Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Yes, yet another S/C question..or questions..

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2007, 07:32 PM
mlcrycc
5th Gear Member

Default Yes, yet another S/C question..or questions..

It DOES seem to be an epidemic lately.....I do believe I will be making the move in the next four weeks or so. And I have already settled on a Saleen blower. I think it would be the best choice for my daily driver. And, I already know which blower kit I want....So, on to the questions.....

1. This is the kit I have settled on...
http://www.brenspeed.com/mustang_200...leenstage2.jpg

Now, why would I spend more money, to get what I would consider an inferior kit, with this??
http://www.brenspeed.com/mustang_200.../saleen475.gif

Is this in an effort to maintain factory warranty, if installed by a Certified Saleen Dealership? If this is correct, my assumption is that it would only apply during the original 3 yr. 36,000 mile warranty on the 05's? So it really would not apply if a person had the extended warranty? Basically the balance of the extended warranty would be useless?

2. For those Saleen S/C owners in So Cal, where did you have your install done? How much did it run for the install? Was that with the installer furnishing the blower, or did you furnish it? What was included with the cost of installation? Gauges? Post install tune and or dyno?

3. Was there any "gotchas" that you learned afterward? What things should I be thinking about that I have not?

Thanks for the input group, I cannot wait to join the club!!

Mike

Old 10-15-2007, 07:42 PM
07SCGT
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Yes, yet another S/C question..or questions..

ORIGINAL: mlcrycc

It DOES seem to be an epidemic lately.....I do believe I will be making the move in the next four weeks or so. And I have already settled on a Saleen blower. I think it would be the best choice for my daily driver. And, I already know which blower kit I want....So, on to the questions.....

Not sure I had Saleen install mine

Now, why would I spend more money, to get what I would consider an inferior kit, with this??

Not sure Ihad Saleen install mine

Is this in an effort to maintain factory warranty, if installed by a Certified Saleen Dealership? If this is correct, my assumption is that it would only apply during the original 3 yr. 36,000 mile warranty on the 05's? So it really would not apply if a person had the extended warranty? Basically the balance of the extended warranty would be useless?

2. For those Saleen S/C owners in So Cal, where did you have your install done? How much did it run for the install? Was that with the installer furnishing the blower, or did you furnish it? What was included with the cost of installation? Gauges? Post install tune and or dyno?

I live in Arizona but made the drive to have my 3/36K in tact, I have an 07 so at the time it made sense. I did have an extended warratny but just went into the dealer and canceled it. They ended up giving me most of it back since it is pro-rated actual miles on your vehicle/ what the warranty miles coverage is,is what you will get back in the percentage.

3. Was there any "gotchas" that you learned afterward? What things should I be thinking about that I have not?

If you leave the factory pulley alone you will have the 3/36 powertrain warranty. I swapped my pulley out for a smaller one,so no powertrain warranty for me, however I still have the blower warranty.

Mike

Old 10-15-2007, 07:52 PM
mlcrycc
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 07SCGT

Not sure I had Saleen install mine

Not sure Ihad Saleen install mine

I live in Arizona but made the drive to have my 3/36K in tact, I have an 07 so at the time it made sense. I did have an extended warratny but just went into the dealer and canceled it. They ended up giving me most of it back since it is pro-rated actual miles on your vehicle/ what the warranty miles coverage is,is what you will get back in the percentage.

If you leave the factory pulley alone you will have the 3/36 powertrain warranty. I swapped my pulley out for a smaller one,so no powertrain warranty for me, however I still have the blower warranty.

Mike

Thanks for your input. Mind me asking how much the install was? How long did it take Saleen to do it?

Thx,
Mike
Old 10-15-2007, 08:18 PM
cheftjpeck
5th Gear Member

the only thing i still dont get about brenspeeds kits is why he states the 3.6 pulley is only a 6.5 psi kit. stock pulley (4.0 ) is 4-psi the 3.8 pulley is 6 and the 3.6 is 8 psi. also his flywheel hp is little light with the 3.6 pulley. I am getting 515 flywheel...yes I do have headers as well so that helps in torque and hp dept...but I would not think to the tune of 30 FWHP,,,,anyways...my 3.6 pulley I am getting 8psi. maybe he is rating it lower for shock value when you go higher...or maybe tune is not as good as my custom tune from VMP...(NO DISRESPECT TO BRENSPEED AT ALL>>THEY RULE) just curious why his quoted boost numbers and flywheel numbers so low...doesnt matter...you will love it...stay away from Saleens tune....brenspeed will hook you up right...TJ
Old 10-15-2007, 08:38 PM
mlcrycc
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: cheftjpeck

the only thing i still dont get about brenspeeds kits is why he states the 3.6 pulley is only a 6.5 psi kit. stock pulley (4.0 ) is 4-psi the 3.8 pulley is 6 and the 3.6 is 8 psi. also his flywheel hp is little light with the 3.6 pulley. I am getting 515 flywheel...yes I do have headers as well so that helps in torque and hp dept...but I would not think to the tune of 30 FWHP,,,,anyways...my 3.6 pulley I am getting 8psi. maybe he is rating it lower for shock value when you go higher...or maybe tune is not as good as my custom tune from VMP...(NO DISRESPECT TO BRENSPEED AT ALL>>THEY RULE) just curious why his quoted boost numbers and flywheel numbers so low...doesnt matter...you will love it...stay away from Saleens tune....brenspeed will hook you up right...TJ
TJ,
Did you dyno at VMP, or mail order your Saleen tunes? I'm running a Justin tune right now, and absolutely love it. I love Brent's tunes as well, but here in CA, Justin's 91 tune just flat kicks butt.....

Thanks for the input, anything else I need to know about the blower??

Mike
Old 10-15-2007, 09:32 PM
sactown
4th Gear Member

Change the clutch/flywheel before the SC install if you are stick, but KEEP THE STOCK SHIFTER at least for awhile, I started with the Hurst then Pro5.0 and now I will probably be going back to stock in the next week or 2, just to see if the stock is better I don't what the problem is with the other shifters but I just either can't get it into the gear or at the track my shifting time is much longer.

As for the warranty the main thing to remember is that the dealer ship has to prove that the mods cause your problem, I have the dealership change my oil and they have not said anything about my mods and are even going to bleed my clutch as part of the warranty work. Just be nice to your service writter and try to use the same one eveytime and you should be good. Plus the SC is not going to affect such things as brakes..
Old 10-15-2007, 09:34 PM
06Saleen3V
6th Gear Member

Sactown, is it absolutely necessary to change the clutch/flywheel before upgrading to the blower? and why?
Old 10-15-2007, 09:38 PM
cheftjpeck
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: cheftjpeck

TJ,
Did you dyno at VMP, or mail order your Saleen tunes? I'm running a Justin tune right now, and absolutely love it. I love Brent's tunes as well, but here in CA, Justin's 91 tune just flat kicks butt.....

Thanks for the input, anything else I need to know about the blower??

Mike
Mike
yeah had it custom tuned by Justin at VMP....it was a huge difference...had a limp tune put in by the installer...but he just did enough to get me safely to VMP. Never used a mail order tune from Justin. but if anything like his custom tunes they rock...cool thing with justin is he has tuned a few saleen sc s197 here and he has allot of good tunes to start with...other things about the blower....yeah, invest in a good toothpaste...you want your teeth to be white, because you will be smiling allot......but really, in all seriousness: make sure you have a target and try to stick to it....know what numbers you want and what it takes to get there..otherwise you will be upgrading,,,again and again and again...personally I was looking to get 400 rwhp...so i went with the 3.8 pulley...then upgraded to the 3.6...now would like the 3.4 if I had the fule pump to support it...its like every other gorgeous mod you have put on your car....it never ends...I feel like I am done for a while...but invest in some good stuff to protect and give you that piece of mind with your car...not HAVE TO HAVES...but nice to haves...gauges....fuel pressure, boost/vac, wideband a/f........I forget if your car is manual or auto...but be thinking if an auto about T/C upgrade....deeper pan..etc (again if auto)...better brakes if you already dont have and stock in a tire company.... good luck...if you need any help or questions...please ask...I may not know all the answers...but I can usually find them pretty quickly...GOOD LUCK MIKE....
TJ
Old 10-15-2007, 09:43 PM
sactown
4th Gear Member

that is a yes and no question.. There are 2 reasons first with the additional HP from the SC the stock clutch will not last as long, particularly if you are like myself and make a trip to the track twice a month (sometimes more), but the other reason is that with the Saleen SC you must drop the motor to the change the clutch, because the Saleen SC almost hits the firewall on the GT's, without dropping the motor you can't tilt the motor to remove the tranny, so it cost a considerable amount more to change the clutch after the SC install than before the install because of the time it takes to drop the motor. It is not necessary but a good idea.
Old 10-15-2007, 09:44 PM
sawyer
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 06Saleen3V

Sactown, is it absolutely necessary to change the clutch/flywheel before upgrading to the blower? and why?
Got 25k on the stock clutch 13k with the blower no slipy yet. DD never to the track.

Quick Reply: Yes, yet another S/C question..or questions..