Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

HP Performance turbo kit

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2007, 07:49 PM
ThrottleJunkie

Default HP Performance turbo kit

I just recently picked up the latest issue of Mustangs and Fast Fords because I have always had a fond interest in Mustangs, and the S197's have really done it for me. In the issue, there's an advertisement for an HP Performance turbo kit capable of 700 horsepower. I'm not discrediting the ad, because I'm still new to Mustangs, but on their website it says that it will support up to 1000 hp (with upgraded turbo etc) while "retaining factory accessories." As far as I know, the stock bottom ends are only good for about 500 hp so what exactly do they mean by factory accessories. Does anyone have experience with this company? Good? Bad? It seems like a hell of a deal for $4500 if it's legit. Thanks in advance guys. I look forward to becoming part of the mustang community sometime next spring. Right now I'm just learning as much as I can about them until I'm ready to take the plunge.
Old 10-15-2007, 08:06 PM
shooter23
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: HP Performance turbo kit

Air Conditioning, Power Steering, etc, etc

Yes, its capable of supporting that much, becuase its a huge turbo...would take forever to spool...but you'd need to build the bottom end of your engine first. Just because the turbo can support it, doesnt mean your rotating assembly can. Need to get some forged internals in there, and you'll be good. Block can hold up to 1000HP...

Hope that helps!
Old 10-15-2007, 10:06 PM
ThrottleJunkie

That's what I figured. There aren't too many cars out there that can handle that kind of power in stock form. This is why I love American cars, though. You can build an entire forged rotating assembly for $1,500. I have a CAI and catback exhaust on my BMW and it cost me pretty much the same.

I'm assuming a heavy duty clutch would be a necessity, no?
Old 10-16-2007, 06:09 AM
Speedyejl
2nd Gear Member

For 1000hp? Your going to need to replace A LOT

But everything else stock ~475rwhp is safe and proven many time over reliable for S197s

Old 10-16-2007, 06:16 AM
baha
3rd Gear Member

I have an auto but from what I've heard a new and better clutch is always a good idea when adding FI, it usually is the first thing to give up in these cars even without big horsepower numbers.

As for the HP turbo kit, i've thought about it 'cause as you said the price is incredible compared to other turbo kits in the market but can't find any feedback or first hand experience with 'em so I'm most likely going with either Brenspeed's Hellion kit or the Powerhouse411 kit, i hear nothing but good things about both.
Old 10-16-2007, 03:28 PM
nem
2nd Gear Member

call HP and ask for Tom Barry, he can help you. I lookedinto this kit . the only issue i saw it is for offroad use deletingthe CATS. another great kit is from turbonetics which retains the stock cats and pricing is very good. I met up with matt blassi from this forum to see the turbonetics kit. very clean looking kit and very quiet turbo also. contact Jesse @ turbokits. heres a link

https://mustangforums.com/m_2263740/tm.htm
Old 10-21-2007, 06:11 PM
ThrottleJunkie

So do the S197's respond better to turbos or blowers? I know turbos can make more power safely, but do the superchargers provide any advantages over the snails?
Old 10-21-2007, 08:12 PM
Lito
2nd Gear Member

I've just ordered mine with a 67mm BB turbo, the thing with HP is the time they take to have things ready, he promised me 4-5 weeks this time, Jet Hot included, last time we ordered a TT for a friend's car and had to wait 4 months for the piping that was at the Jet Hot, but I must say almost everything came as expected and the quailty is good. I went the HP way because that the Hellion kit goes under the k-member and given where I live it was not an option. If you dont use your car daily and basically on main roads or like it for the strip, I say go with the hellion kit from Brenspeed, you should have it in your door witihin 2 weeks, complete (his kit is the same hellion but with everything you need, including gapped spark plugs and a tune) catted or off road.

I've talked with HP and they told me that a couple of small high flow cats could be fitted in the down pipe, I will check once I get it, I was thinking on the pypes ones that doesnt look too big. I'll check how loud it sounds and if I can stand the fumes where I park it off road first. Where I park the car is a very enclosed place and takes some time to do it so when I parked the old fox there (cammed so it stinked pretty much) I ended smelling very bad, that is something I value with this new catted car. We have no emissions control here so I can stay offroad if I wish, lets see.

What they say on HPs is what the kit can make if you match it with a engine that could handle them, the magic with the turbo is that is variable, for example, my plan is to have a boost control with a low boost of 4-5 psi, press a button and you have more, whatever you want, 8, 9, 15.

By personal experience, we have tested cars from sc to turbo and the psi of a turbo make way more power than a supercharger, in moving a sc you waste too much energy, something that does not happen with the turbo. The power/torque curve is more stable every time with a sc, the turbo depends on exahust pressure, they are different. For what I've seen, I prefer turbo and now that turbo kits are getting in the same price level of supercharges I think thats the way to go.