "blip" of the throttle, and smooth and mean as hell when you stomp it.
An easy install, just a little irritating getting them lined up perfectly, but I wouldn't trade it for anything now. As close to the 5.0 sound as you'll ever get.
Old 03-08-2008, 07:48 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Larmo

Love my MM's (with o/r prochamber)... only thing I don't like it the trumpeting at mid-WOT.
I get some trumpeting at half throttle, I kinda like it.

Quick Reply: Stingers vs Pypes Mid-Muffler System Comparison