Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

hellion turbo

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2007, 11:45 PM
hawgman
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: hellion turbo

The Hellion kit is made by Turbonetics. Hellion even uses the same pictures that are on the Turbonetics web site. It is a quality kit. Only thing that I would consider is upgrading the turbo, and maybe an electronic boost controller. But it is a nice kit right out of the box.
Old 10-14-2007, 07:10 AM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 2007GT/CS
2. The number of folks popping their bottom ends also seems to be higher. Again... boost should be boost. Does the turbo "hit" harder? Is it more difficult to get the A/F right and keep it there? Turbos easier to turn up excessively at the turn of a dial or change of spring? I dunno.
I don't know about hitting harder, but boost from a turbo has got to be hotter than boost from a twin screw. I'd be interested to see the difference in intake temperatures after intercooling with a whipple and hellion kit.

I don't have my IAT sensor after the intercooler, but I can check my cylinder head temps at WOT with the aeroforce gauge. I bet you the engine is overall hotter with a turbo and hotter = detonation = broken ****.
Old 10-14-2007, 09:29 AM
GT Bob
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: moosestang

I don't know about hitting harder, but boost from a turbo has got to be hotter than boost from a twin screw. I'd be interested to see the difference in intake temperatures after intercooling with a whipple and hellion kit.

I don't have my IAT sensor after the intercooler, but I can check my cylinder head temps at WOT with the aeroforce gauge. I bet you the engine is overall hotter with a turbo and hotter = detonation = broken ****.
Actually, exactly the opposite is true. As compressors go, a turbo is much more efficient than an SC and as such, induces less heat into the charge than an SC will. Most compressor maps of an SC are small enough to fit two or three times inside of a turbo's compressor map.

Tuning a turbo is harder than tuning an SC. An SC increases boost in a linear fashion in direct proportion to engine speed. It's really just about the same as tuning an NA engine; engine speed, vs throttle position.Turbo's, boost is made based on the heat in the exhaust, which is from engine load. I've seen setups make 20 psi of boost in 4th gear at 2500 rpm's when you floor it. With turbo's, you have to account for boost spikes, engine loads, throttle position and about a dozen other variables at every given throttle position.

Most guys who pop turbo motors come from one of three things;they get angry and turn up their boost controller too much, an odd boost spike, or they have a tune that runs then at the bare edge of safety and it gets hot enough to put the car a few points leaner.
Old 10-14-2007, 12:50 PM
fordfanboy
I ♥ Acer

I monitored IAT's with a vortech centrifugal blower, a Kenne Bell Twin Screw Blower, a T67mm precision turbo, and a T76mm Precision Ball Bearing Turbo and the IAT's were signifigantly higher with the turbos than they were with either type S/C.

Truth be told, the centrifugal produced the lowest IAT's of them all. The Twin Screw Blowers do not make boost gradually with engine speed. Centrifiguals do that. Twins screws produce instant boost same as a turbo. Average street driving IAT's on the 76mm was a dissasterous 127º on 16 psi.

Nobody is driving around on the street with an S197 single turbo kit over 16 psi. Garuntee it. You'll blow a headgasket quicker then you can exit the freeway.

The turbo kits are good for average power but they suck for big power unless you just want your car on a trailer IMO.

The only turbo guys that can run with me put their cars back on a trailer at the end of the night. If that's what your into, then great, but if you want to drive around and have big power too, I'd avoid the single turbo kits like the plague.
Old 10-14-2007, 01:19 PM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

thanks killer for bringing your real
world experience to the table.

i don't have a trailer, so i'll stick
with medium power and street
driveability

Old 10-14-2007, 01:34 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: GT Bob
Actually, exactly the opposite is true. As compressors go, a turbo is much more efficient than an SC and as such, induces less heat into the charge than an SC will. Most compressor maps of an SC are small enough to fit two or three times inside of a turbo's compressor map.
Compressing air creates heat of course, but when your compressor is being turned by extremely hot exhaust gases it can't help, but transfer some of that heat to the air charge. Besides that the ones mounted in the engine compartment make the whole engine compartment hotter. When a twin screw can create 10lbs of boost, only using 20 or less hp, while keeping underhood temps lower than a turbo then I don't see the point of using a turbo on a daily driver.

Old 10-14-2007, 01:40 PM
wadman
2nd Gear Member

Hammeron, Are you running a turbo? I would love to get a straight up response from someone running a single turbo. Its not to late for me to change my mind we are not going to order it till monday. I just want tire smoking power without havig to raise the hood everytime I go somewhere. I also want a car that sounds really cool.
Old 10-14-2007, 02:02 PM
fordfanboy
I ♥ Acer

I ran a centrifugal, a 67mm single turbo, a 76mm single turbo, and a KB all on the same car. How much more 'real world' do you want?...lol

For what you want - Whipple and some LT's would be my recommendation...
Old 10-14-2007, 02:02 PM
Stage4
2nd Gear Member

i'm running the hellion kit and love it. I only opted for the 62mm which i regret (should have gotten 76mm). I've been running about 14psi for several months now and it drives great on the street. Even my wife who can barely drive a manual has no issues with it. And if you want to go... it goes. I know my 1/4 mile times don't look great but it was my first time at the track on REALLY crappy tires. It's actually getting re-tuned this week to see what this turbo will put out. I've had it at 18psi temporarily and it still ran great - fuel was just becoming an issue so I installed a full MMR fuel kit. I've never had any issues with temperature either, even running it hard. Temperature gauge doesn't get any hotter than it did stock.
Old 10-14-2007, 02:05 PM
Stage4
2nd Gear Member

FordFanBoy also makes an excellent point... i haven't triedeverything. I just haven't had anytype of issues with my setup and love it.

Quick Reply: hellion turbo