Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

K&N w/o tune

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2007, 10:03 PM
surfbum7190
3rd Gear Member

Default K&N w/o tune

now that i got the flowmasters installed i am lookin at an intake. i dont want to tune the car though cause i want to keep it under warranty. has anyone had a K&N intake without the tune?? if so how is it and what kind of gains can i expect??? K&N's site says average gain of 15 hp, but doesnt specify if its to the wheels. thanks
Old 10-13-2007, 10:09 PM
GrabberO07

Default RE: K&N w/o tune

ORIGINAL: surfbum7190

now that i got the flowmasters installed i am lookin at an intake. i dont want to tune the car though cause i want to keep it under warranty. has anyone had a K&N intake without the tune?? if so how is it and what kind of gains can i expect??? K&N's site says average gain of 15 hp, but doesnt specify if its to the wheels. thanks
Sorry.. anything that doesnt require a tune is a waste of money. You will not see 15hp in my opinion. what voids a warranty is subjective... the dealer can NOT void your warranty due to a CAI. If you car has a problem other than the intake... they have to warranty it. the mod that you did.. and the problem with the car must be related. For example... your CAI can no way be the reason your rearend is knocking.... or the tranny blew... no relation. If your wanting the K&N for looks I say go for it... the filter itself is good for a few HP but no where near 15... I say more like 3-5 not much to speak of. I should know I had the AFE CAI on the car when I originally picked the car up from the dealer... AFE requires no tune.....lessoned learned not worth the money... again this is my opinion
Old 10-13-2007, 10:13 PM
alloutt
4th Gear Member

I had the K&N without a tune. Its nice, but I would chose something different if I had to do it again. You will notice it somewhat. I probually wouldn't get a CAI without a tune again. But if you are, lots of companies make intakes that don't require a tune. I would suggest the C&L street with the no tune option.
Old 10-13-2007, 10:21 PM
sactown
4th Gear Member

If you are dead set against a tune take a look at this
http://www.granatellimotorsports.com...rinduction.htm

their CAI don't require a tune and are very good, I would call them first just to be sure, but that was one of the CAI I was looking at before I went FI.
Old 10-13-2007, 10:27 PM
surfbum7190
3rd Gear Member

idk im just not confident in tuning my car right now... will the intake change the sound of the car?? also how is the installation?
Old 10-13-2007, 10:32 PM
alloutt
4th Gear Member

it won't change the sound of the car. The installation is easy.
Old 10-13-2007, 10:51 PM
onederful100
6th Gear Member

i have the K&N. i first put it in w/out the tune. i did notice a difference but did not have it dyno'd to check the hp. with my mods listed below i got 291 rwhp and 302 tq. i am now gonna change to JLT bc i have been told over and over again that the K&N CAI is my problem. the JLT is cheaper than the K&N, will give you at least double the hp of the K&N but you need a tune. the tune is easy just plug and play. the tuner is almost a necessary item if youre gonna mod your stang.
Old 10-13-2007, 10:59 PM
surfbum7190
3rd Gear Member

wow great product sactown.... 25 rwhp with no tune is pretty damn good. thanks
Old 10-14-2007, 12:26 AM
GrabberO07

ORIGINAL: surfbum7190

wow great product sactown.... 25 rwhp with no tune is pretty damn good. thanks
Surfbum.... I am going to have to educate you. DONT BELIEVE ADVERTISEMENTS. I call BS on 25hp with no tune... not possible. Without a tune NO COLD AIR KIT will produce big power like that. The TUNE is where you get your HP in unison with the CAI.
Old 10-14-2007, 06:50 AM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

I'm so tired of hearing the I don't want to tune it because of the warranty BS. If they really don't want to cover the repairs then they can blame the non-tuned CAI.

Tune the car you sissies!

Quick Reply: K&N w/o tune