Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Ok, definitely a TS, but which

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2007, 07:41 AM
batmobile2005
2nd Gear Member

Default Ok, definitely a TS, but which

wow, judging by the poll that i put up, its almost unanimously twin screw superchargers, and judging by what i want, ill go with that. ive been looking around and i really really like the whipple HO kit with the intercooler and all those goodies. since they all seem to be around the same price, are there any better superchargers out there? thanks in advance and thanks again for the great response to the poll
Old 10-18-2007, 08:33 AM
drbobvs
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Ok, definitely a TS, but which

The biggest issues for me were 1)Price. 2)I was going to install it myself. 3)Reliablility

I was going to get the KB b/c it comes with a tune that is spot on, and excellent instructions which would make it easier to install and run myself.

However price won out, as UndergroundMustang made me an offer on the Saleen I couldn't refuse. The reliability of the Saleen is second to none and JDM wasn't that far away for a nice tune too.

PSI for PSI they are all within 20hp of eachother depending on how aggressive you get with the tune. If you're not going to install it yourself then I would get whichever onethe shop that will be installing it has the most experience with. Better to have 10hp less with a knowledgable shop and support than 10 hp more with unreliablility.
Old 10-18-2007, 09:35 AM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

don't forget the steeda-magnason, it
has a cool jack shaft setup
Old 10-18-2007, 10:21 AM
mygt500
Multi-Tasking Moderator!

Isn't the magnason limited to about 400RWHP on 9 psi of boost!? Very good S/C but you wont have the upgradeability in the future should this be what you want to do. I would go with theKB if you want huge boost later on on a built motor or the Whipple if you want a little less boost and in the long run I know both will run over 15+ PSI of boost. JMO but you must ask yourself what you plan on doing in the future as to which S/C to go with.....
Old 10-18-2007, 11:08 AM
batmobile2005
2nd Gear Member

i like the kenne bell s/c, but for a daily driver car that is otherwise stock, and im not gonna drop a new engine into it, is it too much? i heard somewhere that more than 8 pounds of boost will be bad for an engine in the long run (i guess they all will do that, but above 8 does it quicker for a stock engine)
Old 10-18-2007, 11:14 AM
PLstang
5th Gear Member

I ordered a KB last Monday. Hope the shop receives it soon. The reasons for me were that the shop I use is the only KB authorized installer in Texas (that’s the big one) and the KB seemed to have the most potential. Price didn’t factor into my equation.
Old 10-18-2007, 11:21 AM
batmobile2005
2nd Gear Member

after looking on the steeda site, it says for the whipple sc that i should put some forged rods and pistons into the car for durability. any thoughts? also, if they are right, is there anything else i need to replace on a stock car so that it doesnt break under stress?
Old 10-18-2007, 11:53 AM
06Saleen3V
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: batmobile2005

i like the kenne bell s/c, but for a daily driver car that is otherwise stock, and im not gonna drop a new engine into it, is it too much? i heard somewhere that more than 8 pounds of boost will be bad for an engine in the long run (i guess they all will do that, but above 8 does it quicker for a stock engine)
You dont need a new motor to handle the bigger boost, just stronger internals. Doesnt cost a rediculous amount but it isn't cheap either. Since you havent even supercharged the ride yet, I wouldn't start with over 8lbs of boost. Get used to driving with that first then crank up the boost a little later
Old 10-18-2007, 12:22 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

I didn't like the idea of pushing 460rwhp on the stock engine, but I did like the whipple HO kit. I just bought an 8psi pulley to go along with it.
Old 10-18-2007, 02:57 PM
Pwny
4th Gear Member

I would go with the Whipple.