Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

anyone running aftermarket clutch for DD??

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2007, 06:57 PM
07SCGT
2nd Gear Member

Default anyone running aftermarket clutch for DD??

I just installed a spec 3+ super twin w/ aluminum flywheel. Anyways today uring rush hour I had the toughest time in the stop and go traffic and actually noticed it was easier taking off from a stop in second rather than first. Everytime I took off in 1st I was chirping the tires. Second gear was a little shaky but I slipped the clutch out slowly. I guess my question is what is better for the car/ clutch taking off in second slow or chriping 1st almost everytime? I also think I am having more difficulty since I have 3.73's in the diff. At this point I am wondering about just doing 4.10's and swapping for a 6 speed tranny and just forgetting about 1st altogether..opinions suggestions?
Old 10-15-2007, 07:07 PM
Meangreen1200
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: anyone running aftermarket clutch for DD??

I have put in the Fidanza twin disc with the Aluminum flywheel. It is good but I know what you are talking about with the "On or Off". I will say however that the Fidanza is good in first gear take off as long as your RPM's are up a little. Over all I am happy with it.
Old 10-15-2007, 07:17 PM
07SCGT
2nd Gear Member

Yeah "on or off" is an excellent way of putting it. I am really starting to think about garaging the 'stang and getting another DD. When I started down the "mod road" I lived 5 minutes from work in Arizona. Now I live in San Diego, have a 45-60 minutes rush hour commute in stop and go traffic on the freeway, and to add to it, the hills are beating my front spoiler up bad. [:@]

I honeslty didn't think that the stage 3 would be that difficult to engage, I thought there would be somewhat of a friction zone. I am hoping that the clutch still just needs to be broken in.
Old 10-15-2007, 08:05 PM
Meangreen1200
2nd Gear Member

The problem with performance is you give up something. With the Performance clutch you give up a little drivability. Sorry to say I don't think it will get much better with your clutch, it's the nature of the beast so to speak.
Old 10-16-2007, 06:55 AM
baha
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 07SCGT

Yeah "on or off" is an excellent way of putting it. I am really starting to think about garaging the 'stang and getting another DD. When I started down the "mod road" I lived 5 minutes from work in Arizona. Now I live in San Diego, have a 45-60 minutes rush hour commute in stop and go traffic on the freeway, and to add to it, the hills are beating my front spoiler up bad. [:@]

I honeslty didn't think that the stage 3 would be that difficult to engage, I thought there would be somewhat of a friction zone. I am hoping that the clutch still just needs to be broken in.
Go back to the stock 3.31s or swap your manual with an auto

Seriously, why not go back to stock gears? it'll smooth your acceleration and minimise wheel spin. and with 450 rw torque you won't need 3.73s IMO.
Old 10-16-2007, 02:40 PM
Dex
5th Gear Member

I have the spec 3+ with fidanza flywheel and first gets a little easier. I only have around 200 miles on it and it keeps getting easier to drive. But rush hour would still suck.

usually it takes 500miles to break in a clutch. how many on yours?
Old 10-16-2007, 06:34 PM
Stage4
2nd Gear Member

i have the same clutch - after about 2000 miles it's much much better. I actually thought mine had issues because it was SO hard to drive at first, but now it's not much different than stock. just give it time
Old 10-16-2007, 08:51 PM
07SCGT
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Stage4

i have the same clutch - after about 2000 miles it's much much better. I actually thought mine had issues because it was SO hard to drive at first, but now it's not much different than stock. just give it time
Crossing my fingers that it gets easier, I actually drove into work at 4:45 to avoid rush hour it was that bad yesterday. I have about 100-120 miles on the clutch, and about an extra 2 inches of muscle mass on my left leg!!!
Old 10-16-2007, 09:02 PM
Timmay!!!
4th Gear Member

My centerforce is pretty smooth in rush hour. Pedal pressure is a bit more than stock but nothing inhumane.I've heard that while pedal pressure is stock-like on the specs the engagement is like a light switch. I have 4.10s and 2nd gear starts are pretty smooth although 1st is managable too.