Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Help a Newbie out!

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2007, 08:30 PM
Shock521
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Help a Newbie out!

coming from an auto owner, go with the the stick. i drove my friends old *** bmw that was a 5 speed. i was just thinking the whole time how much fun my car would be with a 5 speed. oh well. auto is still a lot of fun, but if you have the choice, go for manual.
Old 10-18-2007, 12:01 AM
Bluestar
5th Gear Member

Yeah.........Get the Stick
Old 10-18-2007, 11:52 AM
ccwebb
1st Gear Member

Thanks for all the great info. This helps!

LT_HAWK thanks for the tire reco. The F1's looks and sound great. Nice Firehawk...I always loved that car.

So I'm going with a stick-shift. Now that's out of the way...My frst lesson in aftermarket mods is: S/C's=$$$!!!

I knew they weren't cheap but...5 to 6K for a Whipple twin screw. Well let's just say that I may be readjusting my expectations a bit.

I want to have a Mustang that handles great on twisty roads, has about an additional 100HP and whatever torque gains come with it. Perhaps a non s/c route (i.e. less expensive) can achieve this gain?

Anyway, going to test drive a manual GT today. The dealership I went to yesterday didn't have a single manual GT on the lot.

Again thaks for the info. Any other suggestions, recommendations, info is greatly appreciated.
Old 10-18-2007, 12:01 PM
06Saleen3V
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ccwebb

I want to have a Mustang that handles great on twisty roads, has about an additional 100HP and whatever torque gains come with it. Perhaps a non s/c route (i.e. less expensive) can achieve this gain?
Getting an additional 100 horses N/A, you will end up costing yourself just as much as a supercharger and be getting less power...

ORIGINAL: ccwebb

Anyway, going to test drive a manual GT today. The dealership I went to yesterday didn't have a single manual GT on the lot.
I wonder why they had no moremanuals on the lot...that wouldn't have anything to do with them being more wanted would it?
Old 10-18-2007, 03:04 PM
ccwebb
1st Gear Member

06Saleen3V,

Thanks for clarifying the power gain.

Sounds I'll skip the s/c and 100 HP goal and just be happy with what I can afford to do.

About the dealership. Yeah, it was pretty funny when the salesman told me that they don't the rarley get manuals because "nobody really wants them."
Old 10-18-2007, 03:19 PM
roman_helmet

def. buy a stick i love mine and about the superchargaer idunno what you plan on doing with your car (drag or street) but if you plan to use it for street driving more than strip i would suggest you look into a turbo rather than a supercharger. reason being is that a supercharger is constantly running from the moment u turn the key until you turn your car off. this causes your motor to pull more air and fuel into it to keep the s/c running. a turbo only really runs at higher rpms when it is needed to "recycle" exhaust shooting it back through the motor for that boost so yin the long run it saves more gas i dunno kids up my way buy 4k-6k superchargers and then bitch they have no gas just a mindful suggestion
Old 10-18-2007, 04:41 PM
ccwebb
1st Gear Member

Roman_Helmet.

Thanks for that explanation, I think that's the first time I've ever really understood the difference between supercharger and turbo.

Yeah, my car will be a street car only and with the miles I drive a supercharger might be a bad idea for my wallet.

Old 10-18-2007, 04:58 PM
06Saleen3V
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: roman_helmet
reason being is that a supercharger is constantly running from the moment u turn the key until you turn your car off. this causes your motor to pull more air and fuel into it to keep the s/c running. a turbo only really runs at higher rpms
Meaning when you have a twin-screw s/c, you will have boost all the time and whenever you need it
Old 10-18-2007, 05:16 PM
ccwebb
1st Gear Member

Believe me I'd love to have an s/c but it's just not realistic for my budget. Would be awesome though!
Old 10-18-2007, 05:44 PM
Shadofax

I wish I got a stick [:@]want to trade!

Quick Reply: Help a Newbie out!